Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lexdanlim
Paper Tape
Views: 254
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad Yoga 14 Auto-Reset resulting in a loss of Operating System

Hi Everyone!

Recently, I bought a Thinkpad Yoga 14 S3 and regretted my decision utterly. It has been causing a lot of problem self generated problems, whilst cosmetic defect occur on the following day of purchase. It has been really a stressful week trying to sought help from Lenovo Technocal Service hotline as I am left in the lurch again, in which I was told to go to the service centre to get it repairs as it is a software issue.

As touted by Lenovo Yoga series of notebooks, this machine is capable to transform into a tablet with a 360 degrees flip, However, on the very first flip, this  flimpsy mahince hinge wall lining on the left edge crack leaving a gap that could not be fixed eventhough i tried popping it back. I guess this is proobably alright as it does not hinder any internal issues beside the fan ventilation. 

However , recently things escalated to something even worst and got me enrage. Software plays a vital role and I should have avoid this brand totally a with how unreliable this business machine is an fter the SuperFish incident and should not be insistent that this is a quality product that I should accquire. The recent upgrade of this machine to Window 10 saw the mouse curosr displayed like a slideshow to reflect how sluggish this i5 mcahine is. Come on lenovo! My thinkpad of 5 years (T410) never have had such issue at all! This is utterly ridiculous and unacceptable. Even with the windows  7 professional installed in the system,  it rans into serveral issues. My Vivado software doesn't run, my unix software pops errors even when the programming done was a simple one.This was what prompted me upgrade to Window 10 which saw me in a state of distress.Over the weekends, while I was working on my laptop, the system did an auto reset whcih saw me fumbling and left in a distressed state as my file wasnt saved. The screen reflected Windows 10 is installing and I waited for it to reset while frantically working on my alterntive laptop to redo my work. I was appalled by such auto function or was it another bug that is awaiting for it to be discovered and resolved?Best part of it, while resetting it HANGED at 35 percent for a total of 6 hours overhaeting with the fan raving loudly!  Part of my 2 weeks worth of hard work are gone which needed to be handed in on Monday. I am extremely upset ad have myself to blame as with my busy schedule and also trusting the machine fully.  I couldn't come into terms how unreliable this business line of notebooks has become.

The worst part was the non existent warranty support that was render that told me to do two test in which it passed but still left me frantically finding for other alternative to load the operating syste into the machine. As with Singapore's atrocious non-existent onsite service, I was told that they have strict protocol that they follow in which software boot load service will have me to travel down to one of the remote areas in certain part of Singapore to get the problem resolved. I guess i have myself to blame for buying a laptop with a non-existent on site warranty and left in a state of distress with no replies from any representitive who maybe too busy to even bother. 

I guess this is the only platform in which I am able to vent my fustration on as my decision ccaused me dearly and I do not wish for anyone to fall into the same plight as me.

SIgning off,

Lexdan

CompTIA
802.11n
Views: 234
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 14 Auto-Reset resulting in a loss of Operating System

Hi Lexdan, 

As you mentioned you have discovered a noisy fan followed by overheating problem which could be a sign of hardware issue, so to figure this out please follow the below steps: 

1- Go to the windows 10 marketplace in your desktop and search for Lenovo Setting and Lenovo companion software and download and install them

2- After installation lunch the Lenovo Companion and run the check up. It will check the total machine health and if there is any hardware issue will report it. 

I guess the issue may come from Fan or heatsink

lexdanlim
Paper Tape
Views: 224
Message 3 of 5

Firstly, I would like to express my gratitude to you for answering my question promptly. Your response is very much appreciated and I am better off with the forum then the service support in Singapore ( what a joke!) . Thanks for the resolution that you have provided but thing is, will this occur again? And if so, we didn't the technical service support identify this supposedly hardware issue to do a on site repair rather than having me going down to the service centre to get it repaired.

There is just one word to describe the after service support that describes their after service support "incompetent ".

Even if I am to do whatever you have recommended , I remain skeptical whether this issue will occur again. I am utterly disappointed with Lenovo and as it goes, "Once bitten, Twice shy." I guess I will avoid this brand altogether
CompTIA
802.11n
Views: 217
Message 4 of 5

Hi Lexdan, 

I understand your concern, but if the root cause will be identify accurately there is no reason the same issue happen again. 

So, just rung the test to make sure what is the root cause. 

Regards, 

lexdanlim
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 5 of 5

Hopefully... it is extremely disruptive towards my schedule and having to redownload all the necessary files again. No administrators will understand my plight, having to beg professors and embarrassed in front of my own peers due to late submission of my work,compounded with the fact that test and exams are round the corner. Till date no form of service rendered. No explanation no resolution. I guess it is true that no one really cares about after sales service anymore.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors