Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xera
Punch Card
Views: 13,200
Message 1 of 118

Switch ThinkPad Yoga Clickpad with new TrackPad

Hi everyone

The new ThinkPad Yoga 12 seems to have the same dimensions as the original ThinkPad Yoga. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the new TrackPad with the buttons from the TPY 12 in the old model? Or will there be hardware/driver problems?
I'm sure many have the same question for their machines, for example the T440, how about those?

Thanks!

xera
Punch Card
Views: 13,122
Message 2 of 118

Betreff: Switch ThinkPad Yoga Clickpad with new TrackPad

If no one here knows, where can I ask this question instead? Is there a support for techincal questions like this one?

Guru
Views: 13,098
Message 3 of 118

Normally I'd compare the diagrams in the Hardware Maintenance Manual to see if there's anything obvious stopping it from being compatible physically, but the naming of the Yoga lines makes this next to impossible.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
oliverpool
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,043
Message 4 of 118

I hope someone can check and confirm if this is at all possible! I really hope that it is possible!
brillat
Serial Port
Views: 13,031
Message 5 of 118

REAL BUTTONS ARE AWESOME... but probably need a new PC

Whoa!  I totally missed something here... are you saying that the new Yoga brought the buttons back!  I can't believe I missed that.  THANK YOU, LENOVO!!!!  This is awesome.

However... to the question of replacing the clickpad.... the only way you're going to find out is to do it - Lenovo will never publish an "upgrade guide" for that kind of retrofit. However, beware - the current S1 HMM lists the keyboard as INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to replace.  Because of the "yoga" mechanism and the lifting keyboard thing, the keyboard is tied in to everything.  I was thinking of doing it because I had some broken keys.  But I ended up gluing them back together with glue and putty because it was easier.  Seriously, you have to take out the system board.

Also, I can't find a part number for the "keyboard bezel assembly" listed here, which is the part that contains the trackpad:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd029828

xera
Punch Card
Views: 13,018
Message 6 of 118

Betreff: REAL BUTTONS ARE AWESOME... but probably need a new PC

The new buttons are on the TrackPad, seperate from the keyboard. It seems to be right under the battery.

Here's a video: http://lenovoservicetraining.com/content/CourseWarePublic/21761/player.html

Navigate to FRU videos > FRU Service: TrackPad

It looks easy to do, I just hope the new TrackPad is compatible.

brillat
Serial Port
Views: 13,007
Message 7 of 118

Interesting, the mouse buttons have always been included in the keyboard.  I suppose that's a side effect of the clickpad.  The real question as to whether it would work is getting the synaptics drivers to recognize it.

Interestingly, I can't find an HMM or FRU listing for the new Yoga 12.  Do you have an FRU number for the new trackpad with buttons?

oliverpool
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,992
Message 8 of 118

Good news. I have having my keyboard and clickpad replaced on site tomorrow.  I should be able to see how it is done! 

As I understand it, for this model, the keyboard and clickpad are two seperate items.  The clickpad comes with the whole bezel.  So I hope replacing just the clickpad would not require the removal of the keyboard. That would make it much easier.  

How and where can you purchase thinkpad spare parts anyway? Like say the new clickpad with seperate buttons for the trackpoint :-p

thinkpadfreak
Token Ring
Views: 12,952
Message 9 of 118

Re: Switch ThinkPad Yoga Clickpad with new TrackPad

i am really interested in knowing this too. i've hated the clickpad on my yoga. if it could be upgraded, that will be great!

oliverpool
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,938
Message 10 of 118

Re: Switch ThinkPad Yoga Clickpad with new TrackPad

The technician just completed the replacement of my keyboard and clickpad.  It took him around an hour. After looking at the whole process, I would say that I would not be confident of doing it myself without damaging any of the cables and connections etc.  Some of the connectors are really small and does not even have proper grooves to hold or help pull out.  And if you forget to disconnect anyof the connectors, you are liable to break or bend some of the really small cables and who knows?  Its like a major transplant with like 40 screws? to remove etc. You have to shift parts from the old thinkpad to the new ones. Some are just connecting cables that are double sided taped.  Many of the cables are routed via cable holders so extreme care has to be taken to move them properly before you take out the components one by one. 

The good thing is that the keyboard bezel (not actual keyboard) and clickpad is one piece. That is the only piece that has to be replaced if the new yoga model uses the same dimensions and connectors.  Since its the whole bezel with the physical clickpad, I would assume it is not going to be cheap to purchase. Hopefully the clickpad drivers are similar or just replacing it with the new ones will work.  Until someone tries though.....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors