Did you mean: 
DFS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,100
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad Yoga - BitLocker- / TPM-problem

Hi everybody,

I got a very strange problem which I was unable to solve yet:

My ThinkPad Yoga won't work with BitLocker.

After initiation of the "BitLocker system test", it boots to the blue "BitLocker screen" - still, the PIN which was set before is not accepted. After cancellation of the test, Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update 1) states that the test failed, because the TPM could not be written.

While doing some troubleshooting, I recognized that BIOS states the TPM being in "MFG Mode" (= manufacturing mode?); this might be caused by a motherboard change done by the Lenovo service approx. 1 month ago.

My question is:

Does anybody know how to make the TPM leave "MFG mode" or any other solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

David

picture: sytem infos

picture: TPM infos

keith_eves
Paper Tape
Views: 2,541
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga - BitLocker- / TPM-problem

I noticed this when I had a Yoga returned from repair, the motherboard has been replaced twice, once to cure the original fault, the second time to try to get the chip out of Mfg Mode.

The person I spoke to at the IBM hardware call centre hadn't come across this before.

The yoga has been decrypted and encrypted again, and totally rebuilt.  In both cases the TPM chip seemed to work.

I am trying to work out a way of testing the bitlocker is actually working, i.e. it will ask for a bitlocker key if it detects any interference.

I am slightly worried that we are not able to clear the chip.

Any input from Lenovo/IBM would be appreciated.

rtlinux
Token Ring
Views: 1,352
Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Yoga - BitLocker- / TPM-problem

any news on this?  i have a tech who just pinged me on this exact issue and BOTH times the board came back with the TPM set as MFG.yoga12-tpm.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors