cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baldgyt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 844
Message 1 of 3

Power Management on Thinkpad Yoga S1 (with onelink dock & onelink pro docks as well)

I have owned my Yoga S1 for several years now and apart from the endless early issues the docks (and many replacements), the stupid placing of the Ctrl key (still annoys me) and a problem i had with a repair (which to be fair was handled very well in the end - customer service was great) I've been happy.

Except one things - power management.

This morning, I came to my Yoga and the red light was glowing on the i in thinkpad, key board locks were on: touch keys (on most of my other computers pressing space a few times wakes from sleep state), nothing, press power button nothing, press button on dock - nothing., tried restart button on the dock - still nothing.

So I do what, now that I think about it, I do about 75% of the time when returning to my yoga - hold the power button for 9 seconds and force a BIOS crash reset.

I have applied all the drivers religiously over the years, BIOS updates Windows in up to date (Creator edition now) fully patched. I have tried the confusing variety of Lenovo bits that seem to part duplicate and part confuse existing Windows functionality. So, and with respect, please don't post "have you tried applying" ... unless you happen to know that this is specific fix for something - I reckon I have been through the random try everything approach.

What I'd like is:

1) to be able to work at my desk - touch something to say "I am away" and have power saved my two external monitors switch off but for the machine to go back to where I was when I touch something next (button on the dock would be nice)

2) to be able to close my machine (with button press if necessary) quickly, put it in the bag, take it out again and not find it is hot and ideally have lots of battery left and a quick reboot

3) to be able to force a proper restart in an easy way when there is clearly something wrong e.g. the mouse has stopped or a service has failed

4) t be abe to plug in the Yoga straight from my bag to the dock and start it (I dont think that has ever worked)

I played earlier this week with hibernate but rapidly got myself into a situation where each reboot looped me back to an old scenario (with apps running I didn't want) and a hung up Microsoft touch mouse (even after a windows update - which was clever - I didn't think that would have worked through) a hibernation. In the end I resorted to using PowerCfg to disable the hibernation.

[Side question: does anyone know what it manes when your machine is "off" and the red light on the i flashes rapidly - is that something to do with hibernation? In fact, is there lsit of lights and states somewhere in the Lenovo documentation?].

So I am looking for either

a) "I have one, I have this set up and I can do what you describe"

b) Lenovo recommend the following settings, drivers, BIOS etc. {i.e. a supported configuration that has been tested)

c) I have the following brilliant insight that you need to do ..

[but not a random have you tried <insert something that sounds sensible> but that I haven't used myself to fix anything. Not be unkind, but I have been in IT for 35 years so I am quite good and trying the sort of thing that" ought to help".]

So after a few years, I admit defeat and go to the world for help...

I really feel that I am missing something here - surely turning on and off a laptop and maximsing battery life when away from the power are bread and butter functions.

(I am not running any VMs on this machine by the way)

Thanks 

Baldgyt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 712
Message 2 of 3

Re: Power Management on Thinkpad Yoga S1 (with onelink dock & onelink pro docks as well)

Well with some time on my hands I removed every piece of software from Lenovo added by their various companions, settings, bridge etc. and my machine works fine. Not very scientific but if you are using Windows 10 creators and sleep/shutdown are unreliable (particularly I notice that keyboard lights stay on) this might help. I can't say more other than to note that as my hardware is out of warranty lenovo don't want to talk with me about what is clearly a driver/software issue.
Guru
Views: 680
Message 3 of 3

Re: Power Management on Thinkpad Yoga S1 (with onelink dock & onelink pro docks as well)

Hi.

1) to be able to work at my desk - touch something to say "I am away" and have power saved my two external monitors switch off but for the machine to go back to where I was when I touch something next (button on the dock would be nice)

I didn't know any tool that can help you with that. Maybe somewhere there should be a Windows app that when you run it it will put your monitors on power saving mode, until movement of the mouse is detected or keyboard key is pressed.

But I checked the Window's Power options today to refresh my mind and noticed it says "Turn Off display".

2017-06-08 17_08_21-Reply to Message - Lenovo Community.png

I will try that.

2) to be able to close my machine (with button press if necessary) quickly, put it in the bag, take it out again and not find it is hot and ideally have lots of battery left and a quick reboot

On the Window's Power Options you have the functions of what to do when you close your lid. It is only available none, sleep, hibernate or shutdown. That is the only functions that the Windows OS offers you. You already may know that sleep consumes more battery that hibernate, but it is faster to wake up from sleep than hibernate.

Maybe a solid HDD can help you to wake up faster your machine.

3) to be able to force a proper restart in an easy way when there is clearly something wrong e.g. the mouse has stopped or a service has failed

If the machine it is complete lock the only way to restart it is by pressing the power button for some seconds, or using the rest hole. If your machine is locking too much you should check what is wrong with your Windows installation, hardware or app that is missfunctions. Otherwise Windows only offers its ways to restart and shutdown.

4) t be abe to plug in the Yoga straight from my bag to the dock and start it (I dont think that has ever worked)

I always do that with my Thinkpad Yoga 14 and my OneLink+ dock (I have an Onelink to Onelink+ adapter). It does not matter if Windows is complete shut down, sleep or hibernated, it always powers on and the dock get attached without issues. Is there some specific problem that you have with the dock and the displays?

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors