Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lienchen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,817
Message 1 of 20

ThinkPad Yoga 14: wacom digitizer?

Hey guys!
I am looking forward to buy this beauty here: http://shopap.lenovo.com/au/en/laptops/thinkpad/yoga-series/yoga-14/ it's the second one with the 256 GB ssd and i7.
I already asked this question to the Facebook Page of Lenovo Australia and New Zealand, but the guys there didn't get it.
Does this particular laptop come with a wacom digitizer? So could I use, let's say, a wacom intuos pen to draw, make sketches and write notes?

I asked the guys on Facebook if the laptop comes with an active digitizer layer, but all they answered was "it doesn't come with an active pen". They didn't answer on my second question whether or not if it comes at least with a wacom digitizer. That's why I signed up here Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help!

Lienchen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,810
Message 2 of 20

Re: Does this laptop come with a wacom digitizer?

Maybe i should add that I already looked up the details on the sales page and all it says is: "Active pen: none"
Argonaut
Fanfold Paper
Views: 33,729
Message 3 of 20

Re: Does this laptop come with a wacom digitizer?

Ah, another lost soul searching  for the legendary  Active Pen.

Let me start out by saying what many others like you and me have realised long before. Lenovo's information policy regarding the Active Pens has been completely, absolutely horrible. Most customer reps have no information what so ever and those who do are usually wrong. These pens have been "almost ready" for the market for almost half a year now.

I only know this much:

• None of the Thinkpad Yoga 14s and 15s offered currently have support for the Active Pens
  • The Active (Capacitive) Pen technology is made by Wacom but it is different from Wacom's traditional EMR pens  (like the ones supplied  with the TP Yoga 12)
  • The Wacom Active Capacitive technology is very unlikely to be compatible with the older EMR tech.
  • There are a few Thinkpad Yoga 14 with Active Pen models listed at german third party resellers but availability is extremely poor, I don't think a single customer has gotten their hands on an Active Pen model yet
easonq
Paper Tape
Views: 33,692
Message 4 of 20

Re: ThinkPad Yoga 14: wacom digitizer?

Hi, iv done lots research last few days, it apparently DOES come with active pen.

On Australia store, you have to select screen option to the one with BLACK option. This will bring up the the active pen, and adds about $30.

Most sales don't know their stuff and it is confusing from Lenovo.

The pen comes with a holder where you put in to USB slot.
Argonaut
Fanfold Paper
Views: 33,685
Message 5 of 20

Yes I've also heard a few things like that since the beginning of the week but didn't take them too seriously at first. It seems to  be only available in the official stores of some countries. Finally some movement. I wonder if the displayed shipping time of 6 days is reliable.

If you decide to buy it, I and probably a lot of other people would be grateful for an update. Smiley Happy

Lienchen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,621
Message 6 of 20

Hey guys, thanks for the response!
I've seen the offer on the Australian Store and it seems like they switched the models to newer ones. Ones that come with an active pen. Everything by the price of 2000 bucks.

Strange: the day before yesterday I contacted Lenovo again and they responded with "No, there won't be any TPY 14 models with active pen soon". Seems like their own people have no idea of what so ever Smiley Wink

So yeah, I bought the laptop yesterday and the order information says it'll arrive in up to two weeks.
I own a wacom intuos tablet and should be able to tell if it's a traditional active pen or just a capacitive pen.
I'll definitely keep you informed!
Cheers,
Chris
Lienchen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,618
Message 7 of 20

If you're wondering:
I bought the i7 version w/ the anti glare screen. Hope the pen won't scratch it easily Smiley Happy
easonq
Paper Tape
Views: 33,617
Message 8 of 20

Hi Lienchen, Thanks for the update, please let us know.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_yoga_14_ug_en.pdf

If you look on this manual from page 23-25. It explains the active pen.

How much did it cost you? $2000?

I'm about to make decision just waiting some discount offer to pop up, cashrewards had an 10% cashback for it but i missed it. 

It's currently not discounted for education store either, X1C is cheaper than TPY14Smiley Surprised

Lienchen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 33,608
Message 9 of 20

Hi Easonq,
Ok so it is in fact a capacitive pen. I hope it's as detailed as the intuos pen Smiley Happy
Yeah there was the "YOGA14" or "EOFY" coupon. Otherwise it would have cost me $2.500 Smiley Happy

I actually first wanted to buy the Surface Pro 3. But I think it's pretty overpriced, especially if you want a proper keyboard... Furthermore there is no graphics card. Seems like you gotta pay extra for every little detail, like ssd, i7 and RAM. So I guess 2.000 Dollars is actually already a pretty good deal compared to the SP3 Smiley Very Happy

As I said before I think lenovo is currently switching models so sooner or later there should be a discount for student I guess. Smiley Happy
Chris
easonq
Paper Tape
Views: 33,603
Message 10 of 20

I tried to choose the low spec and use option to spec up

i7/8G/256G/940M   $1,984.46  

exactly same like the i7 model,   $15 cheaperSmiley Very Happy

i5/8G/256G/940M   $1,737.43   

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/6135-intel-core-i5-5200u-i7-5500u/

from this article it says not much noticiable difference between the i5 and i7

i5/8G/128G/940M  $1540.81  

I think this one suits me the best,256GB is not enough for me anyway.  I'm going to upgrade to m.2 + hdd like other country's TPY14 configuration.

Top Kudoed Authors