US

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 4

Error 2100 - SSD working fine, but not booting into laptop

2016-09-12, 19:37 PM

Uhg. So hello folks.

So I was using my laptop this morning and ran into an issue - it bluescreen'd and immediatly shut down. Trying to boot it up yeilded what I came to know as one of the most annoying errors I have experianced in my entire life - error 2100, proclaiming that there is a read error in my drive. 

Now, this is something I have been working on trying to fix for the last 4 hours or so with little success. Unlike other posters, I have mounted the same drive on another PC and the files were all there and it mounted without a hitch. Now, I have yet to attempt to boot from it, but at least I know the drive is not the problem.

So I have cleaned the contacts, checked the connection from the controller to the mother board, and nothing seems to work. The only solution that I have yet to try is to update the firmware, but there is a very obvious problem with that - the only non-onboard way to do that is by disc - which sucks, because the Thinkpad Yoga 12 does not have a disc drive. I really do need this laptop to work as soon as possible, and it is upsetting to me that a laptop that is only around a year old is already starting to fail. 

If anyone has any insight to offer, I would be most grateful.

Options

2043 Posts

02-28-2012

EC

1811 Signins

32338 Page Views

• Views: 32338
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Error 2100 - SSD working fine, but not booting into laptop

2016-09-14, 20:10 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you please specify the full model number of your Thinkpad Yoga 12? Maybe it is something posted on the support site but it is important to know the full model number.

I was trying to find something similar on the forums about the 2100 error, but I'm not sure if this thread applies to you. Other thread says that the cable from Motherboard to HDD controller was not plugged in correctly, but I can not know since they don't specify which Thinkpad Yoga they have. .

My thoughts are:

• If the machine is under warranty open a ticket with Lenovo for they to check the machine. If it is not under warranty they will charge you.
  • If you want to fix it by yourself and do some "trial and error" try to find another SDD (if you have some other) and check if it works, try to install Windows and maybe you can install the firmware updates.
  • Can you access the computer BIOS ? Does it list the SSD as plugged?

Sorry that I don't know much about this error, but I hope you can get more hints about the issue.

Regards.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic"
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Like" for Ego Boost !!

Options

14 Posts

01-02-2009

US

26 Signins

324 Page Views

• Views: 324
  • Message 3 of 4

2017-01-03, 4:48 AM

I have a similar issue. T530 with Samsung 840 EVO SSD running Arch Linux. Been running fine (for three years) then just wouldn't boot. Got the "2100: Detection error" screen of death but the drive passes Lenovo diagnostics (SMART tests, ...). With an Arch or Ubuntu Live CD it boots and I can mount the SSD (and made a full backup). I reformatted the SSD and put a new OS on it, but it still drops right into the boot menu like it doesn't see the bootable disk at all.

I guess it could be a disk issue even though it passes all tests and reads/writes fine. But with the original mechanical disk, the system boots up normally.

The T530 is out of warranty, and Lenovo support told me I can send it in with $650 pre-pay for service. But since it works with another disk, I fear they'll just say "works for me" and return it. If I buy a new SSD and it still doesn't work (proving its a Lenovo hardware/firmware issue) I'm out the cost of the SSD (as I will have had to break the seal on the box to test). And Lenovo still might not see the issue should I send it in.

The laptop is in great shape otherwise, mostly used as a desktop for my work (it travels rarely and safely in a good case). Is three years the lifetime for a Lenovo T-series? I'd like to stay in the Lenovo family, but is it time to buy a Dell XPS? :(

Options

14 Posts

01-02-2009

US

26 Signins

324 Page Views

• Views: 324
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-01-03, 16:53 PM

@gijs on the linux-thinkpad mailing list just forwarded me this link:

http://superuser.com/questions/734073/2100-detection-error-on-hdd0-black-screen-error-lenovo-thinkpad-carbon-x1#797119

...in which Jason C reports: "the drive is still usable, just not by the BIOS for some reason" which is what I'm seeing.

There appear to be two issues that can cause the problem:

1) motherboard defect that fries SSDs

2) dirty L-shaped connector

I'll try cleaning the connector and report back.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete