cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex-1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,137
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad Yoga 12 - Ghost clicks when lid closed and connected to Ultra Dock USB 3.0 docking station

OK so I have a number of problems with the fifteen or so ThinkPad Yoga 12 devices we have purchased. Some of these problems are being addressed in other threads (the black screen on start up which requires you swipe the screen in Windows 10 release 2 being one of them), but I'll just start with one problem for now to keep things clear.

On my desk I have a ThinkPad Yoga 12. I have a ThinkPad UltraDock Pro USB 3.0 docking station, the newest revision. Connected are an external mouse and keyboard, a LAN cable, and 2 external monitors. The Yoga 12 is connected via the USB 3 cable, and the lid is closed. Both screens are up, LAN and input devices working, everything seems good.

Every so often, the mouse cursor will magically jump to the bottom-right of the left external monitor and a left-click event is registered causing the Windows calendar to pop up. Happens maybe twice an hour.

All devices are running clean Windows 10 1511 builds, fully patched. Also running ThinkPad System Update to get all latest drivers and latest BIOS revision. Latest DisplayLink driver is applied. Problem persists across all devices.

How do we stop the ghost clicks from happening? The issue is driving my users crazy. The docking station specifically listed compatability with the Yoga 12 model so I don't see why there should be a problem. I've heard reports the situation is improved if the lid of the Yoga 12 is left open, but we lose deskspace this way and my users tell me this isn't a solution at all.

Thanks,

Alex

Guru
Views: 1,112
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12 - Ghost clicks when lid closed and connected to Ultra Dock USB 3.0 docking stat

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you please post the full model number of you computer?

Just some guessing.

Guess 1: I noticed there was some other discussion about "Ghost Clicks" on this forums. Can you check if those clicks are made by the touch screen? Does it shows the Windows animation like someone is touching the screen?

Just in case can you post your full model number and the hardwareID of your monitor.

Also take a look at this article: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-3-1470/documents/ht1...

Guess 2: There was a driver update for Synaptics that shuts down the trackpoint when you close the lid. Can you check if your computer has a Synaptics trackpoint/touchpad. Check out the version of the driver.

...this are only wild guesses according to what I had read on this forums. But if you tell me that you don't have those problems if you disconnect the Ultradock Pro USB 3.0, maybe the issue is somewhere else.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

fxnetsky
Punch Card
Views: 1,107
Message 3 of 7

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12 - Ghost clicks when lid closed and connected to Ultra Dock USB 3.0 docking stat

I have the same problem, but not with the Yoga 12's - not yet anyway.

Our older model Yoga's 20CO do the exact same thing. 

I've seen it do what you describe, but also: 

From the desktop, I've seen it open, close and maximize windows. 

From within a Word document, while typing the cursor will suddenly jump to the menu bar. It becomes impossible to type anything.

And the ghost clicks are constant. Once they start, they don't stop or take a break. 

I've sent it for repairs but the people at Lenovo don't seem to believe me when I tell them what's happening. 

Their usual fix is to replace the touchpad or scan for viruses. Neither of which solves the problem. 

It is so weird but it does happen and ours aren't connected to a docking station or anything else. 

Occasionally I'll connect a wired mouse when I seem to lose control over the cursor altogether. 

I think it has something to do with the Touch/Pen function. 

In device manager on the yoga with the problems typing in Word,  I noticed in Device Manager under Human Interface Device - The first 3 HID-compliant devices and the #8 HID-compliant device - all have yellow exclamation points and the Device Manager keeps flashing off and on. I tried updating these 4 but Windows said the most up to date driver is installed. I was able to disable them, and that solves the problem with the cursor moving by itself, but in doing so it also disables the touch screen and the pen touch.

I have tried replacing the system board, updating the chipset and the BIOS. I have swapped out the hard drive. The problem only happens with the specific machine. I put in a brand new hard drive, imaged it and still got the same - it has nothing to do with anything on our image. 

I'm completely at a loss to explain it or fix it, but yours was the first post I've found anywhere that even mentions this problem so I thought I'd let you know what I've found so far. 

I'll keep watching to see if anybody comes up with any solutions. 

Also, I agree about the Yoga 12's. They are complete Lemons. They're bad right out of the box. Lenovo really should recall them. I'm spending more time fixing these brand new computers than I do on 5-year-old x220's.

fxnetsky
Punch Card
Views: 1,042
Message 4 of 7

I got this from our local computer repair center:

"As far as the ghost cursor, Lenovo has admitted to there being a manufacturer defect for some Yoga 12 models that were sold prior to October, 2015. The issue is with the system board fuse, some boards were built with a 1A fuse instead of 2A fuse. The new system boards that are in stock with Lenovo should have the corrected system board with the correct fuse. Anytime, you have a machine with a floating or dead cursor issue, the first thing you should replace is the system board."

Hope this helps. 

Alex-1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 985
Message 5 of 7

Well I opened a support ticket a while ago. Gave Lenovo a list of serial number of all our affected devices. Agreed on the phone the first step to a resolution would be to have an engineer come out and swap the motherboard on my Yoga 12. I would then test and see if the problem goes away with a new board from the latest batch. If successful, I could have the others replaced. This way I'm not going to disrupt my users for no reason. Well Lenovo have now changed their mind it seems and have asked me to ship 2 of our Yoga 12's back to them for more testing. No way, I'm not sending them production laptops full of company data. What will my users use in the meantime? Disappointing service, I'm having to fight for the resolution we originally agreed upon. Responses take days to come back. And this is meant to be ThinkPad business support, we paid for next-day on-site service and I reported this issue weeks ago. Less than impressed with Lenovo. My first time working in a Lenovo house. Having worked for years in businesses using Dell and HP equipment, it's clear to me that Lenovo are the worst when it comes to support having tried them all now. Will be recommending colleagues buy Dell for sure at this point.
jpoblocki
Fanfold Paper
Views: 726
Message 6 of 7

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem with a bunch of Yoga 12 connected to the OneLink Pro Dock.

fxnetsky
Punch Card
Views: 721
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your response.

We've seen a lot of these issues and when we send them in to Lenovo for service they replace the LCD display and that seems to fix it.

We've seen this with both the Yoga (20C0-S1GH00) and Yoga 12 (20DK-S1NY00).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors