Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspirewire
What's DOS?
Views: 2,305
Message 71 of 157

Re: Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

I, too, am impressed with the skills. Doesn't that now nullify your warranty? Lenovo should revisit customer support, service and product reliability...They can't possibly expect those that spend >$1k for a "used to be" IBM dependable work computer to have to use electrical tape, solder?! Or have to loose time without a WORKING, not gaming or fun, computer in attempts to resolve a battery issue that is well documented when newly purchased or under warranty. Disappointed. Best Buy Geek Squad wasn't aware that there was an issue. What agency oversees possible recalls?
mbalraj
What's DOS?
Views: 2,267
Message 72 of 157

Thinkpad S3 Yoga 14 - Random shut offs when not plugged in

Extremely disappointed with this experience I have had  occasions when this new laptop failed me during several meetings. At first it confused me. Then noticed this pattern that when the laptop is not plugged in, it switches off just ike that- especially when the laptop is physically moved. and then i discover today it is not just me not having this problem.

Look forward to knowing from Lenovo as to what is the remedy asap.

Former Employee
Views: 2,257
Message 73 of 157

Lenovo released this document which you can point Lenovo Service to: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Please note the first step. Also, opening a laptop does not void warranty.

Thank you,

serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,249
Message 74 of 157

Amy,

I will call back into Hotlanta sometime in the next few days, and try to get them pointed to the document.  Last time around they seemed to ignore any reference I made to the forums.  I even namedropped you and it was like I was talking to a wall.  It was very similar to talking to Comcast.

Instead of listening to me, he instructed me to run the system diagnostics and acted as though waiting on the line for those to finish was ludicrous... perhaps it seems that way to them, but this is a $1000 machine, and my time is also extremely valuable.  There is a severe lack of respect going on, and it has completely soured me against Lenovo.

Sincerely,

Steve

@Amy_Lenovo wrote:

Lenovo released this document which you can point Lenovo Service to: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Please note the first step. Also, opening a laptop does not void warranty.

Thank you,

etrnldrmr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,242
Message 75 of 157

Good Morning!

I have read document HT102958 and certainly appreciate that the company has acknowledge the problem but the microswitch that turns the machine off when the lid is removed is not located next to a screw, it is located in an area of the computer that flexes when the machine is picked up or moved.  

My machine has been with service since 3/31.  My six day promised turn around has three updates about waiting for parts and has been going on for almost two weeks.  The part that concerns me the most is that Lenovo no longer sells this model -  "Our Apologies.  This Lenovo product is no longer available."

If the laptop was on the market for what?  Three months before it was pulled?  Why are we still waiting for parts or solutions on what even the manufacturer considers a failed model rather than getting a recall?

Thanks for your time and good luck everyone!

kimiyo90
Paper Tape
Views: 2,224
Message 76 of 157

The micro switch referred in the document is a plastic/metal rounded pin in
the bottom lid that contacts the sensor upon closing the lid. The sensor
is a rectangular chip labeled sw2 in the motherboard. You must open the
bottom lid to see it. Reseating the bottom lid as the documentation
suggests did. It work for me because the sensor is so ultra sensitive that
any time there is a flex in the bottom lid, it tends to
minutely disengage that plastic pin off the sensor, and thereby erroneously
turn off the battery.

Some users have applied few layers of eletrical tape over the pin to a
certain degree of success. For a permanent solution. I soldered the
sensor's leads as suggested by user RegisterFault. After soldering, I
shaved off the micro switch since leaving it may pinch and remove the
solder blob I created on the sensors leads. i have not had any more issues
since. The best thing about this solution is you don't have to worry about
reseating the micro switch anymore.

serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,196
Message 77 of 157

They are having me send mine in to depo...  They quoted me 7 days, anyone have experience with this?  I am also having issue with the trackpad not working.  Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers with no luck.  The gestures and clicks continue to work, but the cursor no longer moves.  The red dot sometimes continues to work, but not always.  no other mouse software installed.

etrnldrmr
Paper Tape
Views: 2,193
Message 78 of 157

They quoted me 6 days.  They have had it since 3/31 and just keep updating that it is waiting for parts.  Last update was 4/8.  Good luck!

@serf wrote:

They are having me send mine in to depo...  They quoted me 7 days, anyone have experience with this?  I am also having issue with the trackpad not working.  Tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers with no luck.  The gestures and clicks continue to work, but the cursor no longer moves.  The red dot sometimes continues to work, but not always.  no other mouse software installed.

serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,050
Message 79 of 157

They received my yoga this morning and around noon I get this. rough.

noreply@lenovo.com
(42 minutes ago)
to me

Hello NAME at E-MAIL

Your Service Request has been delayed due to parts availability

Service Request#: HIDDEN
Product: 20DM
Serial#: HIDDEN

If you questions please call 800-426-7416

Your update was received on 04/20/2015 at 12:42

serf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,010
Message 80 of 157

They said they are replacing the keyboard and system board. The system board is the reason for the delay, so far no ETA. No mention of how this is going to fix the random shut-off issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors