Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 792
Message 11 of 22

Re: Secondary hard drive for Yoga 370 ?

@Xendra wrote:

I wish i knew what Brand\model 

The SSD I tested with is shown in my first post:  ADATA ASP900NS34-256GM-C

Also as mentioned in my post, my 370 is a pre-production unit and may not have the same firmware or hadware as the customer-ship units.

I wish I could guarantee that the same SSD I used would work in your laptop, but I can't Smiley Sad

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 777
Message 12 of 22

Thank you so much 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 767
Message 13 of 22

I will try to do that today.  Need to open up the laptop again and remember where in the junk drawer I found the SSD.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 764
Message 14 of 22

Hi again,

I ran the tests requested.  BIOS version is R0HET41W (1.21), EC version R0HHT32W (1.12)  Those are 370 versions, but as shown in BIOS info this laptop thinks it is a Yoga 260.  That has been corrected elsewhere so that the driver/update tools know to download 370 software - but is further indication that this is a pre-production unit.

The 2nd SSD is not visible anywhere in the BIOS.  Not in the boot menu, nor boot menu configuration.

It is visible and can be read/written from Windows.  Tested with the ADATA and an 80mm Liteon (which doesn't fit but I could at least test).  Events are as below.

FWIW,

Z.

TP Yoga 370 ADATA SSD in WWAN CROPPED.pngTP Yoga 370 Liteon SSD in WWAN CROPPED.png

Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 754
Message 15 of 22

Thank you so much for your fast response, I really appreciate it!

Your last post helped me a lot:

The fact that Bios can't see that second ssd is what I needed to verified, without been able to boot to it, the second ssd is useless to me : (

Sure it is nice to have extra storage, but I really needed it for Linux experiment I was hoping to preform.

Now I just hope that the Bios can boot from a micro SD card reader instead... it will be a huge blow to me if it doesn't.

(for the experiment I need to avoid using any type of USB port, and i really want to keep Windows on the primery SSD)

Look like for now, adding a secondary hard drive for Yoga 370 that you can boot from (or even use in anyway) is NOT duable on a standard model.

Thank you, Xendra.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 744
Message 16 of 22

To my knowledge no ThinkPad can boot from the SD card slot.  SD card in a USB reader yes, but directly, no.

I haven't tried it but I'm fairly certain from what I've read here in the forums that it won't fly.  But it's easy enough to try.

I take it Linux in a VM isn't an option.  How about installing a dual-boot setup on the main SSD?  Should be possible if Linux is installed after Windows and you use grub2 as your boot loader.

Very sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Z.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 733
Message 17 of 22

Xendra wrote:

> Now I just hope that the Bios can boot from a micro SD card reader instead...

I doubt, as Z. explained above.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 723
Message 18 of 22

Hello,

One think you could do is replace the existing 256GB M.2 2280 SSD with a larger capacity one.  One thing to note is that because of the slim dimensions of the ThinkPad Yoga 370, it has to be a model that is single-sided, e.g., has chips only on one side of the circuit board.  SSD models with chips on both sides of the circuitboard are too thick to fit correctly into the Yoga 370's M.2 connector.

For the Yoga 370's Micro SD slot, the largest currently-available Micro SDXC card available is a SanDisk 400GB model.  It is not particularly fast compared to an SSD (it basically is close to the speed of a fast HDD), but if you need additional storage without having anything external, it might be an option for you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Highlighted
Rafael_Spain
Paper Tape
Views: 163
Message 19 of 22

I bought a memory as a second hard drive ( KingSpec 2242 NGFF 512GB M.2 SSD SATA III 6Gb/s ) to put it in the wwan slot.
To my surprise it does not work. Windows does not show it on devices.
To eliminate hardware problems, I took my other laptop Lenovo t470, which after several problems with previous versions of BIOS,
have finally solved and with the bios version of the t470 1.54 and embedded controller version 1.33, the disk recognizes it perfectly.
The hardware is similar in both models. Both with thunderbolt port, same cpu same ram, same chipset.
Unfortunately, with the lenovo thinkpad yoga 370 and the version of BIOS 1.32 and the embedded version 1.15 does not work.
This is the last version that appears on the page dated October 4. Is there any open work to solve this problem as it was solved in the Lenovo 470?
For my work it is important to make the upgrade of the second disk independent of the first. Is there a place in the forum to make requests to work
on solving the bios problem?

Thank you very much.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 156
Message 20 of 22

Usually, the laptop with wwan slot supports either 2242 SSD if the primary drive can be HDD type. In this case the small SSD is used for cache purpose.

ThinkPad Yoga 370 can be equipped by m.2 2280 SSD only. So, the cache drive is useless for this laptop, the 2nd storage isn't needed due to laptop positioning.

And, in contrast, T470 supports both 2.5" SSD and HDD, the systems with the latter drive are shipping (not all models, of course) with small 2242 SSD as a caching drive.

So, there isn't a BIOS issue in Yoga 370 on that matter.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors