Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,099
Message 10 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

I have also noticed the timeout to sleep issue, joshrcohen, even on my new laptop.

It's probably a different bug, but I can't determine what is triggering that. 

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,698
Message 11 of 157

Same problem here. Any other fix besides returing the laptop_

un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,681
Message 12 of 157

@Anthomas wrote:

..So it's December 10th, my laptop is still in repair. Since November 24. Almost 3 weeks now.

Okay they finally "fixed" this issue on my Yoga14.  I got it a few days ago, and it was working great.

But this Christmas morning, I saw the error for "There is a battery error" (as described by subversiveasset).  And now I can reproduce the issue 100% of the time when I pick it up. It shuts off instantly. On the off chance it doesn't shut off immediately, I can just shake the laptop a bit and reproduce the issue 100% every time.  I'm starting to think all Yoga14s are defective due to some type of design issue.

I am really really curious to know, do any Yoga14's NOT have this battery defect?  Or in other words, does anyone have a Yoga14 that doesn't fail on battery mode? 

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,673
Message 13 of 157

For full disclosure, I returned my first laptop (did not get it repaired...just returned it), and got a new laptop of the same model.

I still occassionally have "there is a battery error," but I do NOT experience the instant shut-off problem on battery mode on this new device.

So, I think there is definitely a build quality or design issue that is affecting some percentage of the laptops to a greater extent (shutting off completely) and some percentage of the laptops to a lesser extent ("There is a battery error" with no shut off). 

1TrueKevin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,668
Message 14 of 157

Like several here, I returned mine to Lenovo because they gave me a repair window of "weeks".  

Got one at Best Buy for $100 less.  This one is working perfectly for about  a week.  Have tried all the things that reliably produced the sudden black screen power loss but no problems so far.  

I have not ever seen the "battery error" dialog, hope I never do.   

un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,646
Message 15 of 157

@1TrueKevin wrote:

Got one at Best Buy for $100 less.  ... no problems so far.  

This is a great suggestion to buy it at Best Buy. Thanks for the response

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,629
Message 16 of 157

I bought mine from bestbusy and have the same problem with random shut offs.
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,578
Message 17 of 157

Today was the first time I got the battery error that some other users have also reported here. The charger was connected and battery was 100% full when I got the error message. Screenshot provided below.

un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,553
Message 18 of 157

@ppihus -- Dang sorry to hear.

When you unplug the charger, if you jerk/shake the laptop a bit, does the whole system power off?

I have been considering opening up the entire Yoga 14 laptop and trying to isolate which piece is causing the battery to disconnect completely. I think if I can resolve this on my own, then I can share my solution with you guys and really put an end to this design flaw.
scwtte
What's DOS?
Views: 2,546
Message 19 of 157

I've had the Thinkpad 14 for a week or so now and haven't had issues with it powering off, although admittedly I've had it plugged in more often than not. But today, while on battery power, I encountered the "There is a battery error" message box, out of the blue. Nothing else happened - the system has stayed on so far. I clicked the link in the message and got the generic website.

Should I be concerned? I'm still within the return window from Best Buy, but everything seems normal with it other than that message, and I've only seen it once so far...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors