Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 21,849
Message 35 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

I also have 20DM-000VUS, not sure about the original BIOS version though since I downgraded using the files on the Lenovo site (but definitely downgraded).

I just got my laptop back from the shop and I\ve been running it for ~1 hour now and so far so good. The shop replaced Power and IO Subcards "FRU 00HN613 and FRU 00HN612".

PS. Now the left USB is not working at all. Afaik it was also replaced. Already talked to the shop and I have to take the laptop back, they will replace it again.

1/20 EDIT: This message has been moved to the front of the discussion for escalation purposes. Amy_Lenovo

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,859
Message 1 of 157

Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

I just recently got the new Thinkpad Yoga 14, and I can't say I'm very happy with it. Windows 8.1 is pretty weird, but I guess Lenovo can't do anything about that. However, I am having a problem that seems to be a problem with the machine rather than the software.

Frequently, the computer will just shut off without warning. This can happen as soon as I unplug the computer from its charger, or it can happen several minutes after being unplugged. The battery icon says that there is over 90% battery remaining, so it shouldn't be dying. It's very frustrating because there is no warning, no error notification (unless I just don't know where to look). The computer can be turned on immediately after without any problem, and the battery icon still shows a very high power percentage.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Anthomas
Punch Card
Views: 22,675
Message 2 of 157

Exactly, mine shuts off abruptl just as you reported.  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

Within 5 minutes of unplugging the laptop from AC charger, it suddenly shuts off without any warning. It is guaranteed to happen every time I unplug. I am able to turn it back on and it shows there is still 90% battery life.

I hope there is a simple solution for this.

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,656
Message 3 of 157

I went and got a replacement unit from Best Buy, and I haven't been having this problem. However, I do think that Lenovo probably has a battery/power issue with this laptop, since even on my replacement, I frequently get this warning message occasionally when I'm unplugged that says something about "A battery error has occurred. Click here for replacement options" (I'll update the next time I get this message for the exact text and/or screenshot.)

The link for clicking sends me to a link for battery recalls for Lenovo (!!!), but the ThinkPad S3 Yoga is *not* available as a model that a recall applies to.

So, I don't know what's going on, but it seems like there is an issue.

Anthomas
Punch Card
Views: 22,643
Message 4 of 157

Thanks for the reply, I'd love to see the screenshot and the link of where it describes the battery problem.
subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 22,563
Message 5 of 157

Long time, no see. (This is good for me, because I haven't had the battery error in a long time.)

However, this morning, I did.

The message says:

"There is a battery error.

Click for replacement options."

The link has been included there. But if you select the notebooks category, then ThinkPad Yoga product line, neither of the two model options (20C0 and 20CD) are for the Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14.

Thereisabatteryerror.png

Anthomas
Punch Card
Views: 22,507
Message 6 of 157

@subversiveasset - thanks for the screenshot.

I sent my S3 Yoga 14 to Lenovo and here's what happened. FIRST they ran diagnostics for 3 hours, and were going to mail it back to me. They called me and told me they could not find the problem. I told them OK fine, just at least reformat the hard drive and bring it back to stock.

When they reformatted the hard disk -- THAT was when they were able to reproduce the power shut-down. It turns out they did not unplug the AC power.

So THEY DID NOT TEST WHILE RUNNING ON BATTERY.

Once they did that, they reproduced the bug upon physically picking up the battery powered laptop. Later, they identified that one of the issues had to do with the bottom plate of the laptop, and they needed to replace that to fully address the laptop's issues. I'm not sure I totally understand but it might be that the bottom plate is somehow short circuiting something and causing problems with the battery.

But the part is on backorder. They have no ETA on when the part will arrive.

So it's December 10th, my laptop is still in repair. Since November 24. Almost 3 weeks now.

1TrueKevin
Paper Tape
Views: 22,472
Message 7 of 157

Just got my Yoga 14 directly from Lenovo.com and set it up.  Love the machine overall but having the same problem as in this thread of sudden black screen shut down when unplugged.  

I can reliably reproduce it by holding it by the base with my right hand...basically just put thumb on the Thinkpad logo and fingers underneath (as you would normally do but only/mainly with right hand).  Also happens often when setting it down [even very gently] right edge first.  Kinda weird because battery is on the other side.  

Will contact Lenovo support and see what they do.  

First time I've ever had a mechanical problem with a Thinkpad ( 3 prior versions in business setting).  

NeverNorth
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22,460
Message 8 of 157

Received my TPY 14 on Tuesday.Was loving it.
Last night when using it.The laptop just shut off was using battery at 83% ,when Trying to turn on I got only lenovo with circles then black screen. On second try windows can not boot error.Then picked repair option, repair failed.
Then reset.
After rest windows opened but was real buggy.
Started full reset 2 hours ago PC at 51% of reset process.
Had nothing installed but chrome and QuickBooks.
Looks like this one is going back .Will call when reset is done and see what Lenovo will do.
Hope the next one I get is better.

Dont know if my problem is the same as the rest of you.

Full reset done performed hardware scan in lenovo solution center .
every thing passed.

joshrcohen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,357
Message 9 of 157

I see the battery error every so often.

Haven't noticed the powerdown issue. while I am working.

I have noticed a few times where the machine will timeout to sleep and then I have to press the power button to resume.

(rather than press a key)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors