Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swwils
Serial Port
Views: 3,626
Message 1 of 62

THINKPAD YOGA DANGEROUS CHARGING FAULT

Hello,

My brand new i7 8gig ssd tpy has suffered from an charging fault. DO NOT charge an additional device (phone) from the tpy. Mine went into a thermal runaway and luckly I caught it.

I had put the laptop to sleep and on charge with my phone into a USB. The laptop got extreamly hot very quickly and no cooling or shut off activated. I would hate to see what happens if left unattended.

My yoga now will not boot and is stuck in "sleep mode" also.

Former Administrator
Views: 3,603
Message 2 of 62

Re: THINKPAD YOGA DANGEROUS CHARGING FAULT

swwils,

Sorry to hear about this!   First and foremost, I recommend you contact service and have the system checked out and repaired before using it again.

Could you also tell us a bit more about the configuration?     What phone did you plug in, and what is the specifified input power required for charging that phone?  (You could look at the output power rating of the adapter that came with the phone).

Which USB port did you plug the phone into?

How much charge did the ThinkPad battery have when you put it to sleep? (Suspend)  Also, please confirm you put it in suspend / sleep vs hibernation?

Thanks!

Mark

Swwils
Serial Port
Views: 3,596
Message 3 of 62

I'm glad someone is sorry!

I have contacted support ( I was due a call from them anyway) - the machine will be hopefully getting replaced rather than repaired as a DOA.

Its a 20CD0001UK top spec machine. A Nexus 4 was plugged in and is fine. The phone can charged on a USB or AC level of draw. When the machine was on it charged via USB. When in sleep and on AC power the phone got AC charge.

The phone was plugged into the port side USB next to the AC port. The battery had been charging before I put the unit to sleep from 30% it was in lid closed sleep.

Interestingly the unit now is still generating heat and is stuck in sleep mode and I cannot force it off. The mute LED is still on and the thinkpad logo pulses as of in sleep. The heat is all central over the battery and controller, not to the left over the CPU.
Swwils
Serial Port
Views: 3,586
Message 4 of 62

Very lucky this was on a laminated flat wood surface. I don't think a sofa would of faired as well.

Swwils
Serial Port
Views: 3,518
Message 5 of 62

Just as an update on this. I placed the laptop on a convenient giant stone slate I have in my house to act as a heatsink. Eventually the laptop drained its battery through this thermal output ( the slate got very hot ) and was then able to be booted as battery death got it out of sleep mode. ( why is the power button on the yoga a software switch?!?! )

I'm able to replicate this at will on my machine by plugging any device ( ive tried a HDD, mouse and 3 phones ) into the left powered USB slot when the machine is charging lid closed (sleep or off). My friend with his yoga also confirmed the same behaviour on his ( machine heating when device connected).

The BIOS option to disable the USB makes no difference. So be warned!

WorkingBee
What's DOS?
Views: 3,486
Message 6 of 62

Could you tell us your BIOS/EC version?

How to check the version

1. press F1 when power on the unit

2. in main tap

3. check UEFI BIOS version & Embedded Controller Version

Swwils
Serial Port
Views: 3,465
Message 7 of 62

BIOS and embedded are GQET28WW (1.08) which afaik are the latest.

Former Administrator
Views: 3,435
Message 8 of 62

Swwils,

I appreciate your additional updates.    Please see my private message.

Thanks!

Mark

think_au
Punch Card
Views: 3,311
Message 9 of 62

Given the implications of this issue, can I confirm whether there is anything Thinkpad Yoga owners need to do or avoid? Does this affect all TPYs?

Former Administrator
Views: 3,268
Message 10 of 62

Re: THINKPAD YOGA charging issue

think_au,

Honestly, we take these kinds of reports seriously, but given the response here in the forum, this appears to be isolated at this point.  

Thanks

Mark

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors