Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eschmuhl
Paper Tape
Views: 900
Message 1 of 4

S5 Yoga 15 won't turn on

My S5 Yoga 15 won't turn on

When I press and hold the power button, the red light comes on only after I let go of the power button, and it stays on for only 5 seconds.

Screen never illuminates, fan doesn't twitch or move. I've reseated all cables, tried removing RAM, moving the sticks around. Even with RAM removed, the thinkpad does the same behavior.

Pressing the tact switch only seems to reset the system. I've removed the CMOS battery and main battery to reset the CMOS settings. And that doesn't work either.

The notebook is just over a year old.

eschmuhl
Paper Tape
Views: 840
Message 2 of 4

Re: S5 Yoga 15 won't turn on

bump

tallbruva
What's DOS?
Views: 797
Message 3 of 4

I've had this problem for almost a year.

First, it won't power on at all. I took it to a service center where they replaced the motherboard and the display. After that, it started doing what we're experiencing.

I've discovered that it usually happens if it's been plugged in for an extended period (a few days) without being turned on. After about a week when the battery naturally starts discharging, it will power on.

The only thing that seems to prevent this is to use it regularly if it is plugged in. If you know you're not going to use it for a few days, unplug it. This isn't a fix and it is extremely annoying and frustrating. This is the best laptop I have used -- when it works. I have a backup laptop so I'm not dead in the water.

Currently I'm waiting for mine to dischage. I'm writing this on my HP Envy 360.

eschmuhl
Paper Tape
Views: 785
Message 4 of 4

I also tried replacing the BIOS chip, it had the same result.

At this point in time. I'm not buying any Lenovo hardware anymore. Each notebook I've bought from them have had a serious issue, or major security flaw

1) laptop shutting off if moved - Yoga 14 (resolved by soldering the chassis tact switch)

2) screen flickering problems - Yoga 15

3) This issue

4) Not booting past POST, probably BIOS randomly getting fried - U400

It just doesn't end..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors