Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,393
Message 1 of 22

Secondary hard drive for Yoga 370 ?

Hello everyone Smiley Happy 

I have a small thecnical question... can I add a secondary hard drive for Yoga 370 ?

I am happy with the on board 256 SSD, but I wish to have secondary hard drive that will not be part of the operating system (for storage only that I can remove/replace).

Thanks you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,340
Message 2 of 22

Re: Secondary hard drive for Yoga 370 ?

I have not tried that model but other, similar models will not take an SSD in the WWAN slot.  (X1 carbon, x1 yoga)  If you want to try, you need a format 2242 drive.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,324
Message 3 of 22

Thank you Richk,

I a not sure what "2242" means.

Yestrday I have called Lenovo and the tech guy told me that the WWAN slot (42mm M.2) can be used for SSD,
so I order one...

Now I am worried I have order the wrong model as I was not aware that I should have looked for "2242" type (not sure what it is)

The tech guy did offer to help me get it running over the phone once I will install it, so I for sure will keep you posted on the outcome.

This is the model I will be trying:
256GB ZTC Armor 42mm M.2 NGFF 6G SSD for $146 CDN

• Based on Toggle 2.0 MLC NAND Flash
  • Model # ZTC-SM201-256G

I really need this to work... 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,316
Message 4 of 22

I'm sure for 100% that Yoga 370 doesn't support the 2nd SSD in the wwan slot as it has primary (and the only) SSD and doesn't have a HDD as an option. So, there aren't the reasons to have small m.2 2242 SSD as a cache drive by design. This is a common concept for any ThinkPad with the only SSD as Richard said above.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,301
Message 5 of 22

So you are telling me that, the Lenovo tech doesn't know what he is talking about,
and I have bought the 2242 SSD for nothing? that is very depressing  ; (

Some Lenovo threads I found claim that it is a bios issue,
some 2242 SSD do work if you downgrade the bios firmware, and some 2242 SSD (such as Mydigitalssd Superboot2) work regardless of the Bois firmware (by passing the issue) 

I don't know if this true for my model or not (and with my lack it is probably not true and the card won't work) 

I just don't feel that it is fair from Lenovo tech to give me such falls info, I made a purchase based on their expertise, and now I will be stuck with this useless to me 2242 SSD if (and when) it won't work.

; (

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,298
Message 6 of 22

FWIW, I had to try this just now in my TPY370. Definitely did not expect it to work based on the above comments and the documentation.

Here's disk management with an ADATA SSD in the WWAN slot.  There's something _very_ wrong since it's showing both drives as encrypted, but I believe that's unrelated.  I've since managed to decrypt them.

There was a prior installation of Windows on the new SSD but it doesn't show up in the boot menu, even after decrypting.  Can't get live Ubuntu to boot on it either.  That may or may not be a limitation of the WWAN slot on this machine.  Will explore further as time permits.

I can read and write the new SSD OK.  This is a pre-production 370 but I am running the latest BIOS.  It doesn't guarantee that it will work in your machine, but don't give up hope just yet - and please report back.

Z.

TP Yoga 370 SSD in WWAN Slot RESZED.png

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,291
Message 7 of 22

Thank you so much for posting this!

I too also plan to install Linux Ubuntu (or Mint) on the 2242 SSD, (one OS for each SSD)

but, if Ubuntu won't boot on it either, at least I can always use the 2242 SSD for extra storage, so I will be happy either way.

I just need the 2242 SSD to work on my laptop...

I will sure report back when I will get the chance to install the 2242 SSD.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,286
Message 8 of 22

At this point I can't say whether your drive will be bootable (if it works at all...).

The bitlocker situation has left the SSD in a weird state.  It works fine in Windows in the 370 but can't be used in my desktop even after decrypting.

In a USB adapter I can do anything I want with it on the 370 but on the desktop it can't be formatted or written Smiley Sad

[edit] The above issue turned out to be a conflict between the specific USB adapter I was using and  the specific USB hub.  When directly connected to the desktop USB ports the SSD was fully operational after decrypting.  Very confusing but probably not germane to the conversation at all.  Sorry about the noise.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Xendra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,168
Message 9 of 22

Here is un update:

I put the SSD in the 2242 slot, and so far no luck.

Bios or Windows can't see it...

- maybe my card brand\model is not supported?

- maybe I am missing a firmware? (or a driver?)

I don't know, I have called lenovo they are not providing any kind of help on this.

(not in the inteded of use, or something like that)

I wish i knew what Brand\model 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,162
Message 10 of 22

I don't have a Yoga 370 to test with, but I have always used Transcend 2242 drives and have never had a commpatibility problem.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors