Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AverageJohnDoe
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20DM000VUS) No Audio Output Device is Installed

Greetings, Lenovo community. I've had this laptop (ThinkPad Yoga 14, running 64-bit Windows 8.1) for about four years, and, for the past few months, I've been having small issues with my audio. Video files will play fine, other than them being completely silent. Strangely, though, audio from YouTube videos and (some) installed video games will play. I then decided to update the audio drivers. I found the correct drivers for my machine and uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio device prior to the installation. It completed without any issues. However, when I restarted my laptop, I was greeted with several issues. Firstly, I have no audio, period. Secondly, the computer isn't recognizing the built-in speakers or the headphone jack as being installed. And thirdly, in the Device Manager, neither the speakers nor the headphone jack are listed, and the Realtek HD Audio device under the 'Sound, video, and game controllers' submenu has been replaced with 'Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus'. It is marked with a yellow warning triangle, and the Properties window states that it has not been configured correctly (Code 1). If I click on 'Update driver,' and tell Windows to either search online or allow me to manually locate the driver files (either way, I get the same outcome), it will process for a few seconds, and then say that it is installing the drivers, only to encounter an error--that the Realtek HD Audio device is configured incorrectly. However, this is an endless circle of the same error, as Windows' solution to the incorrectly-configured driver is to update it...and when I try to do that, Windows gives me the aforementioned error. I am stuck, and I don't have any idea what to do. Please help!

I will also attempt to provide any additional details that you may need to assist me, though I'm not sure how promptly I can reply, as I am currently in a rural area in which my Internet connection likes to randomly shut itself off.

AverageJohnDoe
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20DM000VUS) No Audio Output Device is Installed

UPDATE:
I still am unable to resolve this issue. I have tried a handful of other supposed fixes that I found online to no avail. After having reviewed the Community Guidelines, I couldn't find anything against shamelessly bumping your own post, so I hope this isn't against the rules. I really hope that someone can help me, as I have neither the time nor money (I use this computer for school) to sacrifice by taking my computer to a repair place.

LenovoRocket
Paper Tape
Views: 257
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 14 (20DM000VUS) No Audio Output Device is Installed

I had this same issue after I cloned a new SSD and installed it into my Yoga. I was able to resolve this issue by finding the audio device driver in "Device Manager" locate the two drivers labled "High Definition Audio Controller" my two drivers had the yellow explanation so it was easy to find, it can be under "System Devices" in the "Device Manager". One at a time double click "High Definitoin Audio Controller" go to the "Driver" tab select "Update Driver" select "Browse My Computer For Drivers Software" at the bottom select "Let Me Pick From A List of Device Drivers On My Computer" and select the driver "High Definition Audio Controller". Do this for both. 

The yellow explanation symbol went away and my speakers worked instantly. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors