Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,498
Message 41 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

@ppihus nevermind. it is broken again upon picking up. I spoke way too soon.
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 8,494
Message 42 of 157

Okay.

My current shop is now trying to replace the battery. I think no-one here has had their battery replaced so far?

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 8,481
Message 43 of 157

The cause might be a switch that is designed to disconnect the battery in case someone tries to open the laptop's back cover without disconnecting the battery from the bios.

Former Employee
Views: 8,400
Message 44 of 157

I am working to bring in several samples to provide to my next level support for testing.

Would someone be able to take a video of the battery error and post the link here? I would like to share this with them as well.

Thank you,

TallnLA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,360
Message 45 of 157

Ok so I've got a Thinkpad Yoga 14, Bios Ver 1.08, bought at Best Buy a few weeks back.  And all of a sudden, I'm having this random shut down issue when not plugged in too!  Spoke to tech support last night and they were wonderful, and said they'd send a tech out Tuesday (I have onsite service) to replace the main board.  Does this make any sense??  Is this a motherboard issue?  And tonight I have an additoinal problem now the computer shuts off as soon as I unplug the power cord and will not reboot if not plugged in Smiley Sad

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 8,344
Message 46 of 157

Replacing the motherboard might not help. It has not helped some ot the other users here. I suggest you write directly to Amy_Lenovo here in this forum and describe your issue. She's investigating this problem thoroughly.
TallnLA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,328
Message 47 of 157

I'm new to the group, but won't Amy see it here?
RegisterFault
Paper Tape
Views: 8,280
Message 48 of 157

It has to be related to the "lid is open" switch. I pulled the cover off of my Thinkpad Yoga 14 and found a tiny, very sensitive switch labeled "sw2" that when held down, allows my laptop to power on, and immediately upon release, the laptop shuts off immediately. I see a plastic tab that is supposed to contact the switch on the back cover, which looks like it could be just far enough away from the switch that any minor deformation of the case could cause sw2 to depress. this would correspond with un1ty's comment about the receipt from customer support referencing broken plastics.

This is preliminary, but i think a fix for this issue would be to simply tighten the center screw closest to the screen hinge or to open the laptop case and apply, say, some electrical tape onto the switch itself to keep it depressed or to the plastic to make the plastic tab thicker and guaranteed to keep the switch pressed.

I'll go ahead and follow up on this post, but this looks like one of those really simple things that can go wrong in an incredibly complex engineering project like designing a computer. still an impressive device, it totally figures that one little plastic nub could be the thing that makes it unusable...

sw2-small.jpgtab-small.jpg

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 8,258
Message 49 of 157

@RegisterFault, this is what my local Lenovo shop also told me and they tried to fix it 3 or 4 times. They also tried to tighten the screws and put some electrical tape (or similar) to the other, so the switch wouldn't disconnect. Unfortunately it was of no help. It got better, but I still experience these turnoffs when moving my laptop and I can be 100% certain that after a 20-minute walk with my laptop in a suitcase, the switch has been disconnected at one point of the walk. I never get to home/work with my laptop still on 'sleep' mode.

Thank you for the post though, I'm sure it's a lot of help for users here and even Lenoveo technicans investigating this issue.

RegisterFault
Paper Tape
Views: 8,216
Message 50 of 157

I noticed that my initial fix seemed not to work, and looking at it later i noticed that the switch was depressing even under the electrical tape, under what clearly looked like a strong application. I ended up adding 2 more layers of electrical tape on the switch and two layers of tape on the plastic tab, and so far I have not been able to to get the thing to shut off by squeezing the case in every way imaginable.

I can't comfortably say ive fixed it, but it doesn't give me any problems atnymore right now. This could have also been silently fixed by the sheer number of times I have detached the back lid as well, (ive managed to strip 2 screws in the process Smiley Sad   ). I'll check back in a day to report on whether or not it powers off on me.

to Lenovo: I have a relatively well-stocked electronics workshop set up in my apartment, with an oscilloscope, signal generator, multimeter, soldering and reflow tools, etc. if there is anything any engineer would like me to test on this system, I would be more than glad to help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors