12-18-2015 05:31 AM
Hello everyone, I hope I'll be able to find some help here.
I'm looking for the M.2 details in both TPY 15 and TPY 460. Especially:
1. Is the M.2 NVMe supported in TPY 15?
2. Is the M.2 NVMe supported in TPY 460?
3. Can I use Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in TPY 15?
4. Can I use Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in TPY 460?
I'm also trying to make a final decision between 15 and 460 so I made a list of pros and cons:
(+) Yoga 15 pros:
- 15,6" screen
- possibility to use both 2.5" SSD and M.2 SSD. I'm planning to use Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (data) + Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB (system) combo. Does it makes sense? Is it possible? I've seen on the Yoga documentation that Lenovo doesn't recommend using M.2 as the booting drive.
- max 16GB of RAM
- design, build quality etc..
(-) Yoga 15 cons:
- Not Skylake
- No UHD screen
- No DDR4
- No pen
(+) Yoga 460 pros:
- WQHD (2560 x 1440) screen
- active pen bay
(-) Yoga 460 cons:
- I'm not sure if both M.2 SSD and 2,5" SSD can be used. Can it? Is it possible to use Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (data) + Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB (system) combo?
- only 14"
- probably higher price
- max 8GB RAM. I've heard 16GB works good too, is that true?
- No DDR4. Really? How comes it's Skylake and still LPDDR3? Isn't it a huge performance step back?
So... it's not an easy decision. Plus I've never seen either of the models in real. Basically what makes 460 better in my point of view is the Skylake platform and the WQHD screen. What about the build quality? Are these two similar in this case or one of them feels like being made from a better materials?
Thanks for help!
12-18-2015 09:48 AM
So I guess I can use both drives at the same time - M.2 SSD (for OS) and 2.5" SSD (for data). That would be great. But I guess that Samsung 950 Pro might not match because it's 80mm while both 15 and 460 supports only 42mm M.2 SSD?
12-18-2015 10:06 AM
you are correct the samsung 950 won't work. you need a 42mm transcend or a 42mm mydigitalssd. I have the new 512GB transcend 42mm m.2 drive on order and a 16GB RAM module on the way. I'll let you know if they work.
12-18-2015 12:16 PM
I've been just told by my two local re-sellers that ThinkPad Yoga 15 is no longer available to buy. Is that true that Lenovo removed that model from sale? That would be very bad :/
07-02-2018 09:33 PM
Did you ever figure out the answer to your initial questions?
Specifically, I'm interested in the answer to #2 ("Is the M.2 NVMe supported in TPY 460?")