Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macfarlandm
What's DOS?
Views: 5,810
Message 1 of 8

Manually upgrading Thinkpad Yoga WiFi card

Hey all,

I bought a TPY from Newegg, which shipped with the Intel Wireless-N 7260. The laptop finds and connects to my home network fine, but can't find my work WiFi network at all. I've tried a few different drivers to no avail. Would buying and installing the dual band version of this card, or getting the Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 make a difference? 

And if so, can someone double check that this is the right part? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106190

I know there's a whitelist in the BIOS, but I assume that if other models ship with the AC card then I can swap it in.

The model type number is 20CD-0033US S/N **********

Thanks in advance.

Moderator note: serial number removed for member's protection.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,809
Message 2 of 8

Re: Manually upgrading Thinkpad Yoga WiFi card

Hello and welcome,

The whitelist requires the correct model and a Lenovo FRU number.  That NewEgg card looks to be generic Intel and won't pass the whitelist.

The  FRU's are available in the TP Yoga part list:  http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga_fru_bom_20131107.pdf

I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is dual-band.  Hopefully someone else here on the boards can provide info.  Price and availability is going to be an issue Smiley Sad

Before you go down that road, have you verified that your work wifi is 5GHz-only, and that there isn't some other problem?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

macfarlandm
What's DOS?
Views: 5,801
Message 3 of 8

Not sure if the router at work is 5Gh-only, but I'm pretty sure the network I need to connect to is 5.0.

Could it be a case of old-router-new-laptop or something?

I can get some details about the network from the Mac here... would any of this explain an incompatibility with the TPY card?

Current Network Information:

VQR-Editorial 5.0:

PHY Mode:802.11n

BSSID:4c:e6:76:f9:6c:cd

Channel:165

Country Code:US

Network Type:Infrastructure

Security:WPA2 Personal

Signal / Noise:-60 dBm / -90 dBm

Transmit Rate:117

MCS Index:14

And thanks for the quick reply!

macfarlandm
What's DOS?
Views: 5,734
Message 4 of 8

Can anyone at least confirm what card I can replace the default installed card with? Is the Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 accepted by the whitelist? 

oilerlord
Punch Card
Views: 5,409
Message 5 of 8

This is an older thread, but for anyone planning to buy a generic Intel Wireless AC (or OEM equivalent) - I can report from experience that it WILL NOT work in your ThinkPad Yoga, so don't bother with opening the chassis until you buy the "genuine Lenovo" FRU part.  I bought a $29 Intel Wireless AC 7260 + Bluetooth adapter and the BIOS whitelist immediately halts the machine from booting up.

That same $29 Intel card is rebranded and/or reflashed as a $78 Lenovo P/N 04X6010 card.  I can understand Lenovo wanting to put restrictions on Idea-branded offerings, but I had hoped that the Think-branded Yoga would have been a little less restrictive for it's intended corporate audience - nope.  Way to go Lenovo.

For ThinkPad Yoga owners, here's the current list of parts approved / whitelisted for your laptop:

http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga_fru_bom_20140319.pdf

gringo987
What's DOS?
Views: 5,372
Message 6 of 8

I have a question about a thing that has puzzled me. Why is the Thinkpad yoga that is sold by Newegg different than the thinkpad yoga that is sold on the Lenovo website ? I wanted to connect to a 5 ghz connection and I just realized that the wireless card that  is on the Newegg thinkpad yoga can only connect to the 2.4 ghz network. This has made me furious ...  

The lenovo website says that there is a Dual band wireless network card installed while newegg has a one band (2.4 ghz card)

Thanks in advance for your replies 

msaposs
What's DOS?
Views: 5,214
Message 7 of 8

So, has anyone actually upgraded their ThinkPad Yoga wifi card? I found a 04X6010 card for $54, including shipping. I'm tempted to go for it, but I'd like to see if anyone here has tried this. I'd like to know if passed the white list test, and if it improved wifi.

Thanks.

aicragleon
What's DOS?
Views: 5,099
Message 8 of 8

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors