Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emcgee090
Fanfold Paper
Views: 939
Message 1 of 13

THINKPAD YOGA S1 CAPS ISSUE

I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR SHOUTING. STARTING ON NOVEMBER 8TH, MY ThinkPad YOGA S1 HAS BEEN HAVING A CRAZY CAPS ISSUE. Caps lock has a mind of it's own. It's oftEN TRiggered by a T followed by an R... but not always. I CAN'T CONTRol it at all. Shift does tend to work (mostly, not always) to MAKE A LETTER BIG OR SMALL.

I AM POSITIVE THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE SINCE THE ON SCREEN KEYBOARD BEHAVES THE SAME AND SO DOES A SEPARATE USB KEYBOARD. 

I have reinstalled keyboard drivers and run all windows and system (lenovo) updates.

The issue persists in safe mode. 

sometimes the computer beeps when i type, but it is not consistent. 

I'M RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS HERe. THe next step i'm going to trY IS REINSTALLING WINDOWS (ugh). 

I APpreciate anyone's help! thank you

nPrevail
What's DOS?
Views: 793
Message 2 of 13

Re: THINKPAD YOGA S1 CAPS ISSUE

The same thing just happened to me right now, and so far you're the only other person with this issue, besides me. I'm trying to figure it out at well... Perhaps has something to do with some recent updates?

DraganBurza
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

I am having the same issue. It started happening on my Yoga S1 couple weeks ago. The caps lock stays on and I have issue signing into the windows as my password letters are not all in caps. So I have to reebot (several times) or keep pressing caps lock till it gets turned off.  

Did you guys manage to fix it??

Thanks and Regards, Dragan

p88l
Fanfold Paper
Views: 246
Message 4 of 13

It might be enabled and "stuck" on the on-screen keyboard.

For some reason sometimes this happens. Not sure if it is Thinkpad or Windows related.

To fix:

goto tablet mode (or show on-screen keyboard, you can alter the task bar it is always shown as option) and turn it off there.

DraganBurza
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for your reply p88l.

That is how I get around to log in. By bringing up tablet mode keyboard and changing caps.

The issue now is that I have issues typing in microsoft word in laptop mode . I can use keyboard, but it has mind of its own. It is typing in Capital leters on and off. So frustrating.  So I switch to tablet mode and type on touch screen (very slow) or I attach external keyboard and it works OK.

If you have any more ideas, please share.

Thanks and regards, Dragan

p88l
Fanfold Paper
Views: 220
Message 6 of 13

I've heard multiple solutions.

It could be the keyboard circuit board is broken. If this is the case, only replacing the keyboard will help.

For some people it helps to physically reconnect the keyboard.

This means opening the laptop case, disconnecting the ribbon cable, clean everything, reconnect and close the case. Maybe it is also wise to disconnect the battery before working on the keyboard cable.

What also could be is the CapsLock key has accumulated dust because it is (almost?) never used. So it triggers / stays pressed physically, without being pressed. So then the solution might be very easy. 

Buy a can of compressed air e.g. HG https://eng-nl.hg.eu/products/appliances/hg-compressed-air-cleaner, but others will do as well.

Blow air in all the caveties of the CapsLock key.

For me this now seems to have solved the issue,  but is has been only 30 minutes since I've tried.

I will get you updated about the status, both if it keeps working and not.

NB What won't work is disabling the CapsLock key in the Windows Registry. The result of the automatic triggering of the key will not be felt, keys stay lower case, but if it is 'pressed', it blocks the roll-over of the keyboard, so you can't press multiple keys at once anymore.

Also because the clickpad has palm detect during typing, the clickpad stops working when caps lock is 'pressed'. Also the left-shift + 2 did nothing instead of @ (US-layout, also no ", also not after pressing space (US-international)) Strange enough right shift + 2 did produce a @. So don't bother to try this. I did. Didn't work out well.

DraganBurza
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 7 of 13

Thanks p88l for taking time to give us your thoughts/tryouts/solutions...

It might be time to replace the laptop as it is coming to almost 5 year of life... And my Thinkpad yoga is of that generation that has ghosting issue... It just was never that big as others experienced.

I could not believe at the time that Lenovo will sell product with that screen issue. Very disapointed as it was supposed to be the one of the strongest, sturdiest laptops. Thinkpad was always known for that.

Probably stay away from thinkpad in future...

Regards, Dragan

p88l
Fanfold Paper
Views: 205
Message 8 of 13

I just bought one 3rd hand. It is about 6 years old. It has the severe ghosting, all 12.5" FHD LG screens from that period have it. I knew that and saw it before I bought it.

Strange enough I wanted the older model, because it is more built like a tank than newer ones. The keyboard was also working fine and maybe due to transport / use after being unused for some time, developed the caps problem very quickly it got worse (within the past few days).

Compressed air only costs a few dollars / euros and is widely available, I'd strongly suggest to try it if you didn't do so before. There is no need to take apart the laptop / keyboard.

I used the laptop all night and didn't experience the caps issue.

And if that works you can still sell it, with the ghosting (you should tell this IMHO) but at least with working keyboard.

DraganBurza
Paper Tape
Views: 199
Message 9 of 13

Thanks,

I ll give it a go. A friend has a compressor, so I might do that.

Regards, Dragan

p88l
Fanfold Paper
Views: 194
Message 10 of 13

Not sure if that's a good idea.

Too much pressure might damage things

Just don't put 8 bars on it... Smiley Wink

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors