Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EstebanBcn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 209
Message 1 of 9

Software to replicate disks

I'm planing to replace the hard drive in my Lenovo Twist for a SSD drive. I've read somwhere that some replication software doesn't copy all teh partitions so you cannot just mirror the content into a new disks.

Can someone tell me some mirroring software that does it correctly?

Thanks,

Esteban

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 195
Message 2 of 9

Re: Software to replicate disks

Are you really trying to replicate?  Is new disk the same size as the old one?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
EstebanBcn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 187
Message 3 of 9

Actually no. I would be migrating to a larger disk. Then I guess it is not possible and I have to install everything from scratch?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 181
Message 4 of 9

what operating system?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
EstebanBcn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 171
Message 5 of 9

Windows 10. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 168
Message 6 of 9

Hello,

Generally speaking, I always recommend doing a clean install, since Microsoft Windows changes some default settings depending upon whether it is installed to a hard disk drive or SSD at the time of installation, however, some SSD drives (Intel, Samsung, possibly others) come with "toolbox" software that claim to make these changes to an operating system cloned to one of their SSDs from a hard disk drive.

If you want to to perform a disk clone operation, check with the manufacturer of the SSD to see if they provide or reccomend any specific disk-cloning software.  Also, check to see if they have any ThinkPad or even ThinkPad Twist S230u-specific instructions for cloning.  For example, one thing I have noticed is that cloning operations seem to work more often when the original drive is first removed and the new one installed, and the old drive attached via a USB adapter.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Guru
Views: 157
Message 7 of 9

Hi Aryeh

I was wondering about this subject, what should be the formal way to tell the "fresh Windows 10 installation" on the new HDD the Windows license number that your machine used to bundle on the old original HDD? Is there some document about it?

I'm feeling old on saying that back on the days there used to be a Windows sticker with the Windows license number on the machine, but now the times has changed Smiley Happy

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 133
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

Depending upon the age of the ThinkPad, it will either have a Windows Certificate of Authentiticy (COA) sticker on the bottom of the unit or behind the removable battery with the Product ID (PID) Key on it to activate that version of Windows, or if it is a Windows 8 or newer system, the unique PID Key will be embedded in the BIOS/UEFI firmware, which is a technology called OEM Activation 3.0 (OA3.0) by Microsoft. 

To determine if an OA3.0 license is present, open an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issue a "wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey" command.  If it is present, the Window 10 Product ID Key will be reported back at the command line.  This is what the installer will use to determine which edition of Windows 10 to install and activate when you boot from a Windows 10 install disc/USB drive.

If the ThinkPad already has a bootable installation of Windows on it, you can run a program like Belarc Advisor, Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder or Nirsoft Produkey to report the PID Key.  You might actually want to run all three, just in case the results differ from one of the programs for some reason.  Obviously, store that key in a safe location.

If you have a sytem with both an OA3.0 key and an earlier version of Windows installed through downgrade rights like Windows 7 Professional, or if the computer had a Windows 8/8.1/10 Home license and was later upgraded to Windows 8/8.1/10 Professional then things may get a little problematic, and you may need to end up contacting Microsoft in order to get the right edition installed.  This is I why I recommend looking at PID Key first and storing it in a safe location before you do anything to the system.

If you get a "non-genuine" or "Windows isn't activated" message you may need to contact Microsoft if re-entering your PID Key does not work.  To get the local phone number for Windows Activation, open an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issue a "slui 04" command (that's the number "0" and not the letter "O").  This will open the Software Licensing wizard on the page to select your country in order to get the local phone number for Microsoft.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
Guru
Views: 118
Message 9 of 9

Thank you very much for your reply Aryeh. It help me understand how the Windows license it is working today.

I just run the command and I saw my key. ... so the license is on the BIOS/UEFI firmware now, for a moment I'm feeling so old Smiley Happy

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors