cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mohamedhph
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,230
Message 11 of 25

Re: Getting your full 24GB From ExpressCache!

this is Lenovo guide to return the SSD to it's original partitioned state:

ExpressCache & IFFS Partition Recreation

EricKit
Serial Port
Views: 5,110
Message 12 of 25

Thanks for the information on your experience.  You said you were only using 2GB which makes me think you haven't had the laptop long or something else is wrong.  It should quickly go up after owning the laptop for a while.  I'm using 19GB right now, were you looking at the "Total Read Size" which mine is also showing 2GB.  The number you should be reading is Total Used Size. 

I wouldn't suggest this to you since you don't need more space if it really was 2 GB. 

Anyways you went a different way then I did, you reduced it from 8GB to 4GB as I mentioned you could modify the procedures in the 1st paragraph but never said how.

I just deleted the partition all together because reconfiguring it as two partitions with one set-up for the iRST and the other for ECCMD (The Caching Service) would be more difficult.... but with the right ECCMD commands would be possible.  Had you gotten it to work though I'd have loved directions... I decided not to even mess with that since I have zero care for fast resume (I shutdown a lot and if I need a really fast resume I'll sleep... if I want to preserve my state and save battery I hibernate... and lose a few seconds resuming as the cost with the reward being 8GB more for caching and a faster overall user experience).

Here is a link to more Intel iRST setup directions if someone else does want to try to dual partition.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/rapid_start_technology_user_guide.pdf

If anyone is confused about what you lose (ie. the differences between sleep, hybrid sleep, hibernate, and iRST) there is a pretty good post about it here and paraphrased below:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21857298

1) Intel Rapid Start does NOT boot your system.
2) It is a replacement for Hibernate/Sleep.
3) S1 S2 S3(sleep) S3H S4(Hibernate) & Intel Rapid start are all variations on the sleep function.
4) Boot, Booting up etc is described as from when your computer first powers on and goes
through the hardware system checks, and initialises your hardware.
5) Resuming from a sleep state is NOT booting

How does it work ?
As before with Hibernate it writes the existing memory to disk, and powers down your system.
When power is re-applied it loads the image, bring you back to the same place in windows, documents open etc..

Whats special/different about Intel Rapid start to existing Hibernate/sleep?
It does not require power like S3 Hybrid Hibernation.
It appears work in practically the same manner as S4 Hibernate.
It appears to be more efficient, and faster than S4.

*This is because*

During the transition to the Sleep state, the software service flushes the standby and modified memory pages to reduce the amount of memory reported as “in-use.” This can considerably reduce the amount of data that needs to be transferred to the SSD, resulting in improved resume time.

Another function provided by the service is optimizing the amount of active pages that need to be written to the SSD. The service will flush the non-critical active pages during the Sleep transition. Again, this improves resume performance but also reduces the required SSD partition size.

You will need to have a special hidden partition set for this to work.
As with S4 sleep - no power is needed.

What is all this S3, S4 etc. nonsense ?
These are sleep states.

S3 - Currently mostly referred to sleep mode in windows. This is the fastest sleep mode.
The computer powers down the CPU, however leaves the ram powered. When it wakes, the
system jumps back to life quickly.
Positives - FAST and reliable
Negatives - Great for short term sleeping however it does consume power, Desktops usually still consume a significant amount of power in Sleep mode.
If power is lost so is your work (unless you saved). A full reboot is required.

S3 Hybrid (Most common)
As above the data is maintained in RAM & written to the Hibernation file on disk.
This allows for the speed of a S3 ram wakeup, and the redundancy of S4 (hibernate)

This is a combination of S3 and S4 where data is saved to ram and a dedicated hibernate file on your HD.
Pro's
Generally reliable
Reasonably fast
Con's
Still requires Power
Requires HDD space
(Note this is not a partition! Just a file on the HD!)

S4 - Commonly referred to Hibernate
This mode Dumps the contents of Ram onto a dedicated file on your HDD.
Pro's
Power can be removed, so your work is safe.
Very low power consumption is used in this state (our electronics always use some even when turned off)
Data is safe
Con's
It's Slower to resume than S3 states
People with older HDD's maybe limited in space and disable the hibernate option, as this
takes up same same amount of GB as your RAM.

(Note this is not a partition! Just a file on the HD!)

tornadotj
Paper Tape
Views: 5,071
Message 13 of 25

How do I get the ExpressCache app and everything else I need to get my laptop back to working properly? I wiped all the drives on the system because I was having so many problems after installing a bunch of test apps. Now I have the SSD hanging out there blank and no caching or rapid boot installed.

mohamedhph
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,056
Message 14 of 25

How do I get the ExpressCache app and everything else I need to get my laptop back to working properly?

Refer to my post at ‎04-26-2013 09:31 AM

tornadotj
Paper Tape
Views: 5,052
Message 15 of 25

That only works if the ExpressCache application is installed.

mohamedhph
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,035
Message 16 of 25

tornadotj
Paper Tape
Views: 5,022
Message 17 of 25

Will the WIndows 7 version work properly on Windows 8?

tornadotj
Paper Tape
Views: 5,021
Message 18 of 25

Oops, I read that 4 times and now I see it also says Win8. My ADD must be kicking in Smiley Wink

I'll try that today and report back.

mohamedhph
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,008
Message 19 of 25

Your welcome but take care unless you have partitioned the SSD the express cache once installed will control all the empty space

So take what you want and leave the rest and Express Cache will do the rest

tornadotj
Paper Tape
Views: 5,006
Message 20 of 25

It appears to be working great. Was simple to set back up. Thanks!

I don't think I'm missing anything else here. 8.1 isn't as good as I had hoped, a lot of my programs aren't working right under it. Digital Cable Advisor crashes, but it's OK, this is my "test" machine anyway.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors