cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard82
Paper Tape
Views: 3,391
Message 1 of 14

Same Power-On and Supervisor Passwords – How to reset them?

Hi,

on my Lenovo Twist s230u I set up the same passphrase for power-on password and for supervisor password. I also enabled "Lock UEFI BIOS Settings" feature. Now my BIOS is in read-only mode.

When the laptop starts it asks for a password (it's the icon of a monitor and of a lock, according to the manual it asks me to "type a power-on password or a supervisor password").

I enter the password and it can boot. I can also enter BIOS but everything is read-only.

It does not ask me for supervisor password specificaly. And it seems to think that I entered power-on and not the supervisor password... Because it's the same passphrase.

How do I enter BIOS as a supervisor?

Thank you!

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,380
Message 2 of 14

Re: Same Power-On and Supervisor Passwords – How to reset them?

If your power on and supervisor were different, you would have been prompted twice; once for the power on pwd., and then again for the supervisor pwd. when entering the BIOS, but when they are the same, and you enter the supervisor pwd. at power on, it will not prompt you again for the supervisor pwd. since it already has obtained the higher level password.....It should however unlock the BIOS, so if it is not prompting for a supervisor password, it must be a system bug.      

Unfortunately I do not know of any way around that other than sending your computer to the factory support to have the system board replaced since it is very low level and designed to prevent theft of data, and there is no way to reset it.

Normally they charge for that even if under warranty, but since in your case it sounds like a Lenovo bug, it should be covered in my humble opinion.

Lost or forgotten password - ThinkPad General

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht036206 

Good Luck

Richard82
Paper Tape
Views: 3,371
Message 3 of 14

Thx, for a response.

I am somehow 99% sure that I set same passwords. But if I'm wrong and they are different, would it ask me for the supervisor password once I enter BIOS after entering power-on password?

Is it always accepting both passwords once I start laptop? (Maybe I should start with AC plugged in or some other conditions in order for supervisor password to be accepted?)

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,363
Message 4 of 14

Yes, you are correct.    

If the passwords were not the same, once you entered the power-on passord, you would next be prompted for a supervisor password upon attempting to enter the BIOS.    Because it is not doing so, it is accepting the power on password as the supervisor password and thus not prompting for the Supervisor password to enter setup.

One thought, how are you entering the BIOS, are you pressing enter at startup and selecting Setup from the menu, or are you pressing another key like F1?   It should not make a difference, but you might try F1 or F2 to see if you get a different prompt.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,354
Message 5 of 14

What operating system?  I am guessing 8, 8.1 or 10.  You need to have the machine go through a full shutdown so you can hit enter or F1 at the splash screen in order to get the BIOS prompt.  To get that to happen, hold the shift key while you are powering off, or you can boot into the bios under the settings/recovery/advanced start-up sequence.  Assuming your passwords are the same, at the password prompt, enter the password.  It will accept it and then automatically try the same password for the BIOS.  You then be able to change settings.  If your PWs different, then you will get a 2nd prompt and you have a problem.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,345
Message 6 of 14

Huh?  

Richard82 has stated that he is getting into the BIOS, so regardless of OS, he clearly is shutting down properly or he would would not be even be presented with the option to enter the BIOS to see it locked down if it were a warm boot.

The issue is that he is only being prompted to enter the "POWER ON" password when entering setup, but is not being prompted for a second Supervisor Password to modify the BIOS settings, so unless Lenovo has some secret key command to prompt for the supervisor pwd, there must be some sort of bug when the two passwords are the same.

Am I missing something?

Richard82
Paper Tape
Views: 3,329
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

I tried steps as you proposed - I selected option to restart into BIOS from my Windows 10. But same thing happened. I got the password request and entered the password. Then BIOS started but still in the read-only mode.

I also tried following ways of starting BIOS:

F1 -> password request, then BIOS

F2 -> no special reaction

F10 -> it asks me for password then shows the very first screen until I press a button then it starts the OS

F12 -> it asks me for password then shows boot menu, selecting Setup start BIOS in read-only mode

Esc -> no special reaction

Enter -> password request, then Lenovo diagnostics

I also installed the original SSD (which is still password-protected, but wit a different password). It resulted in additional request for the disk password directly after the power-on password request but besides this I don't see any difference.

In the manual a "supervisor" password request is mentioned. It uses the icon with a small human next to a lock. I never got this request.

I always get the "power-on or supervisor password request" (icon with some sort of a small display next to a lock). 

I read that on some Lenovos "deep shut down" (or cold boot or whatever it can be called) is necessary in order to enter the "Supervisor" mode. Do you know something about this?

I also read about supervisor password being possibly limited to 7 characters. My password is actually 5 chars long.

Thanks for your help!

MFerreira
Paper Tape
Views: 2,411
Message 8 of 14

I got the very same problem here on a Thinkpad P50. Anyone got a way to enter the supervisor password if both power-on and supervisor were set the same?

Thanks,

Moacir

MFerreira
Paper Tape
Views: 2,391
Message 9 of 14

Just as an update, I have followed the procedure to remove power-on password that is by removing the battery and coing-cell battery. Now when I boot the system I get a message "0199 System Security - Security password retry count exceeded; Press F1 to enter setup". When I press F1 the system shows an icon with a person and a locker but when I enter the supervisor password it fails to authenticate. All this said, the icon that it shows is not on the manual as the "person" on it shows on the left side of the locker. As I was just testing features on a new laptop, I set all passwords (power-on, supervisor and hard disk) to the same but I don't care about resetting the system to factory defaults and zeroing the disk. I just want to get the laptop working back again.

Can anyone help?

MFerreira
Paper Tape
Views: 2,370
Message 10 of 14

For those willing to see an answer, I took the P50 to the Lenovo's services partner and after few hours they said it is a problem on the BIOS and that the mainboard has to be replaced as per Lenovo's technical support for service partners.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors