Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,462
Message 1 of 8

ThinkPad Yoga 12 BSOD since 2018: "Attempted switch from dpc"

Since installing Windows Updates on Jan 2, 2018 my TPYoga 12 has been giving BSOD's when waking from sleep. The message is "Attempted switch from dpc". It happens at least once a day now. Sometimes the next boot is successful, and sometimes it happens a second time after the system tries to reboot which then shows a diagnostic screen. Choosing to boot as normal from that diagnostic screen then does boot successfully. This is on a system running Win10 Pro V1709 build 16299.192. 

I have seen one other user with a TPY12 report this recently (see post in german).

Looking at many posts regarding this specific message over the years it seems to be related to a driver issue. Given the rather intense troubleshooting instructions for issues like these I'm hoping someone here has found a fix. 

Below a screencap of my deteriorated system reliability.

TPY12 trouble.jpg

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,457
Message 2 of 8

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12 BSOD since 2018: "Attempted switch from dpc"

Some more searching led me to this post stating that it's related to the Synaptics touchpad driver. Windows did install four Synaptics items the day before things went bad. I have uninstalled the touchpad driver in Device Manager, re-downloaded the driver package from Lenovo's driver page, and installed it. Let's hope this fixes it, and let's hope Windows doesn't "update" the driver again. 

For the record, here are the updates that ran right before the problem appeared: 

driver updates.jpg

54Paul
What's DOS?
Views: 2,402
Message 3 of 8

I too have been having similar problems over the last week or so. When switching from laptop to tablet mode - or vice versa - my Thinkpad Yoga 12 is sometimes crashing with either "WDF_Violation" or "Attempted switch from dpc" error message. Has your fix worked: if so did you uninstall all four of these updates from 14th December?
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,373
Message 4 of 8

@54Paul wrote:
I too have been having similar problems over the last week or so. When switching from laptop to tablet mode - or vice versa - my Thinkpad Yoga 12 is sometimes crashing with either "WDF_Violation" or "Attempted switch from dpc" error message. Has your fix worked: if so did you uninstall all four of these updates from 14th December?

It seems to have worked, I haven't seen a BSOD since then. I didn't roll back any updates. I went to the device manager > Mice and other pointing devices, and uninstalled the 'Synaptics pointing device', and checked the box 'delete driver files' or so, and rebooted. I downloaded the latest Synaptics driver from the page that I linked to (filename jeg210ww) and installed that. So far so good. 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 2,257
Message 5 of 8

Looks like the issue is really solved. No more crashes since reinstalling the Synaptics driver. Still not great that this spate of BSODs seems to have been caused by a Windows Update, but at least I'm up and running again. 

reliability.jpg

4am
What's DOS?
Views: 2,067
Message 6 of 8

Same by me, thanks for solution, hop it works.

tomhyzy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,778
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for posting this, I've been having this exact issue for the past several weeks. I just put my TPY12 to sleep and re-opened it, without getting a BSOD, so I think this is the answer. Thanks for taking the time to run it to ground.
amzh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,441
Message 8 of 8

I've been waiting for over a month for an update from lenovo, but nothing came. bsod at every sleep or tablet switch, how is this issue not beeing adressed?

thanks for your post, was able to fix it by rolling back the synaptics driver. But cmon, lenovo.. 

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors