Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YogaDog
Paper Tape
Views: 578
Message 1 of 5

Reformat ThinkPad Yoga Using Windows 10

Greetings:

I have a Thinkpad Yoga (Type 20CD, Model 00B1US) that shipped with Windows 8 Pro installed.  I later upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.  I need to reformat as the machine is sluggish at times.  

Any suggestions/tips for doing a complete reformat of the hard drive and then a clean install using Windows 10 Pro?  My concern is impacting the BIOS or losing any of the Lenovo drivers for things like the function keys, keyboard light, screen digitizer, etc.  I am assuming simply reinstalling Windows 10 Pro (instead of reformatting and then reinstalling Windows 10 Pro) will not provide the performance boost I am looking for.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Guru
Views: 502
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reformat ThinkPad Yoga Using Windows 10

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Do not worry about the BIOS (it won't change) or the drivers if you reinstall Windows 10.

All Lenovo drivers are on the  support page of your Yoga Model.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Yoga-Series-laptops/ThinkPa...

You have two options:

1) Make Windows 10 made a refresh of the Windows image. (sometimes it does not works)

or

2) Install Windows 10 from a USB Flash or DVD-ROM (if you have some drive available).

I recommend you to install two pieces of software once you have Windows installed.

- Lenovo Companion, that will offer you the updates of drivers automatically (same drivers of the Lenovo Support site)

- Lenovo Settings, which helps you administrate your thinkpad computer.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

YogaDog
Paper Tape
Views: 497
Message 3 of 5

Thank you!
P4L
Fanfold Paper
Views: 487
Message 4 of 5

You can save a yourselves from hard headache, if you download the drivers first from the Lenovo site ( you may find them also in an pack so you don’t have to download them one by one) and not letting the pc to connect to the internet after win 10 install. Because windows 10 will look up and install drivers for you, and you don’t want that!!! Believe me. Actually windows updates mess up drivers also sometimes and they make so much trouble.  

YogaDog
Paper Tape
Views: 481
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for the heads up!
Top Kudoed Authors