Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,085
Message 20 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

@scwtte, you should be concerned because most everyone says that battery error message is the precursor to the symptoms.

I would recommend unplugging your Yoga 14, shaking vigorously/violently for stress testing for about 30 seconds, to really ascertain that your laptop will not be prone to the error in the worst of circumstances. Obviously it is not great for your laptop but since you're within the return date, you should probably perform a stress test so you can return it before it's too late
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,195
Message 21 of 157

@un1ty, I don't even need to shake it that much. Most of the times just picking it up from the desktop makes it turn off. Some times it does this even while typing on the keyboard.

If you do open up and find a solution then please do share it with us. 

jmdomini
Paper Tape
Views: 2,175
Message 22 of 157

I also randomly receive the battery errors, minus the laptop powering itself off. It does not seem to have any affect other than being annoying. Unfortunately I am beyond the return window. I have noticed that the latest Yoga 14's at Best Buy have BIOS version 1.08 (JGET22WW) while I have 1.03. The only version posted on Lenovo's site is 1.03 as well.

I'm curious if 1.08 has anything to do with resolving these battery errors and if so why Lenovo is holding back on posting it?

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,173
Message 23 of 157

I think not, because I had these issues with 1.08 and then downgraded, still have issues.

scwtte
What's DOS?
Views: 2,170
Message 24 of 157

Has anyone heard anything from Lenovo on this issue? Do they read this
forum?

I haven't had the error message again, despite trying to shake the machine
a bit. Smiley Happy
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,169
Message 25 of 157

I still have it. What version is your BIOS?

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,118
Message 26 of 157

I contacted IBM about this. Told me to take it to nearest certified IBM warranty partner (or whatever they call it). Did just that, they ivestigated the laptop for about 2 hours, ordered new parts and gave it back to me until the parts will arrive.

Overall great service and I hope the problem will be solved.

Unfortunately thanks to the holidays I couldn't solve this problem before the time for free replacement was over (1 week I guess?).

grizzlybear123
What's DOS?
Views: 2,101
Message 27 of 157

Adding myself to the list of people who have received a "There is a battery error." alert on the Yoga 14, but no shut-off (yet).

I have had my Yoga 14 for about two weeks, but until recently, I hadn't used it much on battery power. Two days ago, I set the laptop into "tent" mode on battery power, and the battery had run down to about 50%, when I received the same error message in the screenshot posted by subversiveasset on the first page of this thread ("Lenovo Settings Power - There is a battery error. - Click for replacement options."). I clicked "OK" and the alert went away, and the laptop did not shut off.

I had not seen the alert previously and have not seen it since. I have been using the laptop on battery power, running down the battery to near-empty. I tried picking the laptop up by the right front corner, but that did not reproduce the issue. I am reluctant to shake or stress-test my new laptop, so I have not tried that.

I will post if the alert comes up again, or if my situation changes. If Lenovo has any input on this issue, please let us know. Thanks.

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,090
Message 28 of 157

It seems that Lenovo itself doesn't even read this forum here?

un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,074
Message 29 of 157

@ppihus I really like the solution of bringing it into a shop and basically still being able to use the laptop (with AC of course) and then just bringing it back to the Thinkpad authorized shop and be done with it. I'm really glad it worked for you.

@ppihus No, I doubt Lenovo takes the time to read it daily ubt I'm sure they check in.

Regarding this massive problem, I think the IDEAL way for Best Buy/Lenovo to solve this problem is by recalling/retesting every unit.  There may be some really simple check to determine which laptops (even possibly serial #s) are affected.  This seems might be the porper way to minimize the amount of time wasted in troubleshooting (and there will be) is to recall/reinspect all Yoga 14's but I don't think that will happen.

But REALISTICALLY, they way they will "solve" this problem is by the customer to use it esentially (if) /till it breaks, at the customer's inconvenience as a guinea pig. 

BTW I opened up my Yoga 14, looked at the battery connections and it just seemed not possible for me to even consider fixing without some spare parts or an idea of which component(s) were broken. If you want to do it this way, you might just buy 2 (or more even) from Best Buy and sort of use the parts and return 1 (especially if it was broken and they needed to ship it back to Lenovo)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors