Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

09-19-2014

Canada

142 Signins

565 Page Views

• Views: 565
  • Message 1 of 14

Re: Thinkpad Yoga - ghosting / after-image / watermark issue

2014-09-19, 10:43 AM

Hey all, just thought I'd leave my 2 cents here.

I bought a Thinkpad Yoga i7 version from the Microsoft store for a pretty decent price, knowing the potential issues it has but under the assurance of a 30 day warranty.

It's an absolutely lovely laptop, and it knocks everything else out of the park in almost every regard... however after a couple days of using and constantly inspecting it for any issues, it began to display minor ghosting issues. With the checkerboard test, it showed a faint but long lasting retention (for a minute or two). Not only that, but I'm noticing a faint yellow splotch on the middle left portion of the screen. 

I'm very disappointed with this because this machine is absolutely fantastic in every regard, but I'm almost certain I'm going to have to end up returning it within the next few days. I should note that I do have the SPB2 updated screen, so it seems that the new screen unfortunately doesn't resolve these issues. It's a shame for the computer to be so well built but have a poorly built screen to top it off. I'll hold onto the laptop for another week or so while I look for a suitable replacement, and see if the conditions worsen or plateau as it is now and let you guys know.

It's sad to see such a wonderful machine to be plagued by such minor but deal-breaking issues, and I hope Lenovo can address them accordingly as they'll be producing one heck of a laptop.

Options

14 Posts

08-18-2014

Germany

33 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 2 of 14

2014-09-19, 12:50 PM

@dave - That are really bad news regarding the SPB2 panel.

In my case, It's been a week and a half since I got my first screen replacement, unfortunately spb1 model, and the ghosting in this one is much worse than in the previous one. It appears after one minute using chrome, and is stronger.

On monday I will get my third screen, and then let's see what happens, but I am really disappointed whit this issue.

That's not a matter of perception, I haven't seen so a strong ghosting in any modern device. It lasts for around 5 minutes to completely dissapear.

Anyone here with experience getting a refund in Germany?

Regards

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 3 of 14

2014-09-19, 19:00 PM

Mavr,

That is really disappointing to hear.  Can you confirm that you have indeed received the later panel, and that service in your location is not just using downlevel parts?

Dave,

Please see my PM.  I've very interested in getting a look at your system.  We have been assured of the fix and it is concerning to me personally that these issues are being reported on an ongoing basis!

Thanks

Mark

Options

14 Posts

08-18-2014

Germany

33 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 4 of 14

2014-09-19, 23:57 PM

Hi Mark, thanks for your response. My current panel is the spb1 model. My first sentence in my previous message was related to Dave's message. I edited it because it was confusing.

I will get a new replacement on monday. I hope the new model this time.

Options

22 Posts

09-19-2014

Deutschland

71 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 5 of 14

2014-09-20, 16:02 PM

Hi everyone,

im having really bad ghosting issues as well. In my case the issue occurrs in an X240, but these seem to have the same Displays as the Yoga models. My System reports the following Display to be built in:

LGD Model 437 - LP125WF2-SPB2

Any chances to get this issue fixed by newer panels or are the current replacement panels of the same type?

@mavr: I'm from germany too.

Options

10 Posts

09-12-2014

Canada

22 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 6 of 14

2014-09-20, 18:39 PM

@Dave_thetroll: Thanks a lot for the info. You've convinced me to look for something else. Too bad.

@norritt: If you look earlier in this thread, you'll see that the 'SPB2' displays are the new ones that are supposed to have the retention issue resolved (the older ones being SPB1). But according to a few recent reports now on this thread, including yours, it looks like the new displays still have the issue. If you haven't had it too long, you might want to try to return it for something else.

Options

20 Posts

03-31-2014

Sweden

37 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 7 of 14

2014-09-20, 19:35 PM

I contacted my local consumer rights organisation who took my side in the issue. My claim was for Lenovo to either replace my display to a working unit or issue a full refund.

Lenovo are aware of the issue and have no replacement which don't have this issue. Since I won the case, they now have to issue a full refund and they will be sending me shipping label for me to return the TPY with.

This is probably my last time writing there, I just wanted to disclose this to all of you affected. As of right now, no one has confirmed that they have received a working display. Some of you have gotten new displays but no one has confirmed that they have gotten a unit which doesn't exhibit the issue after 2 months use.

I'd just like to point out the difference between the image retention and IPS glow. Retention is NOT an issue inherent with IPS diplays. Youa re thinking of IPS glow or blooming which is a different issue altogether and shouldn't be confused with retention.

I am just glad that Lenovo finally took responsibility and admit to the issue, even though it took a consumer rights organisation to decide in my favour for them to do so.

Options

20 Posts

03-31-2014

Sweden

37 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 8 of 14

2014-09-20, 19:41 PM

The service rep I spoke to before buing the TPY assured me that if I bought one I wouldn't get an affected unit some 6 months ago when I first bought it. That was a lie. That much is an undisputable fact based on what happened.

Regarding Mark's comments. Can you provide any form of evidence that you have a solution? Lenovo gave me a refund as there is no solution, yet you claim there is? Dell who also use the LG 12.5" panels appear to tell the truth whereas you don't as far as everything presented. Additionally, people still get affected units with no apparent solution in sight? 

Frankly, it appears as if the Lenovo brand was sold with the sole purpose of runing it into the ground and getting as much profit of it as possible.

Options

22 Posts

09-19-2014

Deutschland

71 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 9 of 14

2014-09-20, 20:07 PM

Just out of curiosity - are there any FHD TN Panels available for the Yoga/X240? I've been only able to find information about a 1366 x 768 TN panel but not a TN version of the 1920x1080 display.

Options

10 Posts

09-12-2014

Canada

22 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 10 of 14

2014-09-21, 8:04 AM

@damorgue: I am referring to some research that I did that suggests that IPS technology does have some amount of image retention associated with it. As just one example, see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

Perhaps the technology has gotten a lot better in recent years so that this is rarely noticeable. And perhaps in some cases (like with these LG panels) some poor engineering winds up resulting in the effect becoming a lot more severe.

I was just hoping that perhaps the new SPB2 displays only had a normal minor amount and that maybe people were looking too hard for it but it's starting to sound like that's not the case and that the issue is still serious.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms