Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ADOworks
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 1 of 4

Spontaneous Tablet Mode w/ lenovo thinkpad s1 yoga

I currently use a Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga, and have recently upgraded the 64-bit OS from Windows 8.1 to 10.
Since then I have been experiencing issues where ‘Tablet Mode’ will activate suddenly and randomly while I am using my ultrabook in laptop mode. This is especially frustrating because it often occurs while I am using the keyboard which will then be disabled, and cannot be re-enabled. I have attempted to turn on/off the various Tablet Mode settings – “Make Windows more touch-friendly…”, “When I sign in...”, “When this device automatically…”, “Hide app icons…”, but no pair of settings seemed to work. 
In the end, I am forced to reboot, which is the only solution that resolves the matter. 

What steps can I take to resolve this matter once and for all without having to restart the system constantly?

Guru
Views: 604
Message 2 of 4

Re: Spontaneous Tablet Mode w/ lenovo thinkpad s1 yoga

Hi

In my case I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14 and it took me some time to stabilize Windows 10 on it. I went updating the driver over time until it get stable.

I also have some settings similar to you, but mine (for example)  sometimes switches to tablet mode when I close the lid, but when I open it Windows change very fast to laptop mode, so it does not bother me.

2016-03-24 21_12_00-Start.png

I can suggest you to try to update your drivers, here are some of my tips to update the drivers on a Thinkpad when going to Windows 10.

These are some of my tips to update the drivers of your Thinkpad:

1) Try first Windows Update and update all the drivers and Patches

2) Try Lenovo System Update to get any new/missing drivers.

3) Try to install Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Companion from the Windows App Store, Lenovo Companion also has a "update driver search"

4) Sometimes all that software does not recognize some updated / missing driver. Check Lenovo's Support Site and search for your specific model drivers (use the full model number of your Thinkpad).

If you have more experience installing and uninstalling driver, there are some other things you can do, but those options os AS IS outside Lenovo's suggestion.

1) There is DriverEasy that offers a decent for free scanning of your device and shows you which drivers can be updated from their database.

2) According to your machine devices you have the Intel Driver Update Utility and the AMD Driver Update Utility, sometimes it can help you to recognize a newer driver.

Good Luck.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Highlighted
bboyes
Blue Screen Again
Views: 338
Message 3 of 4

This problem has been haunting me for perhaps two years. None of the Windows settings helped. Finally I thought it might be a BIOS issue. In my system, movemement of the system or the screen tilt would randomly cause Windows to ask if I want to switch to Tablet Mode. Even if I clicked on "No", it still would change to Tablet mode, and lock out all use of keyboard. Even clicking the Notifications area Tablet Mode tile back off to *not* be in tablet mode would not bring the keyboard back. The only work-around I found was closing the lid (causing sleep) and then reopening it (I have the option to always wake up in notebook mode). Sometimes I would have to do that several times in an hour. Maddening! 

Finallty, yesterday I checked for a BIOS update and found I was several versions behind the current 1.39/1.30 (depending on Yoga S1 BIOS version).  I got the BIOS update here at Lenovo Support. Installation went smoothly. Afterwards I could manually switch back and forth to and from Tablet mode and now the keyboard STILL works in Tablet mode as long as the screen is still in a notebook position. That never worked before. Just moments ago I got the dreaded "do you want to switch to tablet mode" message and clicking 'No' actually prevented the switch! Woohoo. 

That has really been my only gripe about this Yoga S1 system. So now it is back to working 100%. I hope this helps someone else who has this issue. This may also explain why some people online have been able to use other solutions: their BIOS may be newer than mine was.

bboyes
Blue Screen Again
Views: 336
Message 4 of 4

One more thought (I can't edit my post): kudos for Lenovo for continuing to post BIOS updates and online service manuals. On the other hand it surprises me that none of the Lenovo or Microsoft forums suggested a BIOS update. Even this BIOS changelog doesn't list this specific issue as being included in the BIOS update. I'm just grateful there was a fix, finally.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors