Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeffr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,164
Message 1 of 7

Endless restart loop Windows 10 on Thinkpad Yoga Machine type 20CD

Hello,

One of our ThinkPad Yoga goes into an endless loop when attempting to reboot. The O/S was upgraded from Windows 8.x (as shipped) to Windows 10 (MS free upgrade) a long time ago and there have been no previous issues restarting. I believe the version of Windows is 10 Home Edition. The HDD is almost fully utilised (1 gig free). Irrespective of the options taken, on boot up the screen flickers what looks like a CMD window in the top left of the display twice very quickly, then after the Lenovo splash screen is displayed:

• Preparing automatic repair
  • Then Diagnosing your PC
  • Automatic Repair
  • Your PC did not start correctly

Restart just continues in the loop irrespective when continue or repair is selected.

I’ve taken Advanced options:

• Continue – Just continues in the loop
    • Use a device – I’ve tried creating another rescue boot disk from another yoga without a CD Rom – attempting to create it on a USB stick but the create repair disk in Windows 10 Pro doesn’t allow USB stick as an option
    • System restore point shows me 4 states however when selecting any I get the message the backup drive cannot be found
    • I can access a CMD prompt
    • Startup repair - couldn’t repair your PC  see log file c:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\SrtTrail.txt.  I’ve attached this file that I copied to USB via the CMD Prompt.  

I have renamed the file from txt to doc. The error message in the log file states The operating system version is incompatible with Startup Repair

1. How do we covercome this problem please? As this PC was upgraded from V8.x we don’t want to restore to V8.x and if possible just want to repair or resurrect the last good known restore point.
  2. On another Thinkpad Yoga (X1) Machine type 20F0 with Win 10 Professional installed, I have tried creating a rescue disk but am not given the optoin of creating it to a USB Stick (only CD ROM option), to enable the other Thinkpad Yoga to be started.
  3. Will the reset pin at underside of the machine always reset to the machine to factory
  4. How can we get the prompts to boot the PC into safe mode?
  5. What is the best way to re-enable Windows 10 on this PC?

All reponses appreciated.

Thanks.

Guru
Views: 3,073
Message 2 of 7

Re: Endless restart loop Windows 10 on Thinkpad Yoga Machine type 20CD

Hi.

If you want to go with the option of Windows 10 reinstall from scratch. What is the problem botting from the USB?

Can you check on the computer BIOS the boot device order and put USB first?

Generate the Windows 10 USB Flash drive from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool web site.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Jeffr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,987
Message 3 of 7

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.  I was eventually able to get into the BIOS pressing the enter key on boot up before the start-up error dialogue but needed to be very quick.  I was able to select USB boot from the recovery advanced options.  Safe mode start from the advanced options also didn’t overcome the startup problem.  

I've created a  USB Windows install Image in an attempt to repairs but it’s not possible and Windows wants a clean install with 10gb free.  

The (factory) partitioning is

1 - WINRE_DrV (Recovery Type)  1 GB

2 - SYSTEM_DRB  260 MB

3 - MSR Reserve 128 MB

4 - Windows8_) 106GB  (Windows, apps & user data)  (almost full)

5 - Lenovo_Recovery - 11.9 GB

As the Lenovo Recovery Partition 5 would likely be the Windows 8.1 not usable for a Windows 10 recovery, can this partition be either updated to that it can be useful for Windows 10 or deleted and space extended from Partition 4 without losing the current contents of Partition 4 before reinstalling windows, or partition 5 converted  to a usable separate partition for some user data?

Thanks

Jeff

Guru
Views: 2,979
Message 4 of 7

Hi Jeff.

If your Windows partition is almost full it will be hard to reinstall the OS. I would recommend you to take a backup first of your files. My persoal preference is to wipe everthing (all partitions) and let Windows installer to reasign the partitions. The good thing is that you can install "Lenovo Companion" to install any missing driver from the internet or visit the support site for your model.

I think it is important you take a backup no matter which way you reinstall Windows.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Jeffr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,965
Message 5 of 7

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  One of the issues is that if I remove partitions to enable Windows installation to decide, the Windows licence code will be lost and the user doesn't have a record of it to re-enter it on installation.   I've read that when reinstalling on an existing Windows installation, the licence/activation code is not required to be entered so I dont want to jeopardise that.  Is there some way of ascertaining the licence code via a command prompt? I can only get a  command prompt via the recovery console - no GUI.   Posssibly a switch on slmgr.vbs or some other way?

I've used xcopy /s all the files & folders under c:\users\<username>. 

Would you recommend WBadmin or some other backup utility? 

The laptop can access a USB stick but not a large external USB HDD.   Once backed up, I would probably like to expand the backup image to separate files onto a large external drive to pick & choose data files to restore. 

Guru
Views: 2,956
Message 6 of 7

Hi.

About the Windows license, I'm also old school and I thought it got erased, but on modern laptops with UEFI BIOS the Windows  license get stored on the BIOS.  Here it is an article that list this command:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I had reinstalled Windows 10 on my Thinkpad Yoga 14 and on the installation procedure the installer just grab the key from the BIOS without asking me anything.

Check out if to command gives you the key.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Jeffr
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,922
Message 7 of 7

Hi <Maretin,

I also read that it got erased. UEFI BIOS I tried your suggestion of

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

But got error:

Description = Not Found

I've seen this mentioned on other forums too.

I also tried backing up with WBAdmin, using

WBADMIN start backup  -backuptarget:E: - include:c: -allcritical -quiet

but got the message that

Start Backup command is not supported in Windows recovery Environment

The backup operation stopped before completing

The operation ended before completion

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors