Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffcouret
Paper Tape
Views: 1,266
Message 91 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

A month, huh? That's.... horrifying.

I think the customer service guy may have just been telling me what I wanted to hear because he sounded very confident that it would be soldered and it'd be back in my hands within 5-7 business days. 

My box gets here today, hopefully everything will go as described.

laxbro510
Paper Tape
Views: 1,249
Message 92 of 157

A must read article from TechRadar on its review of the Thinkpad Yoga 14. The culprit behind the random shutdown is the battery. Please read this article for more detail. 

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-thinkpad...

serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,237
Message 93 of 157

After 3 weeks without my laptop I finally got it back on 5/8.  I contacted Don on 5/7 and they still didnt have a ship date.  I was told I would get an e-mail the next day once they had firmed up a ship date.  That night at about 10PM EST I got a notice from my UPS letting me know I had a package headed my way.  I am happy to say that both the shut off issue and trackpad issue have been repaired.  I picked it up several times from every corner, and it hasn't resurfaced yet.  I included a print out of the knowledge base entry about random shut offs when I shipped the laptop.

Contacting the support chat and keeping on my case manager seemed to help expedite things.  The case manager helped the Depot locate parts when they were out of stock.  That being said 3 weeks without a month old laptop sucks, and the whole situation sucks.

mjcialaw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,234
Message 94 of 157

I opened a ticket on the Lenovo website one week ago, still no response. That this problem turns what is supposed to be a portable machine into a small desktop computer is unacceptable. BTW, if this was a defective Apple device, the problem would have been fixed by now even if I had to do it all by phone and courier. Near as I can tell, Lenovo only wants to talk with me if I am in the buying mood.
serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,225
Message 95 of 157

Phone: 800-426-7416
I used chat to check the status of the repair, and they were quite helpful. They assigned me a case manager I could contact at any time, and escalated my repair to priority once parts arrived.
http://www.lenovo.com/servicechat
mjcialaw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,222
Message 96 of 157

Thanks, I will give it a try.
jeffcouret
Paper Tape
Views: 1,216
Message 97 of 157

At the VERY least they should be extending our manufacturer warranties an extra few month or two considering it takes a month to get a working machine back from them. 

ksmo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,193
Message 98 of 157

I want to thank everyone who posted about the cutoffs due to the service switch, and other issues.  Saved me a potential headache.

I was stoked to come across a refurb Thinkpad Yoga 14 today on the Outlet site.  Ordered.  

I then happened to come across this thread and the Lenovo community in general.  Yikes.

Decided to cancel the order for two reasons.  First, the number of problems that seem to exist with the TY14.  I really don't want to have to solder connections or stuff electrical tape somewhere on my newly acquired machine.

Second, holy cow, Lenovo, ship time!  Order an item "in stock" on 5/13 and arrival date is 5/28?  Sorry, that seems kind of crazy when Amazon routinely gets things to my door in 1-2 days.  Is this 1979?  Unacceptable.  A week or less, I would have lived with.

Anyway, I post this so that in the event Lenovo reps actually follow the forum, you guys know why you lost a sale.  I could have probably tolerated #1 or #2.  But a potentially wonky machine and two week delivery times...no thanks.

A shame, because after shopping around extensively for the past couple days in local stores, the TY14 was my #1 choice by far.  Hard to find another unit this compact with discrete graphics.

Sigh.  The search continues...

mjcialaw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,186
Message 99 of 157

Thanks for the phone number. Got a live human being to talk to today. Long story short: will lose my computer for a week or so. Sure hope this solves the problem.
jeffcouret
Paper Tape
Views: 1,177
Message 100 of 157

A week is an absolute best case scenario according to the replies in this thread. 

Lenovo received my TY14 yesterday and the system says it's being repaired. I'll let y'all know how many business days go by before they ship it out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors