Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maxen
Paper Tape
Views: 880
Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad Yoga 12: Troubles with Management Engine Firmware Update

Hello everyone,

Lenovo System Update keep asking me to install version 10.0.56.3002 of Intel Management Engine Firmware on my ThinkPad Yoga 12 (Type 20DK) running Windows 10 Pro x64. Once I install the update, a cmd window pops up for a fraction of a second, then my PC restarts. However, the installation seems to fail as System Update keeps asking me to install the update again after the reboot. I understand that this update is security critical and therefore want to resolve the installation error.

I've done a little debugging by running MEInfoWin.exe and FWUpdLcl64.exe in C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME:

• The update seems to fail indeed, as MEInfoWin.exe still reports my FW Version as 10.0.55.3000.
  • When I try to manually run the upgrade, I get an error:
    C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME>FWUpdLcl64.exe -f ME10.0_5M_Production.bin

Intel (R) Firmware Update Utility Version: 10.0.56.3002
    Copyright (C) 2007 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Communication Mode: MEI
    Checking firmware parameters...

Warning: Do not exit the process or power off the machine before the firmware update process ends.

Error 8746: Firmware update not initiated due to invalid image length
  • Looking at the installer for the previous Intel ME Update (Version 10.0.55.3000), which runs successfully, I saw that the Yoga 12 apparently uses a 1.5M image.
  • The current installer is missing the 1.5M image and contains only a 5M image, which results in the abovementioned error 8746.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Am I doing anything wrong?

Is it possible that the 1.5M image was forgotten in the 10.0.56.3002 update?

Update & Resolution:

I did some more research. Apparently, only Management Engine 11.x is affected by the vulnerabilities; in 10.x as well as lower versions, only AMT is affected. This explains why there is only an updated 5M image, as the 1.5M image comes without AMT. Consumer platforms with ME 10.x (i.e. devices using 1.5M images) do not seem to be vulnerable.

I assume it is therefore safe to hide this update in Lenovo System Update. It is, in my opinion, very misleading that this update is displayed on consumer platforms in the first place.

dermaxe
What's DOS?
Views: 819
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 12: Troubles with Management Engine Firmware Update

i have the same problem

in addition the same problem occurs with optional updates like "Intel chipset driver 10" (no update possible from 10.0.22 to 10.1.1.9) or "intel management engine interface driver 10" which could not be updated to 11.0.6.1194 (installed version 11.0.0.1160)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors