Options

36 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 1 of 25

Getting your full 24GB From ExpressCache!

2013-02-03, 21:48 PM

The purpose of this thread is to remove your 8GB for fast resume from hibernate or sleep and get more express cache.  All Twist computers assume you have 8GB of RAM even if you have 4GB... which wastes 4GB of cache.  You could modify this procedure to fix that issue and still fast resume.

Before starting, Check out disk manager in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.  I have 4 partitions on my main drive (the 500GB one).  Two recovery partitions, a main partition, and an EFI System partition. On my SSD I have two partitions, one for expresscache of 16GB and one for intel Rapid Start of 8GB.

I don't hibernate or sleep much on my computer.  The 8GB partition on your computer is for Intel Rapid Start technology which is for fast resuming.  If you have 4GB of ram (like I do) you are already wasting 4GB because that Rapid Start partition should only be 4GB.  I don't like that Lenovo did this...

So... I decided to delete that 8GB partition and make one 24GB SSD partition for Expresscache to use since I don't care about fast resuming as much as fast using.  Here are the steps I used, and if you have more information please tell me (I.E. If I try to hibernate will my computer crash? Do I need to uninstall some Rapid Start Software? Me testing shows no).

You cannot delete OEM partitions with disk management... so you have to use DISKPART

To delete those partitions:

I hit the start key (Windows 8) and typed DISKPART and opened that, or you can find the command prompt and type it in.

DO AT OWN RISK!!! And you must open PowerShell or CMD as an ADMIN

To delete the two partitions here are the basic steps. Use DISKPART to delete the partitions:

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 1 (whichever your SSD is)

LIST PARTITION

SELECT PARTITION 1

DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE

LIST PARTITION

SELECT PARTITION (Pick correct number, should only be one)

DELETE PARTITION OVERRIDE

Now exit diskpart by typing exit or opening a new command prompt. 

Check out disk management, it should have empty space there now.

Type in command prompt:

ECCMD -PARTITION

It should take all that empty space and make it a partition.  Check out disk management and see if it's allocated

Type ECCMD -info and watch it use up the 24GB now.  8 more GB of caching!

If this is completely off or wrong let me know so I can fix any wrongdoing.

Options

18 Posts

10-18-2012

Burbank, ca

40 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 2 of 25

Re: Getting your full 24GB From ExpressCache!

2013-02-04, 18:44 PM

What you have posted is entirely correct but I doubt that you will gain much benefit from a cache size increase from 16GB to 24GB. ExpressCache is specifically designed to take advantage of smaller cache sizes. The difference in performance bertween a 16GB cache and a 24Gb cache will be slight, if anything at all. In doing this you will have to weigh whether it is worth eliminating the resume advantage...

Options

36 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Message 3 of 25

2013-02-04, 21:19 PM

Thank you for verifying this will work.  I really don't care at all about resume performance.... so this is a win for me.  My full 16GB of cache was used and kept noticing times I was hitting the HD pretty often.  I'll gladly take a 50% upgrade in capacity.

Options

498 Posts

12-11-2012

North Carolina

274 Signins

15035 Page Views

• Views: 15035
  • Message 4 of 25

2013-02-04, 22:08 PM

Interesting information, I dont think I would personally benefit form it, however Im sure others will!

Thanks for the post EricKit!

Thank you for being a part of the Lenovo Family,

Catie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"
Options

36 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Message 5 of 25

2013-02-07, 19:02 PM

Thanks, hope it helps anyone haha... slightly scarry to do at first but it's really not a big deal.

Options

5 Posts

02-16-2013

los angeles

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 6 of 25

2013-02-17, 15:34 PM
Did you have to reinstall ExpressCache after repartitioning the mSata from 16gb to 24gb? If you did, where did you find the ExpressCache install program?
Options

2 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 25

2013-03-06, 16:57 PM

Interesting, I might try this but I think I will do something a little different.  I want to use hibernate function.  By default my twist is not configured to do so.  Instead, I guess it is using rapid start technology.  I guess it does at least because I cannot find anything on the computer about intel rapid start...but I have seen it mentioned in the forums and I also can see a 7gb partition on the ssd which should be for that function.

So...what I would do is use your method to increase the expresscache partition to use the entire SSD, and then simply preload hiberfil.sys using eccmd -preload c:\hiberfil.sys.  This should allow the twist to go into full hibernate mode when closing the lid, saving battery power, (and is also safer for file integrity in the case of a system failure since sleep does not save your data to disk) and resuming from hibernate should be speedy as well since we are caching hiberfil.sys.  The file should take up 4gb so in the end you have more caching space.

Options

36 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Message 8 of 25

2013-03-07, 19:24 PM

Sorry for the long time no answer!  No you don't have to reinstall it since it is already installed and you aren't messing with the partition.  The directions tell you how to reinitialize it and it will find the full new partition nicely! It's the ECCMD -Partition line that does it.

And Spatulator... I don't think you can access your drive once ExpressCache claims it.  Let me know if I'm wrong but right now you shouldn't be able to access those 8GB anywhere. You would need to create a new partition the size of hiberfil.sys then it would work great (It'll be around 4GB instead of 8GB and you can add 4GB to ExpressCache)!  Good luck!

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 9 of 25

2013-04-23, 9:01 AM

After double checking ExpressCache usage through command: "eccmd -info". I found it wasn't even using more than 2GB from the SSD.

So I followed your steps but after deleting whole disk I made a new partition that was 4 GB and another which is the rest of space i.e. about 18GB. Then deleted the 4GB partition and ran command: "eccmd -partition".

now the ExpressCache took control of the 4GB empty space. My imp. files which are only 12GB are on my new SSD partition and should run faster than ever insha'Allah >_<

Note: I tried to remove ExpressCache altogether and use all my 24GB SSD but computer was really slow. Don't do it :P

[EDIT]

after this I got "HFS Volume is not mounted" message in command line whenever checked for "eccmd -info"

only way to get it back to work is to delete all the 24GB and let it take control of it :\ even tried giving it only 16GB

like it was but I got same error "HFS Volume is not mounted". The solution was to restart ;)

If you want to get back some space for Intel rapid. You got to define a separate space and type in command: "list volume". Then select volume you want to give to Intel let it be 8 by command: "select volume 8". Then assign ID 84 to volume by command: "set id=84 override". [Ref. Acer forums]

Then when you install Intel rapid it will take that partition/volume automatically again. While you have to do this step before going through assigning ExpressCache volume/partition/space.

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 10 of 25

2013-04-23, 15:50 PM

After I made the "amazing division": 6GB for "Intel Rapid Start", 14GB for "me as a new partition" and 2.3GB for ExpressCache.

I found it wasn't worth it as all my programs are on the HDD and having some files on SSD didn't prevent windows from hitting on the HDD every second. So I deleted my 14GB and now the ExpressCache have 16.3GB.

So after all it wasn't worth it. My advice don't do it -_-

Although it was fun to mess-up with partitions in cmd.exe. It took few hours of my life :O

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 11 of 25

2013-04-26, 16:31 PM

this is Lenovo guide to return the SSD to it's original partitioned state:

ExpressCache & IFFS Partition Recreation

Options

36 Posts

11-24-2012

Florida

55 Signins

391 Page Views

• Message 12 of 25

2013-06-24, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the information on your experience.  You said you were only using 2GB which makes me think you haven't had the laptop long or something else is wrong.  It should quickly go up after owning the laptop for a while.  I'm using 19GB right now, were you looking at the "Total Read Size" which mine is also showing 2GB.  The number you should be reading is Total Used Size. 

I wouldn't suggest this to you since you don't need more space if it really was 2 GB. 

Anyways you went a different way then I did, you reduced it from 8GB to 4GB as I mentioned you could modify the procedures in the 1st paragraph but never said how.

I just deleted the partition all together because reconfiguring it as two partitions with one set-up for the iRST and the other for ECCMD (The Caching Service) would be more difficult.... but with the right ECCMD commands would be possible.  Had you gotten it to work though I'd have loved directions... I decided not to even mess with that since I have zero care for fast resume (I shutdown a lot and if I need a really fast resume I'll sleep... if I want to preserve my state and save battery I hibernate... and lose a few seconds resuming as the cost with the reward being 8GB more for caching and a faster overall user experience).

Here is a link to more Intel iRST setup directions if someone else does want to try to dual partition.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/rapid_start_technology_user_guide.pdf

If anyone is confused about what you lose (ie. the differences between sleep, hybrid sleep, hibernate, and iRST) there is a pretty good post about it here and paraphrased below:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21857298

1) Intel Rapid Start does NOT boot your system.
2) It is a replacement for Hibernate/Sleep.
3) S1 S2 S3(sleep) S3H S4(Hibernate) & Intel Rapid start are all variations on the sleep function.
4) Boot, Booting up etc is described as from when your computer first powers on and goes
through the hardware system checks, and initialises your hardware.
5) Resuming from a sleep state is NOT booting

How does it work ?
As before with Hibernate it writes the existing memory to disk, and powers down your system.
When power is re-applied it loads the image, bring you back to the same place in windows, documents open etc..

Whats special/different about Intel Rapid start to existing Hibernate/sleep?
It does not require power like S3 Hybrid Hibernation.
It appears work in practically the same manner as S4 Hibernate.
It appears to be more efficient, and faster than S4.

*This is because*

During the transition to the Sleep state, the software service flushes the standby and modified memory pages to reduce the amount of memory reported as “in-use.” This can considerably reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred to the SSD, resulting in improved resume time.

Another function provided by the service is optimizing the amount of active pages that need to be written to the SSD. The service will flush the non-critical active pages during the Sleep transition. Again, this improves resume performance but also reduces the required SSD partition size.

You will need to have a special hidden partition set for this to work.
As with S4 sleep - no power is needed.

What is all this S3, S4 etc. nonsense ?
These are sleep states.

S3 - Currently mostly referred to sleep mode in windows. This is the fastest sleep mode.
The computer powers down the CPU, however leaves the ram powered. When it wakes, the
system jumps back to life quickly.
Positives - FAST and reliable
Negatives - Great for short term sleeping however it does consume power, Desktops usually still consume a significant amount of power in Sleep mode.
If power is lost so is your work (unless you saved). A full reboot is required.

S3 Hybrid (Most common)
As above the data is maintained in RAM & written to the Hibernation file on disk.
This allows for the speed of a S3 ram wakeup, and the redundancy of S4 (hibernate)

This is a combination of S3 and S4 where data is saved to ram and a dedicated hibernate file on your HD.
Pro's
Generally reliable
Reasonably fast
Con's
Still requires Power
Requires HDD space
(Note this is not a partition! Just a file on the HD!)

S4 - Commonly referred to Hibernate
This mode Dumps the contents of Ram onto a dedicated file on your HDD.
Pro's
Power can be removed, so your work is safe.
Very low power consumption is used in this state (our electronics always use some even when turned off)
Data is safe
Con's
It's Slower to resume than S3 states
People with older HDD's maybe limited in space and disable the hibernate option, as this
takes up same same amount of GB as your RAM.

(Note this is not a partition! Just a file on the HD!)

Options

11 Posts

06-26-2013

Dallas, TX

26 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 13 of 25

2013-06-26, 20:41 PM

How do I get the ExpressCache app and everything else I need to get my laptop back to working properly? I wiped all the drives on the system because I was having so many problems after installing a bunch of test apps. Now I have the SSD hanging out there blank and no caching or rapid boot installed.

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 14 of 25

2013-06-27, 17:13 PM
How do I get the ExpressCache app and everything else I need to get my laptop back to working properly?

Refer to my post at ‎04-26-2013 09:31 AM

Options

11 Posts

06-26-2013

Dallas, TX

26 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 15 of 25

2013-06-27, 17:14 PM

That only works if the ExpressCache application is installed.

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 16 of 25

2013-06-28, 8:00 AM

Download it from here:

ExpressCache Software for Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit

Options

11 Posts

06-26-2013

Dallas, TX

26 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 17 of 25

2013-06-28, 13:58 PM

Will the WIndows 7 version work properly on Windows 8?

Options

11 Posts

06-26-2013

Dallas, TX

26 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 18 of 25

2013-06-28, 13:59 PM

Oops, I read that 4 times and now I see it also says Win8. My ADD must be kicking in ;)

I'll try that today and report back.

Options

6 Posts

04-23-2013

Malaysia

8 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 19 of 25

2013-06-28, 14:48 PM

Your welcome but take care unless you have partitioned the SSD the express cache once installed will control all the empty space

So take what you want and leave the rest and Express Cache will do the rest

Options

11 Posts

06-26-2013

Dallas, TX

26 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 20 of 25

2013-06-28, 14:50 PM
It appears to be working great. Was simple to set back up. Thanks!

I don't think I'm missing anything else here. 8.1 isn't as good as I had hoped, a lot of my programs aren't working right under it. Digital Cable Advisor crashes, but it's OK, this is my "test" machine anyway.
Options

1 Posts

09-13-2013

Slovenia

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 21 of 25

2013-09-13, 15:31 PM

You also have to format after partition:  ECCMD -Format

Otherwise you get "HFS Volume is not mounted" error.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save