Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aguav
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 327
Message 1 of 4

Keyboard timing issue on Yoga 12

The keyboard of my second-hand Yoga 12 is not following my typing.

In particular, when I press the spacebar quickly after a word, the spacebar seems to have a priority over the previous keys.

Here is a comparison of an external USB keyboard vs Thinkpad while I just type "df" followed by a space as fast as I can.

USB KB   : df df df df df df df df df df
Thinkpad: f d dfdf f ddf df fd fd fd f d

This is more subtle than it seems, the typing is on point unless I go faster like I'm more used to with my PC keyboard. I thought that I was just not used to laptop keyboards but I'm more and more convinced that It's an issue with the Thinkpad itself.

Apparently a lot of Thinkpads have similar issues and the following thread discusses just that in more technical details:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Keyboard-firmware-scrambles-keys-on-all-...

I'm now wondering if I'm in the same boat or if my problem is different.

I still made a new thread here because I was wondering if anyone had similar issues with their Yoga 12 or S1. I'm also hoping for a BIOS update if this problem is fixable software-wise (I'm already on the latest BIOS 1.34). Perhaps it's an hardware issue and the only fix is a new keyboard, or maybe the problem can't be fixed at all?

Highlighted
KevinYin
Punch Card
Views: 308
Message 2 of 4

Re: Keyboard timing issue on Yoga 12

From the data you posted (now gone), your laptop's timing problem is 32 ms, which is even worse than the main Thinkpad line.

With such a large problem, you should consider carrying around your USB keyboard with you.

Aguav
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 290
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the quick reply!

I applied a small edit to the post and it was gone (rejected) for some reason. I'll try to post it again for the sake of posterity.

It's a shame, I was really liking this convertible thing up until I started typing.

I suppose I should have gone for a used X230T (assuming it's better than this at typing), but the 1080p screen here is really nice.

If these issues are fixable with an update then I hope the devs listen to the complaints and work on it.

KevinYin
Punch Card
Views: 283
Message 4 of 4

I think it might be because the forum rejects links, but I'm not sure.

The A-series was fixed through a BIOS update, which gives hope that it can be solved for other Thinkpads. But the strange thing is how your laptop has worse problems than other Thinkpad laptops, which means someone in the engineering department is aware of the problem and choosing how big to make it. So there might be disadvantages to the A-series fix that we're not aware of, or perhaps the engineering department is especially lazy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors