Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arcadeprecinct
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,085
Message 1 of 9

Problem with two finger scrolling on s440

Hello everyone

I have a S440 (touch version) and some Problems with two finger scrolling on the touchpad.

First, it isn't smooth, i.e.. If I move my fingers it only starts scrolling after a second or so, basically when I've already stopped (unless I move very slow). It then makes up for the lost time by scrolling very fast.

The more serious problem (that makes it practically unusable) is that it randomly jumps back up, often to the top of the page/document, sometimes just a page or so.

The problems are worst with firefox and acrobat, with IE and the Microsoft reader there's no response time problem but the jumping upwards still occurs.

The problem is there with the preinstalled Windows 8 as well as my own Windows 8 Pro (with the original Lenovo drivers). Scrolling with the Trackpoint and an external mouse work fine, as well as scrolling via the touchscreen.

Does anyone have any suggestion if/how I can fix this?

the_combinator
Punch Card
Views: 1,056
Message 2 of 9

Re: Problem with two finger scrolling on s440

I had the problem of the page jumping to the very bottom/top on my S431. Try going to device manager and checking the driver version for the driver for the UltraNav pointing device. In my case, after rolling back the driver the problem went away. The version I am using now is 16.4.2.4, I believe the newer driver was something along the lines of 16.6.x.x

The synaptics utility for setting up multi-finger gestures will revert to an older version and won't be as pretty anymore, but at least you'll be able to scroll like a normal human being Smiley Happy

I hope this will help.

isabelle47
Paper Tape
Views: 981
Message 3 of 9

Hello

I have the same problem, I can't scroll a web page or a document correctly.

the_combinator: My issue came just after some updates in which there were a synaptics and a auto scroll updates.

I would like to try your solution but I don't know how to roll back the driver. Can I just install an old one and it will automatically replace it?

Thank you.

the_combinator
Punch Card
Views: 973
Message 4 of 9

isabelle47:

I don't know if it will let you install an older driver if you already have a newer one. Rolling back is straightforward: In your start menu, right click on 'Computer' go to 'Device Manager', then find the ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing device under 'Mice and other pointing devices'. Click on the 'Drivers' tab and you should see the 'Roll Back Driver' button.

Hope this helps.

isabelle47
Paper Tape
Views: 961
Message 5 of 9

It helped!
It works perfectly fine now. It was indeed the newer UltraNav driver that had caused the issue.
Thank you very much!
Paulbo
Paper Tape
Views: 922
Message 6 of 9

I also have a S440 (non-touch screen), the scrolling on the touchpad worked perfectly when I bought it, no jumping, and scrolling perfectly smoothly comparable to an Mac. But after an upgrade to windows 8.1 which broke many things ( despite upgrading all drivers), I reset my thinkpad which brought it back to windows 8, everything working normally again except the two finger scrolling which is no longer smooth (moves incrementally now), and likes to jump randomly up or down the page, (not always, but enough to make it irritating. I notice this mostly with google chrome and adobe reader as these are the apps I use most frequently.

So my questions is what drivers or settings do I need to bring the scrolling back to the configuration it was when I purchased my S440? My device manager says I'm running thinkpad ultranav with Synaptics driver version 16.6.4.38

Cheers,

Paul

the_combinator
Punch Card
Views: 909
Message 7 of 9

Version 16.4.2.4 got it working on my s431. See my post above (#4)  if you need instruction on rolling back the driver.

Edit: Sorry, totally missed that part about Windows 8. I've never used Win 8, so I don't know if the process for rolling back is the same.

isabelle47
Paper Tape
Views: 901
Message 8 of 9

I did roll back the driver and it works fine now so it might fix your issue too.

The version 16.6.4.27 of the driver works on my S440 and Windows 8.

Paulbo
Paper Tape
Views: 894
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the replies! I rolled back the driver to version 16.6.4.27 and I haven't the noticed the big jumping any more, but the scroll is still incremental as opposed to original smooth scrolling. Not a huge problem, just annoying that it's not as good as it should be.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors