Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,529
Message 1 of 21

Ghost screen touches on ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14

So, My ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20DM) has this issue where randomly, there will be randomly screen presses across the screen. This will usually click some link I didn't want to, so it disrupts my workflow. I don't have a precise  way to replicate it, but it feels like maybe it's related to when the laptop is hot? I  don't know.

Anyway, in practice, this effect looks just like an issue that occurred for Yoga 3 14s (see here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-14-inch-Touch-Screen-Issues/m-p/214...

and

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/SF15-I0024

)

UNFORTUNATELY, the fix for that laptop model is designed for LG screen panels. Since the ThinkPad Yoga 14 doesn't have one of these panels, the fix will not run for this laptop.

Is there a similar fix for this laptop?

Guru
Views: 1,468
Message 2 of 21

Re: Ghost screen touches on ThinkPad S3 Yoga 14

Hi

I have a Thinkpad TP 14 - 20DM008UUS  and I didn't experience that issue.

Can you share your full model number and which Windows version are you using?

Just my thoughts...

When you said " randomly screen presses across the screen" do you think it cames from the touchscreen? Did you see some "screen animation" like the circle that Windows produce when you touch the screen, or the cursor moving when your issue happens? Maybe it can give you hints on where is the problem.

Do you think it can be the Touchpad that when you move your fingers or when you have your palm over it?

Or is happens  when you are typing?

Since I'm a driver freak, I always try to stay up to date with the firmware and drivers for the machine.

If you want to you can also try to update the drivers with Lenovo System Update first.

Regartds

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,459
Message 3 of 21

My model is a 20DM000VUS...I think mine is the first generation?

I do indeed see the Windows circle screen animations, which is why I think it's random screen presses...The cursor doesn't move -- in fact, it disappears while it's happening.

This can happen when I have my hands on the touchpad, but it can also happen when I have my hands on the keyboard or when my hands are not on the device at all. 

I did use the System Update tool to update drivers, but I did not go to that website. I will try getting the update from that website and seeing what happens, but even after updating using the version of System Update that was already on my machine, the problem still occurred.

EDIT (I just confirmed that my version of System Update is 5.07.0019, so it is most up-to-date and my system is up-to-date in drivers.

Guru
Views: 1,445
Message 4 of 21

Hi

Just in case check your model support site and organize the drivers by date to see which ones applies for you.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

...sometimes Lenovo System update does not show all the updates available.

Also check that the screen is complete clean.. just in case, you never know Smiley Happy

I want to check if there is any tool on Windows to calibrate the touch screen.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Guru
Views: 1,436
Message 5 of 21

Hi

It is more like "Trial an Error", but you can try to calibrate the touchscreen.. if Windows allows it.

I found the option on the Control Panel.

Calibrate-Touch.png

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,389
Message 6 of 21

Calibration with Windows did nothing. And I checked the site manually for updates, but it didn't seem like I was missing anything.

Guru
Views: 1,374
Message 7 of 21

Hi

I'm not complete sure about it, but I think that the Touch Screen device on this machine is from Wacom.

I think it is the one with this hardwareID as "USB\VID_056A&PID_5055"

Let's compare the driver we have installed.

Click here to view image

Try to update the driver, if you want you can use DriverEasy, (not from Lenovo) to get the newer one.

If the latest driver does not helps you maybe it is time to think about some hardware problem.

Regards

Mod's Edit: Image(s) converted to link(s) due to size.  Images are limited to 100k size per forum guidelines.
                     Please refer to About Posting Pictures for more information.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,364
Message 8 of 21

I don't think my model has anything wacom on it. I don't think my model has anything with that particular hardware ID

Click here to view image

Mod's Edit: Image(s) converted to link(s) due to size.  Images are limited to 100k size per forum guidelines.
                     Please refer to About Posting Pictures for more information.

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,318
Message 9 of 21

As a stopgap measure, i went into the Device Manager and disabled the "HID-compliant touch screen". I can't use the touchscreen anymore, but at least there are no ghost screen touches.

Guru
Views: 1,303
Message 10 of 21

Hi.

Can you please check on the Device Manager the "HID-compliant touch screen" and post here the HardwareID of that device? I found it strange that is recognized that way, I want to compare it with my TPY 14.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors