cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmharwood
Paper Tape
Views: 1,030
Message 1 of 5

Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20FY) mini displayport won't work.

I picked up a Skylake yoga 14 (model # 20FY0002US) and I'm not getting anything from the DVI or HDMI outputs on a mini-DP to HDMI/DP/DVI adapter.

This is the particular adapter I tried:

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-HDMI%C2%AE-Passive-Adapter/dp/B013Z71ZI0/ref=sr_1_9?ie...

To be clear, the adapter offers DVI, HDMI, and DP outputs, only one of which works at a time. I'm not trying to plug three monitors into it. However, if I hook up a monitor via either the DVI or the HDMI outputs, the computer freezes for 15-60 seconds and nothing shows up on the external monitor.

Drivers are all updated. I've tried the adapter on a Surface Pro 3 and it worked flawlessly. I've also tried it with multiple external monitors, so the problem is definitely with my ThinkPad. I've also tried DP1.1 and DP 1.2 versions of the adapter. Again, nothing out of the DVI or HDMI outputs.

Oddly enough, when I tried a simple mini-DP to VGA adapter, it worked. 

What gives? This is a pretty important functionality to be missing... 

FrankG1
Paper Tape
Views: 842
Message 2 of 5

Re: Skylake ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20FY) mini displayport won't work.

I've tried two miniDP to DVI cables which neither worked.  I just bought an Apple miniDP to VGA adapter and that doesn't work either.  I've tested the monitors and they are good.  I'm assuming the cables are not the issue since I tried three.  I just read on another post that it is a design limitation that miniDP to HDMI or DVI do not work with this laptop.  I don't understand that.  However, it says that miniDP to VGA should work.  It clearly works for you.  Did you do anything other than plug the adapter in? 

cmharwood
Paper Tape
Views: 836
Message 3 of 5

Nothing special. The miniDP to VGA worked without issue. I'd just be sure to install the latest drivers for both GPUs. While I'm sure you tried it already, just make sure that you are sending a signal to the second monitor in the display settings...

Npr2b
Punch Card
Views: 813
Message 4 of 5

See: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Yoga-260-Windows-10-blinking-external-m...

I was only having intermittent success with this adapter http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00WHR06XK/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_2 until I completely uninstalled/reinstalled the .4352 graphics driver (not overwriting it)... No issues since on my Yoga 260 with a miniDP to VGA/DVI/HDMI. The Lenovo miniDP to VGA adapter (0A36536) also works well now.

FrankG1
Paper Tape
Views: 770
Message 5 of 5

So here is the update:

Called Lenovo's tech support last week and they said that the apple mini displayport to vga adaptor would not work.  They bascially said that I needed a non-apple adapter.  Doesn't make any sense, but I'm no expert.  They also said that they would only recommend Lenovo's mini displayport to vga adapter.  I could've gone down to BestBuy and buy a non lenovo adapter, but then if it failed. then they would probably say that's why.  So I paid $10 more for the Lenovo version and waited a week longer to get it.

Fast forward to today.  I get the adaptor in the mail, plug it in, and it does not work.  Call Lenovo and they say send the laptop in now.  I depend on this laptop to run my business and can't afford to not have it for an entire week.  Yes I understand that it's pretty dumb to have a single computer to rely on, but I can't afford to buy two at once at the moment.  Especially when I just paid $1,000 for this one.

Really, really disappointed in Lenovo.  I sold my Dell laptop, so that I can get a more reliable machine.  I was really expecting more from this company. 

Any outside help here would be very much appreciated!

-I have unistalled/reinstalled both video card drivers

-Used 2 mini displayport to vga adapters in addition to 2 mini displayports to dvi (Which reportedly don't work)<dumb

-Used multiple vga cords

-Used 2 monitors which both work with other computers

-HDMI works with my TV

At this point I do not know if its an issue with the drivers, windows 10, or some random setting that I am missing.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors