Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-24-2017

United States of America

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad S1 Yoga - Freezes When Connecting to Screen

2017-01-24, 5:43 AM

I started facing this issue a month or two ago - When I try to connecting to a device (TV, Projector) with a MS Display Adapter, my laptop freezes. I dont recieve any error messages and I have to hold down the power and do a 'hard boot'.  After this hard/reboot, I can connect to the wireless display.  This happens everytime and with different Wireless Display Adapters.

I need to present in meetings a handful times each week and right now the only solution I have is to connect, have it freeze, do a hard boot, then it will usually connect normally. However, if I try to disconnect and connect again, I will face the same issues of a total freeze.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or what could be causing this?

Options

11 Posts

10-03-2012

Australia

20 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad S1 Yoga - Freezes When Connecting to Screen

2017-02-15, 23:22 PM

Hi, we have a small fleet of Thinkpad Yoga's (the first model) which is also having the exact same problem.  We restored a Windows 8 factory image to one and everything worked perfectly, but when we image the machine with our Windows 10 image (via SCCM) we experience the behaviour you have outlined here.

We have tried it with and without the Lenovo SCCM driver package - same result.  Very frustrating for the 17 teachers we have trying to connect to wireless display adapters in classrooms after their machines have been in standby (which is basically between every lesson).  If the machines are freshly booted, no standby, they connect and function normally.

Options

11 Posts

10-03-2012

Australia

20 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2017-02-16, 0:00 AM
Forgot to add, have also updated drivers through the System Update Utility, issue remains. Have also applied drivers directly from Intel website, issue remains.

kkaur81, you didn't state what OS you are running but I suspect something is very broken with running Windows 10 on these systems and there's something weird about how Lenovo implement their power management customisations.

Other machines in a our fleet (various Acer models) have no issues and they're running the exact same image.
Options

11 Posts

10-03-2012

Australia

20 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2017-02-16, 23:15 PM

One of our techs found the solution to this problem, likewise the info below should also resolve any freezing/lockup when resuming from sleep and also wireless being disabled when resuming from sleep.

Basically, these steps should solve any problems with post resuming from sleep (assuming you are running Windows 10, same advice could be followed for Windows 8 just ensure you use the Windows 8 driver variants);

NOTE: The install order can also be important, we install display, wireless, bluetooth drivers in that order.

Freezing when connecting to Wireless Display after resuming from sleep (Intel 4th Gen)...

Freezing/black screen when resuming from sleep (All Gen)...

• Open Device Manager
  • Navigate to System Devices
  • Right-click Intel Management Engine Interface and select Properties
  • On the Power Management tab remove the tick from "All the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  • Machine should now resume from sleep

Fix wireless not resuming from sleep (All Gen)

Download and install the latest PROSet drivers - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26528/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?wapkw=18.33.5.1

• Open Device Manager
  • Navigate to Network Adapters
  • Right-click <your wireless adapter> and select Properties
  • Confirm your driver version on the Driver tab, at time of writing it should be 18.33.5.1
  • On the Power Management tab remove the tick from "All the computer to turn off this device to save power"

That should cover everything I think!  Would love to hear some feedback if it does/doesn't help you...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms