cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blubell
Paper Tape
Views: 274
Message 1 of 4

How to create a USB recovery for my Thinkpad Yoga 12 from another laptop?

I need a "system disk" for my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12 but can't seem to create a USB recovery from my other laptop.  I can't get into the Lenovo at all due to it being wiped with CCleaner.  However, I can't find out where to get the files to download and then extract onto the USB drive.

I've done this successfully on a different make of laptop but cannot find a solution for the yoga.

When it was purchased it had Windows 8.1 on it which was quickly upgraded to Windows 10.  

Can anyone tell me how I can create the USB recovery and do I do it for windows 8.1 and have to do another upgrade or can I do one for Windows 10?  

I've tried every help page I can find on Lenovo but it tells me I need a digital order but then won't let me make one.  It was so straightforward on the other non-Lenovo laptop I think I might be missing something obvious!!

I also can't find any online chat to Lenovo to ask them about this so even that info would be of great help to me please.

Many thanks and regards,

Louise.

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 250
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to create a USB recovery for my Thinkpad Yoga 12 from another laptop?

If you suspect that CCleaner was the problem, the it is possible that you can restore your damaged laptop by creating a Windows 10 Installation Media USB flash drive using another system.   

Once you have created the Installation Media USB, boot your damaged system off the USB flash drive, choose Repair My Computer  > Advanced options > System Restore  options, choose a Restore Point and see if if it can undo the changes made by CCleaner that caused your problem.     Y

Using the Windows 10 Installation Media you can also perform a a Reset of Windows, which will preserve your personal data, but your application you have installed will have to be re-installed.

If somehow you wiped the HDD entirely using CCleaner and need to do a complete new installation of Windows, because your system was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you do not need to install 8.1 and upgrade again, you can just install Windows 10.     Once the installation of Windows 10 is complete, it will activate automatically using the Product Key embedded in the BIOS.

Create Windows 10 Installation Media (free from Microsoft) 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Ideally you would create Lenovo Recovery Media to restore your system to its factory state, but if you are having trouble placing the digital order, you might contact Lenvo's customer service in the UK and see if they can help.

Lenovo Customer Service Enquiries UK:     

Call: 01256 774577  (Option 2 and 2)

24x7 for CS 

Cheers,

Blubell
Paper Tape
Views: 233
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks - I shall give this a go....
Blubell
Paper Tape
Views: 228
Message 4 of 4

Many many thanks - that all worked simply and precisely!!!  I'm very grateful.

Louise.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors