Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 781
Message 1 of 12

TPY 14 - Intel Graphics Display Driver issue

Hello, community.

My model is a 20DM000VUS, that's the one with the Intel HD 4400 and the Nvidia GeForce 840m.

The display is driven by the Intel HD 4400, and I am not having any problem with that.

The issue is that sometimes when I start a program using the Intel HD graphics card it either stutters a lot, freezes or stop completely. The mouse and stuff still works and I can close the program. Here is the message I recieve.

Untitled.png

I get it everytime I start a call in Skype, or run something a bit demanding...

I never got this message in Windows 8, probably because it was the right driver, but I don't recall updating any Intel graphics drivers after I got to W10. The strange part, is that Intel Driver Update Utility tells me that installing their software update for this GPU won't work becuase I have a custom driver from Lenovo. Is that correct?

Any ideas? Heard of any updates anywhere?

Thanks in advance

Have a good day.
Guru
Views: 769
Message 2 of 12

Re: TPY 14 - Intel Graphics Display Driver issue

Hi

My TPY 14 uses Intel HD 5500 and GeFroce 940M. But I install the Intel driver updates without any issues.

Maybe you can try something like getting the "Intel Display Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad Yoga 14 (Type 20DM, 20DN) - 2/9/2015 - 10.18..."  as a backup. Uninstall the Intel display driver and install the ones from Intel to see if it fixes your issue. 

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 765
Message 3 of 12

@martiniturbide Are you sure? The README file says that this driver is for the Intel HD 5500 while mine is an Intel HD 4400...

Have a good day.
Guru
Views: 759
Message 4 of 12

Hi

I'm not sure,  but that is the driver that shows up while searching your model support site:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-yoga-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Check it out, maybe I'm wrong.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 756
Message 5 of 12

You're right it is. I have to make a backup of this current driver first then.
Have a good day.
Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 642
Message 6 of 12

@martiniturbide hello, and sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just an update from the Intel Communites and they recommend I should try this but contradictory to this, as I mentioned earlier, their own Driver Update Utlity says I shouldn't use Intel's drivers. Any heads up on this? Do you know anyway I can contact someone from Lenovo about this becuase I have no idea how to.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Have a good day.
Guru
Views: 623
Message 7 of 12

Hi Ramthecowy

Do you still have an issue with the video driver? It seems that the 4th gen is the right for the Intel HD 4400. On my case I have the 5500 and if check on Intel there is other driver. Check out this table: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-graphics-developers-guides

I will give it a try to see if it install on my machine just in case, maybe it will not allow it. I have this driver version installed right now: 10.18.15.4281.

I'm not sure which should be the official way to contact Lenovo about this. I think that they will reply to try the driver on the site, and if it gives a problems they will check your computer, instead of trying first on getting the latest driver from Intel.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 614
Message 8 of 12

Yep, it didn't go away.

That I am okay with, and the link to the driver I shared from Intel is the latest as well.

Apparently there is a way to force install.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

I got the same driver as you except 15.4248

Well, to quote Intel on this: "Intel supplies generic versions of its graphics drivers for general purposes. But, the computer manufacturer can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities, Intel recommends that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software they provide."

And the nice lady who helped me also said the same: "The driver that you have currently installed is from your computer manufacturer, this driver is customized made to work with all the features on your computer. Our driver is a generic version... but before doing that I would strongly recommend to contact Lenovo, even though you already contact them, in order to obtain more feedback in regard to his matter."

I'm a little hesitant to just install it just like that, becuase if it doesn't work then the display is screwed and I won't be able to restore to an earlier driver.

Have you got any update to it on your PC?

edit: trying to update through device manager, it says there is something available and starts downloading.

Let's see.

Have a good day.
Guru
Views: 595
Message 9 of 12

Hi

No, the Intel installer does not allows me to install the drivers. I will check the link to find any tricks.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton

Ramthecowy
Token Ring
Views: 482
Message 10 of 12

Welp, no matter what I do, this issue doesn't seem to want to resolve itself. Intel tells me there is an generic update for the driver, but it won't let me download or install it because Lenovo has put a customised driver themselves. I have no luck in trying to use any other way to update it (Device Manager, Windows Update...)
I will go talk to Intel Community again, and also try to get in contact with Lenovo Support. Do you have any ideas/updates?
Have a good day.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors