Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgallegoslugo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,775
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 Won't Turn On

My laptop doesn't turn on anymore. Here is what I have to do to turn it on (I tried many sequence of steps, but this is the only one that works every time):

-Disconnect battery and CMOS battery
-Press power button ten times, then press and hold for 30 seconds

-Connect power adaptor and press power button

At this point, my laptop turns on, but I have to reset my time and date in BIOS (of course this is normal since I disconnected the CMOS batter). Once I turn my laptop on, my batter shows that it is charging and it is at 100%. I dual boot and both Ubuntu and Windows 8.1 show the batter charging at 100%.

As soon as I unplug my AC adaptor, the laptop turns off again and I have to repeat the sequence above again to turn it on. This happens consistently. However, if I shutdown my laptop the right way without unplugging the AC adaptor at any point, it turns back on normally. This happens of both my Linux and Windows OS.

What I've tried:
-Uninstalling battery drivers and restarting my laptop
-Updating to the latest power management drives from this Lenovo website

I also read that some HP laptops have software issues that doesn't allow the laptop to switch from AC adaptor mode to battery mode. I believe this might be the issue I'm seeing, but I couldn't find a way to check this setting.

I don't think this last detail is related, but when I shutdown Windows, I see a message saying:
Closing 1 app and restarting
AsusSGPLusBTServer
This app is preventing you f rom restarting

Along with a message: "The instruction at 0x4214e09a referenced memory at 0xffffe000. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program."

Thanks for your help in adavance.

Guru
Views: 12,738
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 Won't Turn On

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure since I haven't got this problem with my Thinkpad Yoga14 but I'm just curious if the "Emergency-reset hole" works for something on your computer, or if it does not change anything on the procedure you are doing to turn it on.

It can also be interesting if you can share the full model number of your Thinkpad Yoga 14.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

jgallegoslugo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,726
Message 3 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 Won't Turn On (Model Number 20DM)

My Lenovo's model number is 20DM-000VUS. Thanks for asking about the model number. I went ahead and added it to the subject.

I tried the Emergency-reset hole a few days ago as a suggestion from Lenovo tech support, but my laptop was still unresponsive. We tried pressing it a few times with the AC disconnected then plugging the AC back in with no luck. They couldn't help me anymore than that since the laptop didn't turn on.

Guru
Views: 12,721
Message 4 of 10

Hi

It does not look good. How is the warranty of you Thinkpad? I think that it may be the time to send it to the technical shop (opening a ticket) for Lenovo to check it.

Regards.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

jgallegoslugo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,712
Message 5 of 10

It is out of warranty. I don't want to send it to Lenovo. Tech support told me it would  cost me about $600 to send it in and have them look at it since I couldn't turn it on and didn't have the serial number at the time since they peel off on these laptops.

I was hoping some one on here would have seen this before. If not, I'll take it to get repaired at a Micro Center nearby that's a certified Lenovo service center as a last resort.

Former Employee
Views: 12,689
Message 6 of 10

Jgallegoslugo,

I sent you a private message.

Thank you,

jgallegoslugo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,684
Message 7 of 10

I wanted to post my solution in case it helps anyone.

Fix: I put a piece of tape on the SW2 switch to hold the switch down, removed the battery, removed the CMOS battery and pressed the power button 10 times followed by another press for about 5 seconds. I had already used this sequence of steps (except for the SW2 step) to restart my computer, but it would turn off as soon as I unplugged it. The reason why it kept turning off is because the SW2 switch wasn't being pressed by the bottom cover when I closed the computer. This purpose of this switch is to disconnect the battery when the bottom cover is removed, but this laptop model seems to have issues where the bottom cover doesn't press the switch after a while. 

The reason I didn't think it was related to this switch is because my computer happened to stop working while the computer was off. So from my point of view, my computer just wouldn't turn on anymore. I tried messing with this switch after I saw RegisterFault's post here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Re-Thinkpad-S3-Yoga-14-Random-shut-offs....

Here's the images from that post in case the URL doesn't work in the future.

sw2.jpgbottom-cover.jpg

onkar_patil
What's DOS?
Views: 8,504
Message 8 of 10

I am facing the exact same issue, how did you finally resolve it ?

Oubjr
Paper Tape
Views: 8,120
Message 9 of 10

Sw2 sensor cover it so it thinks the the case is on the sensor is too sensitive  that's why the yoga keeps turning off

Highlighted
Collins63
What's DOS?
Views: 528
Message 10 of 10

I also have the same issue and also tried to use the suggested solution, however it did not work for me. any other suggestions? I have a thinkpad yoga 14. Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors