Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jal66
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 204
Message 1 of 3

S531 fails to power up

Hi,

I've got a S531 here which cannot be switched on anymore. Previous owner claims there was no accident with fluids etc.

The power supply has 20V. When I attach it, the system indicator doesn't blink three times as described in the HMM.

Pressing the power button doesn't cause an reaction.

I've already tried to detach the internal battery and BIOS battery. The device draws approx. 50mA at 20V.

Guess the system indicator is controlled by the embedded controller alone, so there must be something preventing the EC from working correctly.

Any ideas?

Regards,

jal2

Guru
Views: 182
Message 2 of 3

Re: S531 fails to power up

Hi

Since you already disconnected the internal battery, I guess it is usesless to try the "reset hole" button or pressing the power button for 4 seconds of more.

Maybe you can check if the machine is on warranty and and send it over the Lenovo repair shop (by opening a ticket).

On the forums I only found this similar thing (Thinkpad S531 - No Beep / Black LCD ) but there is not a fix for the issues.

Sorry I can not help much, maybe someone with more experience on this model can say something. Please post something back if you find the solution.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

jal66
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 162
Message 3 of 3

Re: S531 fails to power up

@martiniturbide wrote:

> Maybe you can check if the machine is on warranty and and send it over the Lenovo repair shop (by opening a ticket).

Unfortunately it is out of warranty.

> On the forums I only found this similar thing (Thinkpad S531 - No Beep / Black LCD ) but there is not a fix for the issues.

The workaround there was to remove the RAM module. Afterwards the S531 booted. Not in my case.

Regards,

jal66

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors