Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcmackie
Paper Tape
Views: 2,148
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga enable screen auto-rotate for windows 10

I updated to Windows 10 immediately when I started up my new Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga.

I now find it will not auto-rotate screen when I shift from laptop to tablet, portrait to landscape etc.

How can this be enabled?

Guru
Views: 2,098
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga enable screen auto-rotate for windows 10

Hi.

Just in case, check that you are on the latest BIOS version on the support site of The Thinkpad P40, sometimes there are good updated for Windows 10 if you have al older BIOS.

http://support.lenovo.com/ec/es/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p40...

Also there is the "Intel Integrated Sensor Solution for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P40 Yoga, Yoga 14, Yoga 460" driver that may help with the sensors. 

On my Thinkpad Yoga 14 is seems to be this one on sensors, since if I disable it it will stop rotation the screen.

1) Check if you have some similar driver installed. Maybe with the "Intel Integrated Sensor Solution for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P40 Yoga, Yoga 14, Yoga 460" something will show up.

2016-08-28 11_46_57-Search.png

2) On Windows 10 there is a way to block the rotation options. The easy way to find it is with the WinKey and search for rotation.

3) Also on Windows 10, just in case,  there are also the "Tablet" "Laptop" modes options.

2016-08-28 11_54_00-Start.png

I hope this can give you some hints.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Zdendulak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,077
Message 3 of 10

Hi, I have been having the same issue on Thinkpad Yoga 14 for several month. Just recently I wanted to try it again, however, Lenovo removed the support of Windows 10 from the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution on August 24. Did anyone else noticed that?

BTW the rotation was working fine on Windows 8.1 but after upgrading to Windows 10 with the same drivers, the screen got crazy and was rotating even in desktop mode. I had to revert to old drivers that do not support the sensors.

Guru
Views: 2,071
Message 4 of 10

Hi Zdendulak

Can you please post the full model number of your computer? Maybe it is something long like "20DM008UUS", check out some instructions to find your model number here.

I would recommend you to try to update the drivers. I also updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 (On my Thinkpad Yoga 14) and I got several issues first. But after I started getting the drivers updated the performance on Win 10 got to normal.

Please check the support site of you P40 and also check the BIOS update. Some BIOS update include better compatibility with Window 10.

Can you please share the source where Lenovo discontinued "Intel Integrated Sensor Solution" from Windows 10. I haven't read about it.

I also would like to share my general tips to update the drivers.

1) Try first Windows Update and update all the drivers and Patches

2) Try Lenovo System Update to get any new/missing drivers.

3) Try to install Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Companion from the Windows App Store, Lenovo Companion also has a "update driver search"

4) Sometimes all that software does not recognize some updated / missing driver. Check Lenovo's Support Site and search for your specific model drivers (use the full model number of your Thinkpad).

Also let me know if you still have the issues after updating the drivers. There are some other "hard" stuff we can try with the drivers Smiley Happy

Regards.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Zdendulak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,059
Message 5 of 10

Hi Martin,

thanks for the quick answer. My model is 20DM003XMC - all updates using Windows Update and Lenovo Companion are installed including the latest BIOS. There is one exception - Intel Management Engine Interface Driver - 10 [64] which fails to install everytime (without any specific error and it also seems that it is installed correctly - nevertheless, I can always see that again in the recommended update list).

Regarding the Integrated Sensor Solution - if I go to the list of drivers corresponding to my model, I get link to this page where you can see that Win10 support was removed. However, a few minutes ago I was able to find the new version here. Installing that did not help either :-(

Generally I tried a million things related to drivers. The funny part is that it was working fine on Windows 8.1.

Thanks for any suggestions

Zdenek

Guru
Views: 2,040
Message 6 of 10

Hi

I'm running out of ideas.

If you already looked the Windows configurations that "blocks the rotate" maybe the other thing left will be to compare the drivers.

For example, I know that if I disable this sensor driver I will break up the rotation on my Thinkpad Yoga 14. In my case the screen will not rotate but Windows 10 will ask to change to "tablet" mode (if you have enabled that function), but it will not rotate the screen.

2016-09-01 16_33_51-New notification.png

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Zdendulak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,029
Message 7 of 10

So, while trying to fix the problem, I ran into another issue - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Thinkpad-S1-Yoga-randomly-enters-Tablet...

The screen rotation is now working but it randomly switches to tablet mode, disabling the keyboard and rotating the screen. I am not able to roll back drivers so I am not sure which one is the reason :-( This is painful.

Edit: I disabled the sensor in Device Manager and at least it's not switching (so far) to tablet mode randomly. I can live without the auto-rotation as long as the touchscreen works in at least one orientation. It's not solving the problem though.

Also, found some other forums and very often a clean install is recommended. Hm, maybe later.

Zdendulak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,991
Message 8 of 10

So I did the OS reset and the problem with sponatneous rotation is still occuring. I am thinking about warranty repair... This is super-annoying, making the device useless.

Guru
Views: 1,982
Message 9 of 10

Hi

Since you already tried updating the BIOS and the drivers from the Lenovo support site. my last idea will be to try  "DriverEasy" (not supported by Lenovo) to check any different drivers from their database.

If nothing works, try the warranty repair. Maybe it is some hardware issue at the end.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Zdendulak
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,971
Message 10 of 10

So now after a series of different updates, it seems to be running without random screen flipping so far (we'll see if it will keep like that). Anyway, in a different thread I found a screenshot related to "GPIO Laptop or Slate Indicator Driver" - is that related to the display rotation? Compared to the screenshot, I do have "msgpiowin32.sys" installed but not "ApsHM64.sys"... It might be related to the issue. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors