cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbl_d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,483
Message 1 of 8

Has Anyone upgraded a Lenovo Yoga 14 ThinkPad 14 (Type 20DM, 20DN) to Windows 10 Successfully

Curious -- Lenovo support told me that my machine cannot be upgraded to windows 10, and I am stuck on Windows 8.1 forever.

Had anyone upgraded a Lenovo Yoga 14 ThinkPad 14  (Type 20DM, 20DN) to Windows 10 Successfully?

If so, I'm interested in hearing what you did to get the touchpad, keyboard and rotation working simultaneously.

Thanks!

hndrcks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,459
Message 2 of 8

Re: Has Anyone upgraded a Lenovo Yoga 14 ThinkPad 14 (Type 20DM, 20DN) to Windows 10 Successfully

Yes, many times. The problem(s) you are encountering stem from the inability of the Windows 10 upgrade application to successfully detect incompatible software installed under 8.1 (the Synaptics driver you mentioned in an earlier post is a good example of this.)

I am typing this email on a 20DM Thinkpad Yoga 14 - everything works perfectly including rotation in tablet mode. Here is what you need to do:

1. back everything up to external storage

2. record license keys for products you will need to install

3. Go here and install the Windows 10 media creation tool. Create an ISO and burn to DVD, or create a bootable USB drive.

4. Boot from the Windows 10 install media. When asked if you want to upgrade or not, erase everything and install fresh.

5. After installation, connect to network, go to support.lenovo.com and install System Update. Install everything it suggests.

6. Reinstall applications.

dbl_d1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,392
Message 3 of 8

Re: Has Anyone upgraded a Lenovo Yoga 14 ThinkPad 14 (Type 20DM, 20DN) to Windows 10 Successfully

Thanks!  I will definitely try this.  Lenovo actually called me to tell me that the machine CANNOT be upgraded to Windows 10, and that they would mail me a CD to revert to Windows 8.1.  Note that the web-site says that this machine CAN be upgraded to Windows 10.  I never received the CD that they promised.  I would rather "march forward" than backward, so I am going to try your solution when I get some time.

D

hndrcks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,389
Message 4 of 8

For what iit's worth, I have been wrangling Windows desktops since Windows 3.11, and I have never seen an in-place upgrade work properly. Just wipe the drive and start from scratch.

dbl_d1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,370
Message 5 of 8

Thanks.  We had no problem upgrading all of the non-Lenovo machines to Windows 10 without reimaging.  The one other Lenovo machine (not a laptop) upgraded in place, but had many residual problems.  I'll let you know how the re-image goes -- thanks for the help!

dbl_d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,270
Message 6 of 8

Once again spent many hours, and failed miserably.  Did a clean install of Windows 10.  This is Windows 10 home edition.  The keyboard and pointing devices work fine, until the first windows upgrade, where the Synaptics driver appears again, and disables them.  Windows Home Edition does not have an easy way to stop the drivers from updating.  Lenovo never sent the Windows 8 disks that they promised to send me.  Now trying to restore the machine to windos 8.  Frustrating!!!!

dbl_d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,262
Message 7 of 8

Just got off the phone with Lenovo again.  Basically, the last rep that I spoke with totally lied to me.  She never shipped out the windos 8.1 recovery media.  This rep wanted $45 for the recovery media.  LENOVO DOES NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!  The Lenovo website said that the Thinkpad 14 could be upgraded to Windows 10.  I did an update in place, which rendered the keyboard, pointing device and auto rotation inoperable.  I have now done a clean install of Windows 10 with the same issues.  Lenovo called me in November to tell me that this machine can NEVER be upgraded to windows 10, and they were going to send me the 8.1 recovery disks.  THEY LIED!  DO NOT BUY LENOVO!!!!!  THEY LIED ABOUT UPGRADING THIS MACHINE TO WINDOWS 10 and then again lied about shipping out 8.1 Recovery Disks!  HORRIBLE COMPANY -- POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE -- WILL NOT PURCHASE or RECOMMEND THEIR PRODUCTS AGAIN!

hndrcks
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,248
Message 8 of 8

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors