cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jatsunltd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 723
Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad Yoga 12 2nd Gen - TrackPad and TrackPoint not recognized and not working

Hi, I have a ThinkPad Yoga 12 2nd gen with these specs:

-Processor: Intel core i5-5300U

-Ram: 8GB

-Hard Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD (installed by myself) and SanDisk 16GB PCIe M.2

-Screen: Full HD 10 point multi-touch with Wacom digitizer

-BIOS: JEET78WW (1.27)

The trackpad and trackpoint on this laptop has stopped working the second time and with that, the CPU fan has halted as well, with the backlit function of the keyboard non-working as well. The fan is really important because my heavy-duty use of this machine makes it really hot real quick. My laptop is pretty much useless without it and want a solution for it. I did try to update my BIOS for this because on some forums, this was an issue fixed by updating their BIOS.

The system does not recognize the Synaptics trackpad and trackpoint (yes the TRACKPOINT is not working as well) and I have tried downloading the drivers of the trackpad, but to no luck the system did not recognize the trackpad. It seems as if there is a faulty connection physically, but I could not figure it out. The first time it happened, I sent it back for an in Depot Service, but this time around, I am out of warranty and when I asked a ThinkPad Certified Technician, he recommended me to simply buy a new machine rather than getting it serviced because it would cost me more than half as much of the original price of my laptop.

I really like this laptop and don't want to change it, but if I have to, the 8th generation Intel processors are around the corner and will wait for them to be released on the new ThinkPad's, until then I want a solution for this laptop. This laptop will not be replaced but will become my secondary device and I will continue to use it to its fullest. I am not afraid to go under the hood of this laptop and go through the system to fix any problems that may exist on the hardware, so please, if anybody can help me out over here with my problem.

Thanks,

-Jatin

fennek94
What's DOS?
Views: 603
Message 2 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12 2nd Gen - TrackPad and TrackPoint not recognized and not working

I have the same problem
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 503
Message 3 of 4

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12 2nd Gen - TrackPad and TrackPoint not recognized and not working

@jatsunltd wrote:

The trackpad and trackpoint on this laptop has stopped working the second time and with that, the CPU fan has halted as well, with the backlit function of the keyboard non-working as well.

Mine started losing the trackpad around the same time Win10 Fall Creators Update was installed. All trackpoint and trackpad related functions stop working. I haven't seen the other problems, but I'll keep an eye out for those. For me a reboot returns things to normal, so if it's a hardware issue, at least it's intermittent. 

My impression (for my system) is that the pointing device isn't detected on wake from sleep. I have not yet have it stop working while using it. It's just missing when I return to my laptop. I hope it's just a driver/Win10 issue that will be fixed soon.

jatsunltd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 300
Message 4 of 4

Apparently, I figured it was the motherboard that was giving the problem and yes indeed it was the motherboard who was the culprit all along. After changing the motherboard, my laptop has developed 3 other new problems. The camera and the stylus pen are not recognized at all by the laptop and it has developed a habit of high latency when performing functions. I upgraded the motherboard from the original i5 processor to the i7 processor (since the processor is soldered) and figured out that nothing else needed to be changed, even the driver's natively supported the processor. So, after that upgrade, I have been noticing much more lag in the computer and takes forever to run even the simplest of the programs like Word and PowerPoint. It really pisses me off because my 7 year old desktop with almost equivalent performance performs much more faster and smoother. I have tried installing driver's for both the webcam and the stylus but no success.

The webcam, I can live without, but I seriously need the stylus and the power really needs to be optimised and the laptop needs to run faster. I buy a product to future proof myself from upgrading for at least 5 years and I am not expecting much out of a machine. I do my university work on it and that's it, not even games preinstalled are ever run on this. I need this problem fixed as well ASAP. If there is anyone who can help me out in the community or the expert technicians, that'd be great. Thanks.

-Jatin

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors