Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sherifmakarem2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,705
Message 1 of 8

How to Re-install Window 10 on ThinkPad Yoga 460

Hi There,

I need more information regarding Win 10  serial key and media coming with my Yoga 460
In case I need to re-install the windows OS from where can I get the media and activation key ?
What is the step by step procedure to re-install my windows10 OS ?

Thx
-Sherif

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,683
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to Re-install Window 10 on ThinkPad Yoga 460

Hello and welcome,

You can make your own media.  In the tool-bar's search box type "recovery drive" and select the "create recovery drive" option. You'll need a 16GB flash drive.

You won't need to know the key.  It's baked into the UEFI BIOS and is detected automatically - even in a  Windows 10 clean install.

To reinstall just boot the flash drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sherifmakarem2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,677
Message 3 of 8

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for you resposne

Would you direct me to detailed instructions for creating this recovery drive ?

Thx

-Sherif

lionheart85
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,663
Message 4 of 8

If you just want to factory reset your laptop, you can just go to the recovery setting and reset your PC. You will get the OS exactly like the first time you got it.

However, if you want to do clean install, I have no idea.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,657
Message 5 of 8

@sherifmakarem2 wrote:

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for you resposne

Would you direct me to detailed instructions for creating this recovery drive ?

Thx

-Sherif

As stated above you can do a local recovery if that portion of your main drive is still intact but you should make your recovery media ASAP even so.  You'll need it in the case of a failed drive or a drive swap.

How to Create a USB Recovery Drive and Use it to Recover Windows 10

To do a clean install download the Windows version that matches your existing license and install it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The key should be detected automatically.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

WallyBaby
What's DOS?
Views: 1,614
Message 6 of 8

These instructions didn't work for me. After step 2 "Make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is checked and click Next." I get a window that says "Please wait" and a green progress bar that scrolls across. I waited an hour and a half. Nothing else happened. The window to choose the USB drive did not appear. The USB drive was shown in file manager so it must have been detected.

Guru
Views: 1,602
Message 7 of 8

Hi

If Windows 10 it is working, there is also the options to make a "Refresh".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/refresh-is-part-of-reset-in-windows-10

But it takes a long time, it is better to do it at night.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

WallyBaby
What's DOS?
Views: 1,593
Message 8 of 8

Thanks, but... I rebooted into the UEFI and took a look around, pretty sure I didn't make any changes, then rebooted again and the machine did an update on it's own, after which I tried again and the "create recovery media" detected the USB drive and is creating the recovery drive right now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors