cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Employee
Views: 1,993
Message 30 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

I was asked to begin an investigation into these reports.

If you are seeing random power shutoffs while on battery, the battery error desribed above, or shaking causes your device to turn off, can you please let me know what model your laptop is if no one else has posted it?

Thank you, 

Former Employee
Views: 2,094
Message 31 of 157

Also, could someone post a screenshot of the model(s) from Best Buy that show BIOS 1.08?

Thanks,

1TrueKevin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,089
Message 32 of 157

@ Amy_Lenovo

Thanks for reading this thread and investigating this issue.

I assume everyone here is referring to the Yoga 14.  No sure what model numbers might exist but mine is 20DM-000VUS.  This particular unit gets the battery error when plugged in at 100% charge, usually overnight-ish.  For example, I pick it up after charging for some time, and find that error dialog on the screen.  I just close it and it seems to function completely OK.  It only seems to happen about once every several days.  

On page 1 of this thread, you will see that I had a prior unit (same model) ordered directly from lenovo.com that suffered the black screen power shutoffs, very specifically when off AC power (but full or adequate battery) and whenever the right side of the base/keyboard was handled in any way (picked up by that side or set down onto that side...even very gently).  This made it unusable off AC power so I returned that one.  

Again, thanks for looking into this.  

scwtte
What's DOS?
Views: 2,080
Message 33 of 157

Mine is also THINKPAD YOGA 14 - 20DM000VUS (purchased from Best Buy). Still
haven't had a random shutoff, and I've only had 2 or 3 error messages pop
up. Just rather annoying.
un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,063
Message 34 of 157

@ Amy_Lenovo

Yes mine is the same model 20DM-000VUS . Mine is in the shop (Lenovo Depot, Atlanta GA) being fixed so I can't take a screenshot. This is the 2nd time it's in the shop.

subversiveasset
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,041
Message 36 of 157

Amy,

I returned my first Thinkpad Yoga 14 and got a replacement. The replacement hasn't been shutting off (it's only been getting the battery replacement error very rarely).

However, when I went into the BIOS, I found out that the laptop is NOT on 1.08. It's on 1.06.

Is there a way to update the BIOS? I feel scared to update it, since my replacement laptop has NOT been having these problems while being on 1.06...is it possible this is a bug relating to bios 1.08?

lenovobios_resize.jpg

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,038
Message 37 of 157

Only one user has reported that he had version 1.08. I know I downgraded but can't really remember which version it was. Might have also been 1.06 (and maybe the one user is mistaken and (s)he also has 1.06)
ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 2,016
Message 38 of 157

@Amy_Lenovo,
  As I said, my local certified IBM warranty shop replaced FRU 00HN613 and FRU 00HN612, but unfortunately it was no help. I am still getting random shutdowns when moving laptop, especially when chaning from tablet mode to laptop mode (or anything between). Also, when putting the laptop to sleep and transporting, I can be 100% certain that when I take it out again, it has turned off (instead of still sleeping).
Here is a screenshot of Windows' event viewer about one shutdown:
This can be seen after every unwanted shutoff.

I got my unit as a christmas gift, so it was unpacked for a few days. When unpacking, it was holiday season and then new years time, when all the IBM shops were closed. Thus, I was not able to return my laptop within one week to get a replacement and now my current shops just wants to switch parts until it starts working. Please let me know if there is a way to replace my clearly faulty unit with a new, working one?  
Thanks in advance.

un1ty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,993
Message 39 of 157

EDIT 2015-01-15: I spoke too soon.  It is 12 hours later and **IT IS BROKEN AGAIN** =(  3rd time's the charm?

*SOLVED*

Lenovo depot sent back my Yoga 14, and it is 100% functional on battery.  I can't believe that this laptop is working. I shook it vigorously and it's still alive. I'm typing on it right now.  It took 2 times in the depot, over 2 months since originally purchasing the laptop, but it works now and I am glad.

On the repair return slip this is what it says (not sure what this all means but maybe it'll help someone)...

PART DESCRIPTION // SYMPTOM

1) D COVER BLACK //BROKEN PLASTICS
2) MISC PARTS KIT //BROKEN PLASTICS
3) PLN NVIDIA 2G I5-4210U W8P //POWERS OFF BY ITSELF

ppihus
Punch Card
Views: 1,977
Message 40 of 157

Hi @un1ty,

Do you happen to have more detailed information on what was changed? Maybe even FRU numbers?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors