Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DudgeonousTweet
Paper Tape
Views: 273
Message 1 of 5

S431 - 8 minute cold boot

Hello Thinkpadders,

My Thinkpad S431 has some kind of disease.  I don't know if it is manmade or not.  The symptoms have been evolving with time.  Back in October of 2014 the symptom was that Windows 7 would hang during shutdown.  At that time I did a triage investigation in msconfig where I discovered that if I disabled the ExpressCache service it would not hang during shutdown.  So I disabled ExpressCache.  Then some time more than 6 months ago I noticed that the machine would take over 8 minutes to cold boot.  Recently I have become infected with one or more malware programs and have been throwing things out to regain control of the system.  ExpressCache has been disabled and uninstalled.  Lenovo RapidBoot has been disabled.  After expunging several malware programs the cold boot time is rock solid steady at 8 minutes 14 seconds.

Since ExpressCache is gone and RapidBoot has been disabled I decided to disable the LITEONIT LSS-24L6G in the Device Manager.  When I did that the boot time dropped from 8 minutes 14 seconds to 5 minutes 11 seconds.  This is the time for a cold, clean boot.

I have questions about this:

Why would disabling the SSD cache speed things up?  Does it burn resources even when the software that drives it has been disabled?  Is there software in the stack somewhere that is polling for an answer that it will never get?  Does that software do that without complaint or can I find an error message somewhere?

What is the time that a cold, clean should take for an S431 with the SSD cache disabled?

It is hard for me to believe that 5 minutes 11 seconds is normal for an S431 even with its SSD cache disabled.   It is a clean boot.  It is not burdened with more than the minimal Microsoft load.  Skydrive has been disabled and uninstalled.  The boot time is the same whether there is networking or no networking.  A modern machine that is so lightly loaded should not take over five minutes to cold boot.

I need to know if this is normal because I need to know whether to keep looking for a virus.

If it is not normal, I don't want to turn on all the caching and make it go faster because then I am just making the virus go faster. 

Thank you for any help.

Guru
Views: 247
Message 2 of 5

Re: S431 - 8 minute cold boot

Hi, welcome to the forums.

You are using and sticking with Windows 7, right? In that case, how often have you been updating the BIOS or the driver of the machine.

Check the support site of your model and try first to update the Firmware/BIOS of your computer.

It is always good to update the power management drivers of your thinkpad, it may help you with the "hangs" during shutdown or sleep.

If you feel confortable installing/uninstalling driver, I may recommend "DriverEasy" (not supported by Lenovo) to check if you have any older driver that may be updated.

About the HDD I'm not sure which hardware does that machine has, but you may also check on the Lenovo support site for your model an utility to check the health of your HDD. And there is even an firmware update if you are using an SDD drive.

Maybe the last thing you can do is to make a clean install of Windows 7 if updating the BIOS and driver does not work for you.

I know it is not too much but I hope it helps.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

DudgeonousTweet
Paper Tape
Views: 226
Message 3 of 5

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been working on this problem since my last post.  During that time I made the rediscovery that I had the machine set up for a diagnostic boot.  Apparently this does an extended Power on Self Test.  When I turned off the diagnostic boot the cold boot time dropped from 5 minutes 11 seconds to the Logon Screen down to 4 minutes 0 seconds.  That is a good improvement from the original 8 minutes 14 seconds to the Logon Screen but it is still very long compared with a restart.  A restart takes 35 seconds to the Logon Screen.

I acted on your suggestion and looked at my UEFI/BIOS.  I was at version 1.11.  I installed the latest.  The UEFI/BIOS is now at version 1.13.  The result was no change.  The cold boot time is still 4 minutes to the Logon screen.

I have run all of the Lenovo HDD scanning software programs.  They all testify that the HDD is fine.  Both chkdsk and sfc /scannow testify that the HDD is fine.

I have done experiments with the drivers.  Using msconfig boot log I find that the drivers that are listed in ntbtlog.txt for a cold boot are almost identical to those that are listed for a restart. 

This cold boot time is for a clean boot.  All non microsoft services have been disabled except Malwarebytes and I have disabled that also and it does not make a difference.  I have done the no gui boot.  No difference.

To address the issue of the drivers, I could start disabling those but I am concerned that I might disable something that would turn my computer into a brick.  Do you happen to know what is the minimum list of drivers that are sufficient to have a working computer?

The Malwarebytes Antimalware help forum has helped me get rid of a lot of malware and have pronounce the PC to to be malware free at this point.

What should be the normal cold boot time for a clean boot of a S431 computer with the SSD disabled?  Certainly it must be less than 4 minutes.

Thank you.

Guru
Views: 221
Message 4 of 5

Hi.

"Do you happen to know what is the minimum list of drivers that are sufficient to have a working computer?"

If you are using Windows 7,  you can do a clean install and the computer will boot. Some thing may not look nice until you install the drivers but I think it will be usable for you to install the drivers and check what is going on.  But my case is that I feel confortable installing/uninstalling driver and reinstalling Windows from scratch, but I don't know if it will apply for you.

What I will do as a final test to check what is going on it to make a clean install for Windows 7 wipping all the HDD (please remember to take a backup).  You can get all the drivers from your computer on the Lenovo Thinkpad S431 support site.

But this is my suggestion based on my point of view and my personal experience, I'm not sure if you are willing to do that or if you require some more technical help for this.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

DudgeonousTweet
Paper Tape
Views: 217
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure what is a clean install of Windows 7.  I looked on the web and it seems probable that what you were talking about what is often called a non-destructive reinstallation of Windows.  The instructions for doing that in a manner that would preserve my files and working environment seem prohibitively complicated.

More than that it would either solve my problem or it would not.  If it did not solve my problem it would be a very large waste of time.  If it did solve my problem I would be left with not knowing what my problem was except that it was a problem that could be solved with a reinstallation of Windows.  This is very unsatisfying.

For these two reasons I don't want to do a non-destructive reinstallation of Windows. 

Do you happen to know what is the minimum set of drivers that are sufficient to have a working Windows 7.

Does anyone that you know in the Lenovo community possibly know what is the normal cold boot time of a Thinkpad S431 with the SSD disabled?

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors