Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lothian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,596
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo settings : battery health management doesn't work anymore

Hi there.

Got a Thinkpad Twist i7 Under win8 64b, 8go ram.

At first everything was fine , the Lenovo settings Metro App managed battery as i wanted :

Health battery was well managed , and the charge was maintained at 50% when AC pluged in if set the health mode ON.

---------but now :

After several official updates of the system and bios I noticed changes :

At first , the healh mode , when ON , didn't keep the charge at 50% but let the battery goes down toward few % left then charges it near 100%

Some further updates and i couldn't activate the battery life extension ( the slide button goes from ACTIVE to DISABLE automatically after few seconds)

Now , after installing the latest version of the Dependency package and the dependancy power management drivers , and even after deleting the Lenovo settings Metro APP and instal it back again I can't use this management efficiently.

To sum up what occurs :

1-unable to activate the battery life extension option

2-battery health mode doesn't keep the charge at 50% but let it discharge then recharges it fully.

3-sometimes after going from health mode to full charge mode , the AC while still detected, is not allowed to charge the battery . So i have to shut down the computer. There the charge begins as normal.

4-battery state went in less than 48 hours from Excellent , to Good , then Satisfaying.

Well if someone has an idea...as there is no mail to directly contact the support i am a bit stuck here.

I regret to have made the updates as all went good at first.

Thanks for reading and aswers.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,574
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo settings : battery health management doesn't work anymore

Battery health mode will actually be going away in the next update.  It doesn't work properly, can't be fixed reliably, and really has no value except in the case where you leave your system constantly plugged in for YEARS.  So I'm afraid I can't help you with this setting.  My advice is to change the setting to "Always fully charge" and forget about it.

You also report a problem about battery life extension, are you referring to the setting called Battery Stretch?  Are you saying that you change the switch from Off to On, then just sit there and look at it, and a few seconds later it will go from On to Off all by itself?

Lothian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,562
Message 3 of 9

As i am french , i've got in fact the french settings version , so i suppose that yes it is the Battery stretch option.

And you perfectly discribed what happens : i put the slider on ON then look at it and it goes back to OFF by itself. Moreover no expected battery endurance benefit is given anymore ( when all worked well , near this option a forecast endurance extension was given ; i.e: you'll gain 20min by setting it to ON)  . Now the field is empty.

For the battery health mode , ok got it , it will be removed. Fine . I understand it is not that important than it seemed but it's a pitty that in fact at first it worked very well actually. But i am relieved it's not so much a problem and that this malfunction is already known.

Thanks for your answer.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,549
Message 4 of 9

Regarding Battery Stretch problem, I've not heard of this before.  I know you say you are using latest versions, but I am also using latest versions on my Twist and this issue does not happen.  Could you please double-check the versions as follows?

1.  BIOS Version - run msinfo32 and record the BIOS Version/Date field.  Mine is GDETA1WW (1.61)

2.  Lenovo Settings Dependency Package version - open Programs and Features and record the product version.  Mine is 1.2.5.8

3.  Power Management Driver - open Device Manager, System Devices, Lenovo PM Device.  Then click on the Driver tab.  Mine is 1.67.3.13

4.  Lenovo Settings version - run Lenovo Settings, press WinKey-C to open charms bar, click on Settings, click on About.  My version is 1.3.0.14575

Lothian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,537
Message 5 of 9

Hi ,

So my :

BIOS version GDET98WW (1.58 )

Lenovo settings Dependency package : 1.2.5.9

Lenovo PM driver : 1.67.3.13

Lenovo Setings Metro App : 1.3.0.14575

So i 've got only my BIOS outdated , but the issue occured first in august, before the version i got. I'll try to update the BIOS also.

Lothian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,489
Message 6 of 9

Ok , so i've updated the BIOS and same problem occurs, the Battery Stretch option still doesn't work.

No endurance gain displayed , and the slider goes back to Deactivated on its own.

So far i bypassed the issue by creating a Super Energy saving mode in my configuration panel , going deep in the core of the energy saving options.

If you got an answer , you'll be most welcome.

Regards

MattiMk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,428
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

I have a pretty difficult problem with the battery health manager - or actually its removal.

I was using the 50 % charging mode, and now when the Lenovo settings SW has been upgraded, I cannot change the charging mode back to "always full charge". In other words, I cannot charge more than 50 % of the battery.

I tried to use older version of the dependency settings sw, and I got the battery health mode tab back, but it doesn't seem to control the charging any more. Any advice?

Lothian
Paper Tape
Views: 1,389
Message 8 of 9

Hi ,

Well , so far , after the answers of the support team , i didn't use the health management anymore.

My SW has upgraded but is set on "full charge" , and i didn't change it.

So i am sorry to say that if you can not go back to this state and you're stuck at a 50% charge i have no real solution.

The thing is that the last time i get stuck in the 50% state i waited for full battery discharge , then turned my laptop off , then put on the charger. When i went on again , the settings were put on full recharge.

But it was on an older version of the SW.

Hope the support team will help you.

regards

MattiMk
Paper Tape
Views: 1,382
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for your comments. I got advice from the support team, and the issue is resolved. The discussion can be found here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Battery-health-mode-no-longer-in-settin...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors