Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QuimiQ
Paper Tape
Views: 29,270
Message 1 of 182

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 Active Pen

Hey Guys

I'm rather confused about the pen support for the new Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 15. I've read quite a bit about it and find the information quite inconsistent. Some say it does support active pen some say it will in april and some say it doesn't.

What I would like to know:

A.) What kind of pen technology does the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 15 support atm?

B.) Are there any changes in sight? / When? / What changes?

C.) Can I write on it while resting my hand on the screen aka has it palm rejection?

D.) How good is it for note taking? Can it keep up with my writing speed?

Links to videos where I can actually see it being used / tested would be greatly appreciated.

Argonaut
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,128
Message 2 of 182

Betreff: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15 Active Pen

From what I know there isn't too much information out so far. But here's what I found out.

First off, the current Thinkpad Yoga 14 and 15 don't support pen digitizers at all, and will not in the future.

Secondly, the Toshiba Encore 2 Write apparently uses the same technology. See this thread.

Here's what I know:

- It's called Wacom "Active ES" as in Active Electro Static.

- It's battery powered. Unlike Wacom's older technology, you need a battery in the pen.

- Palm rejection is more of a driver thing and not the technology. So it works, basically.

- People say it feels "different", not sure if that means better or worse.

- Precision is apparently very good, perhaps even better than the older tech without battery.

- Pen lag (speed) doesn't seem to be an issue. Might even be better than the older technology.

Other than that I personally couldn't find any information about whatever will be built into the Thinkpad Yoga 14 and 15 Only that they call it "Active Pen" and that it will be out in April. Also that the displays will support something called "anypen" which basically means you can use any pen-shaped metal object to write on the display. But that isn't really of any interest to me because I want pressure sensitivity.

QuimiQ
Paper Tape
Views: 29,120
Message 3 of 182

Hey Guys

I'm rather confused about the pen support for the new Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 15. I've read quite a bit about it and find the information quite inconsistent. Some say it does support active pen some say it will in april and some say it doesn't.

What I would like to know:

A.) What kind of pen technology does the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 15 support atm?

B.) Are there any changes in sight? / When? / What changes?

C.) Can I write on it while resting my hand on the screen aka has it palm rejection?

D.) How good is it for note taking? Can it keep up with my writing speed?

Links to videos where I can actually see it being used / tested would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply

I read about the ANY pen tech aswell but it doesn't seem to be very functional. Therefore I'm more intrested in the ACTIVE Pen tech bc as you wrote as well it promises to have features which would make it exeptionally great for note taking. 

HERE I read that active pen is optional and allready available. But I read elsewhere that it isn't yet included and will come out april (can't find the source atm)

Argonaut
Fanfold Paper
Views: 29,108
Message 4 of 182

Im sorry, maybe what I said in this sentence was a bit unclear:

[...] the current Thinkpad Yoga 14 and 15 don't support ANY pen technology, [...]

I didn't mean to speak of the "AnyPen" technology. What I meant to say is that the current thinkpad yoga 14 and 15 don't support Pens of any sort what so ever, neither will they in the future. (I think I'll have to correct that in my original comment.)

The rest of my comment I am speaking of "ActivePen"  tech mentioned in the specifications of the current thinkpad 14 and 15. Which I assume means "Wacom Active ES".

Edit: Further Clarification. The Active Pens mentioned in your link aren't currently available, nor are they supplied with the current Thinkpads. The first Yogas with the Active Pens may or may not become available in April.

parsec3d
Paper Tape
Views: 28,813
Message 5 of 182

Thinkpad Yoga 15 Pen?

There was a mention of the new yogas having a new pen tech to replace the wacom tech on the 12" models

but now that the 15" is listed on the store I se no info on this, does it come with, or not yet?

anyone that knows?

Moderator comment: Threads merged.

Marty_
Punch Card
Views: 28,786
Message 6 of 182

Re: Thinkpad Yoga 15 Pen?

I belief the current models don't come with a pen. See http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/151

Whether the screen is suitable for the new pen technology (so that you can buy such a pen yourself) I don't know.

CJoshuaV
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 28,882
Message 7 of 182

I really don't understand why Lenovo makes this so confusing.

I had a really frustrating conversation with Customer Service, yet again, where he said that the active pen support would be a future customization, and couldn't explain to me why the model for sale right now says "active pen" in its description.

parsec3d
Paper Tape
Views: 28,699
Message 8 of 182

Well they talked about new pen tech for this models a new kind of pen with batery but with the same features of the bateryless wacom ones, presure sensitive and all..

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 28,676
Message 9 of 182

(deleted after thread merge)

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 28,684
Message 10 of 182

Over at TPCR people are already sending back their brand new TP Yoga 15 because apparently the early units do NOT have support for Wacom AES. 

Apparently any mention of the ActivePen has been scrubbed from the ThinkPad Yoga 15 product page.

The disinfomation on pen support for the new TP Yoga models is a bit of an embarrassment for Lenovo. Can a rep give an official response here?

Anyone?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors