Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

316 Posts

07-14-2011

Deep in the Heart of Texas (Dallas)

281 Signins

2340 Page Views

• Views: 2340
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo bites the dust

2015-02-20, 1:13 AM

Hi all, I previously intended to post this about 4 months ago until my hard drive failed mid post. Not even kidding. Again. 

Here it is. I am unaware if it made it online or not but this is what happened and I will be adding even more detail after the 3rd or 4th technician came over. I am a tad foggy with my memory, but if I'm foggy what is this JUNK ThinkPad Twist and the TERRIBLE AND INFURIATING auto playing and never ending message on Lenovo's phone number of 18008839902. Did you know you could go online and troubleshoot my terrible Lenovo? Where can I confirm my technical support and warranty status? With Lenovo you pretty much lose. Without further ado I will begin this again provided the hard drive doesn't fail again. 

Hey all, I'm sure you all know thought that when you bought a Lenovo product you thought, "I'm getting a robust well made quality product". That was what I thought too when I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad Twist. I was wrong. VERY wrong. Here are my woes and horrors with the thing. 

1) First "Repair"(and beginning of a spiral into death): My HDD failed. Ok its not the end of the world and its not that bad, but after sending to Lenovo to have them repair it I patiently wait. I was initially thinking ok, they sent me an express shipping box so they must care about speed and priorities. I was WRONG AGAIN. They had my laptop for I believe a week or so before I go so angry I called them and asked what the status was and they had confused my ThinkPad Twist's serial number with another Lenovo product's serial number. I mean FFS I was able to control my anger and get on Lenovo's warranty page and look up the serial they provided me and then I HAD TO PROVE TO THEM that the serial number that they thought my machine had was in fact registered to a small IdeaPad in CHINA which had been out of warranty for at least a year. If I could look up that information how hard can it be for a TECHNICIAN to TYPE IN TO THEIR TERMINAL THE SERIAL NUMBER AND SEE WHICH COMPUTER IT IS REGISTERED TO. After wasting more time with Lenovo technical support they apologized and "fixed" my serial number. (Keep in mind a standard HDD replacement on any ThinkPad product is about 2 minutes TOPS). 

2)The beginning of the spiral into more "repairs". So after having my hard drive replaced, (poorly as I later found out, the old plastic cover was put on the replacement drive so the adhesive had gone bad and made it tough for another technician to remove the drive) the next thing I noticed was that the rubber feet on the bottom of the machine had fallen off so I had trouble ubsing my computer when presenting things because it would slide from the stand (I called in again to Lenovo's useless technical support who thought I was an idiot when I wanted it to be properly done and then "didn't know what rubber feet were" I MEAN COME ON IF YOU ARE A TECH SUPPORT PERSON KNOW **bleep** THINGS ARE CALLED, if you don't know please work somewhere else so you won't get irritated when I ask you to do your job and I won't get irritated explaining to an idiot what I am talking about) at this point when things are already at a low I started reading through the documentation on the computer. When I bought the machine the advertising said 9 HOURS OF BATTERY LIFE. Even with EVERYTHING off I struggled to get 3. My touchscreen soon stopped working and kept thinking I was using two fingers and was flickering and pressing everywhere, wow another key component of the ThinkPad Twist's uniqueness and marketing campaign had STOPPED WORKING. The keyboard started misbehaving and only was working on certain keys and the touchpad stopped working (although I didn't really care others who used my computer were bothered) this was THE LAST STRAW. I once again called up the clueless customer service department and had to explain that my touchscreen was broken, my keyboard didn't work, the touchpad was stupid, and the bottom "chassis" of my computer didn't have all of it's feet. So naturally Lenovo being a multi-million dollar corporation sent a keyboard, a battery (still useless), and a palm rest. They sent a guy out to come and fix my computer. He was not only tough to find a time to meet him, he was rather lazy and forgetful, he marked with a PEN on my new palm rest where screws go (and marked the wrong hole too being the incompetent "technician" he is and said oh the screw doesn't fit ask them for a new set when he tried to screw the palm rest to the bottom "chassis" with the hole that the keyboard screws go into). So to wrap up 2nd attempt at servicing the beast with a broken hard drive which was replaced, a keyboard which was replaced, a palm rest which was replaced, but the touchscreen left alone "because a reseat was what it needed", and the terrible battery was replaced with a slightly less terrible battery.

3)The third "repair" is what ruined Lenovo for me. Their response and inability to handle repairing a client's computer with a sense of urgency is what did it. The "touchscreen" was dead and now the screen was completely black. So they sent out my favorite incompetent friend to fix it. 2 WEEKS AFTER I CALLED THEM ABOUT IT. I missed many things because of your general lack of care. To repair my touchscreen and LCD the incompetent man came and changed out the screen (alright), and he was going to do a system board but because I was on a time constraint (like a normal person unlike Lenovo I told him to take care of what he thought was causing my screen to not display). He replaced the screen after scratching up my computer a fair amount (and not using all the screws because it wasn't "necessary" and not replacing all the screw covers because he "would just have to come around later on to replace the bottom"). He replaced the screen which didn't fix anything, he wasted my TIME, and above all that he scratched and defaced my machine. I understand that I told him not to replace the system board (later on I found out when another technician came out that it wasn't the system board it was the LVDS cable and it was all knotted up and when you pivoted the screen A CRUCIAL MARKETING POINT MADE BY LENOVO it would disconnect and show the "black screen". All in all this man wasted 2 weeks getting a part that didn't work, another hour installing it, and then another technicians time to come and sort this out. 

4)Now onto the fourth repair, maybe they'll get it right this time, is that too much to ask? Yep. Yet again. So the next technician that was able to come in and replace the knotted LVDS cable and hinge, the bezel (which the previous oaf of a technician had managed to crack), the DC-IN jack (because maybe where I charge the computer from is causing the battery to be low...obviously Lenovo sleuths), and my system board. So he was more competent and only scratched up the computer a little bit more (when the screen was inverted facing up and he had to disconnect a wire he pivoted the screen without the palm rest scratching it against the chassis). He did a proper job replacing the LVDS cable which meant my screen would display and I tested the computer to be functional without a system board swap, I quickly backed up my data again and then sent him on to replace my system board and hinge. That was done reasonably well and seemed to be functional again, so I asked him to carry on with all the other parts that he had. He did the DC-IN jack and then installed the bezel which helped cover one side of the still currently exposed LVDS cable because the previous technician managed to crack the "lid" of the computer (with the ThinkPad light for you Lenovo super sleuths, that is what a lid is). So after another painstaking 2.5 weeks of waiting for "parts" I was replaced a bezel, a hinge, a DC-IN, and an LVDS cable. They still haven't sent me my screw covers so I am sitting here like some animal looking at exposed silver screws (there are 4 that attach the front bezel on). So after all the replacements he tells me, "ok so call Lenovo and make sure to tell them that you need the screw covers for the bezel and the bottom chassis and the lid of the LCD screen. Lenovo you have become incredibly inefficient and have wasted a good person's time. I charge $65 per hour and if I worked about 8 hours a day for 4 weeks it'd be about $15,000. I lost $15,000 because I chose a "professional business computer" and because of your inability to repair a computer in a timely manner or send me a new computer (it would probably be cheaper just to send me a new one than pay for all the parts to be made and stocked in a warehouse, to be watched in a warehouse, to be thrown really really hard into the van that ships them EXPRESS to the technician who won't be able to do repairs for 2 weeks because he needs one more part, to pay the technician to come and repair the computer, and then return all the defective parts I'm sure I'd be able to have any computer on the Lenovo site in at max configuration), and I still don't have a perfect computer. My screw covers are still missing and my computer is really slow, and when the technician replaced my thermal compound I'm fairly sure he messed up a temp sensor as the fan is always on but the computer is cool, he also needs to replace my front LCD LID/cover and install a bottom chassis, oh and the hard drive is failing again. Thanks Lenovo. UGH. It is super slow and is making clicking sounds.

If anyone feels like Lenovo is doing the right thing please reply and let me know because I feel like I am being grossly mis 

THIS IS THE POINT IN WHICH MY HARD DRIVE FAILED AND I had to wait 4 weeks or so for a tech to get me another hard drive, top lid assembly, and some other junk that had gone wrong. I can't remember. 

THE LAST STRAW!

Ok, so my Lenovo's hard drive had failed again. Not so bad right. Yeah.... 

Ok so after the tech had driven around in circles for about 4 weeks she finally made it to my home. Now let me explain what you get with a premier warranty with techs who come to you. She was literally busy every single day of the week. I asked why? Her response? "I'm not in your area when you need me" Well what AM I PAYING YOU FOR? and who is? Apparently she was able to "make it work" in the end. 

She was about 30 minutes late if I recall. First thing she did was get started on the computer so I was beginning to think she was a good trained tech. WRONG. Again. What happened to having SUPPORT? She started taking it all apart (very sloppily, lifting and turning the machine like it was a fossil and she was trying to imagine how all the bones fit together, to be fair I do my own tech repairs on other computers and I would like to say that I can do her job with my eyes closed and not leave a fingerprint.). After explaining to her what all had been replaced and what needed to be replaced she got started unscrewing the computer. Ok fine. Then after clearly explaining that I like my computer in top-notch condition she starts prying the keyboard out with a screw driver damaging the plastic bezel around the keyboard. I know for a fact you can do this with one hand and not have an issue removing the keyboard. She starts removing the keyboard and the bezel surrounding it and began to "tear" the plastic up not even checking to see if it was completely unscrewed on all areas or how the wires would disconnect. I A CONSUMER HAD TO REMIND THE TECH MANY TIMES WHERE THERE WERE SCREWS. Eventually the board was accessible. I had to remind her again how to remove it by unscrewing things and how wires were routed. I am already fed up with this waiting for another incompetent tech to fix my computer. I was so hungry and there was fresh food in the kitchen and dessert too for my birthday. It was cold by the time she was done, and the dessert was warm. She eventually scraped and scratched the top part off and now it was time for her to replace the lid assembly. She struggled to remove the bezel where the volume and windows button are on the screen eventually breaking it off. After determining that the wires and everything needed to be disconnected she starts to rip the screen out of the assembly. That was done pretty decently. Upon reassembly I noticed she was having trouble re installing the new bezel that Lenovo sent (they didn't even send screw covers). She removed the bezel snapped off two of the legs citing "that the wires behind the button were not allowing the legs to fit in. So what was the answer? Check the manual? No. Just rip off the legs. Great. Now when everything is sealed up the Windows button is sunken in. Time for reassembly and more pure stupidity and shoving everything together.

After getting the computer working at least I was able to finish this off. 

Here are the list of things that Lenovo needs to send me to get back to the factory design/specs.

Screw covers YOU BUMBLERS. I have asked for ages then when they do send something its useless like socks (something just as useless). I need 4 covers for the bezel. Two for the bottom case. 

1 rubber foot. Still fallen off. Useless "business machine" can't even hold its own weight on a podium. 

The bezel itself is still protruding from the screen with the windows button a solid 1/2 through the lid before you can reach it and press the button. 

All of the screws on the bottom of the machine that have been screwed back and forth have lost their black paint. Need a complete screw set. 

The LCD monitor is very oddly lit with parts being brighter than the others and lots of leakage on dark colors. 

The battery doesn't meet your advertising claims even being IDLE. 

$100,000 for wasting my time for even having to type this. 

LENOVO I LEAVE IT TO YOU TO RIGHT THESE WRONGS AND IF YOU DON'T EVERYBODY WILL KNOW. 

After having major services more than 3 times I was told that Lenovo would just send a new laptop. Well apparently this laptop's fantastic warranty DOESN'T COVER THAT. Very irritated with Lenovo. I hate this laptop. 

TL;DR Lenovo's service and parts suck, their techs aren't trained regular consumers know more than them and have the dexterity of apes, they lie and steal from their customers, they don't know how to setup a phone because I waited 30 minutes on hold not even spoken to a support person, after doing lots of work and wasting lots of money the laptop still isn't a "regular" ThinkPad. Parts of it haven't been put back on yet, and IBM's ThinkPad brand has been eroded and peed on by Lenovo. Best of luck anyone with a Lenovo. If you want this junk send me a PM. 

Please forgive me for any spelling or grammatical errors its the claptop's fault. 

ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio
Options

316 Posts

07-14-2011

281 Signins

2340 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo bites the dust

2015-02-20, 1:15 AM
MODS PLEASE HELP.

@mark_lenovo

ThinkPad Twist S230U-
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Options

316 Posts

07-14-2011

281 Signins

2340 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo bites the dust

2015-03-03, 1:53 AM
This is ridiculous and stupid. I am now typing on a 15inch MacBook Pro Mid 2012 i7 8GB 1TB for $250. Sucks to have Lenovo, I am sorry to anyone who expected a quality product.

Don't EVER EXPECT ME TO BUY ANOTHER LENOVO AGAIN.
ThinkPad Twist S230U-
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms