cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 2,473

Question

As I understand it, Sleep keeps the RAM powered, so the computer wakes up very quickly.  Hibernate copies the RAM to a spot on the hard drive, and this allows it to wake up over time, but allows for the system to be effectively powered down. 

My question has to do with the function: Hibernate with an SSD cache and Intel Quick Start.  Intel Quick Start is used for Hibernate as well.  Since Sleep uses power, and we have an SSD cache, why isn't the machine defaulted to Hibernate mode instead of Sleep?  I tried Hibernate and it was fast, but the information from this link makes it sound like we need the Rapid Start Manager software installed.

1) My question is would it be better to change all my settings to Hibernate (IE close the lid, after 10 min, etc.) instead of Sleep since it saves battery and basically powers the machine off?

2) Also, can I reduce that partition to 4GB instead of 8.... that's why it's 8 GB according to the PDF (It must be > size of RAM).  

3) Is it bad for the SSD due to some data being written to it each time (but how much? it hibernates about 5 seconds.)

Answer

There are basically 3 low-power states - Sleep,  Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), and Hibernate.

The Intel iRST is a hybrid sleep which is faster than Hibernate, but slower than Sleep.  The computer will automatically enter this state after three hours of sleep.

1.  There is no absolute right answer for this.  Each system user can decide whether it makes more sense in their particular case to Hibernate or Sleep.  Sleep is much faster to resume from, but Hibernate saves battery power. 

2.  Lenovo preloads default to 8GB regardless of configured memory so you can reduce it if you have less memory, but it is probably wise to leave it slightly larger than the amount of physical ram in the system.

3.  Hibernate use should not have an adverse affect on the SSD.

Was this information helpful?